Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vintage Flowers Quilt, the beginning

100_9417a

I had a pile of old sheets—I don’t know whether to say they’re “vintage” because I don’t actually know how old they are, but they look vintage, so maybe they are.  I’m so tempted by them, and they look so pretty, stacked there together.  They are (mostly) not cotton, so I don’t think they’re very comfy to sleep on.  So they just sat there, looking pretty, and kind of accumulating since every time I go to the thrift store, I look at the sheets, you know, just in case.  The flowery ones just shout Take me home!  So I do.  Originally, there were wild ideas about smothering the bed in these sheets, mismatching the pillow cases and everything, but they were just kind of rough and itchy.  But I kept buying them, and the linen shelves were groaning.  And then there was this.  After I started seeing the sheets as fabric, they suddenly got even more interesting. 

Over the weekend, I got out the scissors, and I got this far before the poor old Bernina started limping again:

100_9454a

The gingham sashing was a lucky find—quick story:  the inspiration quilt I saw used a dark chocolate brown solid, and I thought it was gorgeous, but I decided it might overwhelm the flowery lightness of the sheet fabrics, so I made up my mind to find a brown calico or maybe, just maybe a brown gingham, hopefully 1/4” brown and white gingham, but I can never ever find that, and if I do it’ll be brown and tan, or there will only be one yard left.  You know how it goes.  The first store I tried had nothing, not even brown and tan, but the second store had it, a huge bolt of it.  On the clearance rack.  So I bought the whole thing.  Now you can look for this gingham check to show up all over the place around here.

100_9450a

If all the stars align, I might have a new quilt by the weekend.  Fingers crossed!

I want to thank Sandra at Chaos, Kids, Crochet, and Cake for the lovely award—gosh, craft bloggers are so awesome.  Her blog is beautiful, and chock full of craftiness.  I’d love for you to go and visit! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow I can't wait to see this quilt i'm loving the fabrics and that brown gingham sets it off lovely.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and I love the vintage florals very pretty. Can't wait to see the big tah-dah on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such a soft spot for vintage linens. I have a fab vintage and thrift shop near me...too near me....and she has lots of vintage linens, which I often gobble right up! Love your quilt in progress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to be nice, Kristen! Have you ever had a look at Annette's blog www.myrosevalley.blogspot.com
    ...she does lovely quiting. I even ordered a piece of vintage sheet from her, all the way from Switzerland to RSA, to make a lining! Well...going to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always on the lookout for those sheets, but can't seem to find a good source. (I think there are women running around snatching these up like crazy, and I'm coming late to the party.) Gingham is the perfect choice to pair with these sheets. It's going to be really CUTE!! BTW, I bought a few half yards of gingham at Joann's yesterday for an embroidery project. There was no brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grrrrrrrr!
    Now I'm quite good with charity shop finds, but decent fabric, I am seriously deficient in.
    What a lovely stash you have!
    Love the brown gingham. Will look super-cute.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome with the gingham sashing! Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the look of your quilt, and what a great buy the brown gingham is.
    Look forward to seeing it finished (although how you will find the time whilst knitting too is beyond me - have you found a way of making the days longer???!!!!)
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete