Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Trim spool

Since I’m in as big a hurry to get out of trouble as the next guy, I think I’ll just get busy and show you something cute:

100_9248a

Here’s where it becomes apparent that my photography skills are sorely lacking.   I don’t know how to style a wooden spool so it looks awesome, I just know how to make it bigger.  Too bad there isn’t a bunch of incredible detail there for you to feast your eyes on.  (Feel free to print this out in poster size if you want, though, I think that would look great over your couch…)

100_9249a

This was another one of those four-second projects that would’ve taken me twelve seconds if I’d had more wooden spools.  Amy at Nana Company made some awhile ago (I just tried to find a link for you and failed) and I loooooved them.  I went right away riffling through my boxes.  A couple quick circles of scrapbook paper applied with Mod Podge (oh Mod Podge, I really do love you) and a little end bit of rick rack, and it’s done! 

Sweet little things like this remind me of something I saw awhile ago in this book by Cath Kidston, which I loved so much:  she uses a pretty old china teacup to scoop her laundry soap powder.  I saw that and just went YES!  Why not, right?  Those gorgeous little cups are less than a dollar in the thrift store, and who cares if they have a chip or two, and then your laundry day is made a tiny bit happier.  I just love that.  I think these spools (and these from Liberty ooooooh!) are like that, too.  I think I’d like to hunt down some thinner spools (so more will fit on it) and do this for all my trims, isn’t it lovely?  Make your life sweet, wherever you can. 

3 comments:

  1. A simple idea with big impact! It would be so pretty to have a grouping of spools on a little shelf, out where you could admire the trim, instead of stuffed in a container. The Liberty link made me drool. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy some scrapbook paper. I just bought my first bottle of mod podge, and I'm constantly on the lookout for something to paste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen - such a good idea and they look so cute. I can imagine a whole shelf of them all lined up in a row all different colours ... total eye candy!!!! xxx ps LOVED the butterflies pps I nominated you for a Liebster Award yesterday on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I love your last sentence hon. I am grateful to the clever, pretty blogs I follow for inspiring me to make my life and surroundings a little sweeter. Any broken china cups around here get used as a mini herb pot on my bench or as an 'egg checker' to crack into before adding to the bowl of ingredients). The laundry idea is perfect - I will pop one in their right now! Have a fab week. L x

    ReplyDelete