Thursday, February 9, 2012

Caravan Hexagon Boots

100_9580a

I can’t even tell you how many times I have sat here in the living room with bare feet and wished I’d put on a pair of socks.  “You should go get some socks on,” says Dean, looking at my purpling toes.  “Yeah, I should,” I always say, not getting up.  I’d put on my slippers, but since I wear those everywhere, including sometimes when going outside to the chicken coop, I have to keep them off the white couch. 

So I was having a flick through Ravelry the other day, just browsing “granny squares” because I frankly love to look at granny square projects, when I suddenly saw these and time stood still for a minute.  I needed a pair of those in the most desperate way.  There was a flurry of yarn as I tore through the cupboard and then ten gorgeous hexagons were born.  That was the easy part. 

100_9586a

The original pattern (here) only calls for six hexagons to make ankle-length booties, which are cute but I wanted boots, baby!  I wanted spectacular!  Outrageous!  The inspiration boots had no accompanying notes for modifications, so I had to figure them out as I went, by studying the photo.  There was a lot of ripping back and a lot of re-doing. 

100_9588a

These are just for wearing while hanging around the house.  (Note to self:  they are not for wearing into the chicken coop.)  They are customized blankets for my feet.  This is a pair of hot pink and scrappy visible symbols of my purely lazy nature—I do not like to get up off the couch, leaving the fireside and the warm room and go get a pair of socks.  Now there is no longer any need, these are right here! 

100_9590a

Now everything looks like it could be made up of hexagons.  The sky is the limit. 

45 comments:

  1. W.O.W Perfect for winter. Now quickly figure out a way to make them non-slip? For my wooden floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use puffy paint to make little non-skid patterns on the soles. :)

      Delete
    2. ....or some silicone caulking...a trick from Martha Stewart for use on the bottom side of a rug, little dots of it could work on socks too maybe...?

      Delete
  2. Tus zapatillas me parecen preciosas y estunpendas para los fríos que estamos sufriendo.Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias! Ellos son muy acogedoras. :)

      Delete
  3. I think these are the cutest things I've ever seen! Wow! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, those are the cutest things ever!! I am extremely jealous of your pair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Kristen!!! te ganaste un premio1!! es el The Versatile Blogger y te elegí porque adoro lo que haces se nota que le pones mucho cariño a tus trabajos felicidades besos Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, muchas gracias! Me siento honrado. :)

      Delete
  6. These are truly splendiferous....i am very very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love Love Love them!!! They are so different and pink was Definately the way to go!! These would be great with soles to wear them outside! Beautiful, wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are amazing!!!!! Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did an amazing job with these Kristen . I'm not sure I could have figured it out...love them :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, you all are so nice! I love crafty people. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...incredible, i'd never have thought of that!
    thank you for your very sweet comment
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  12. aha brilliant! Any chance of a pattern or recepe for these XD I would love to make a pair of these or 4

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really really love it!!! Superbe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. I've seen a similar pattern online but decided against making them as I go through a pair of slippers every 6 months, I don't think they would last that long if I made them. Now remember, don't wear them to the chicken coop! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg! these are fantastic, fabulous! you are incredibly clever (and determined!) love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - I so need those (as I sit with cold feet as I blog)they are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are great! I really need this pair of boots. I'm starting tomorrow!

    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are GORGEOUS! Love the colours and design. Just brilliant. Any chance you might write up your pattern? I NEED a pair of these!
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  20. My cold feet are screaming for a pair of these! Perfect!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have literally just fallen off the couch when I saw this post!!! They are beyond gorgeous - they are simply stunning! Seriously - I can't stop ooohing and aaahing over them and I have the biggest dose of jealousy you can possibly imagine. These will be going to the top of my to make list for winter in a few months time. Is there nothing you can't make I ask myself? You rock!!! Now who said that crochet was for nanas - WRONG! Have a fabulous week hon (complete with totally stylish, warm feet). L xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these!!! Would also make fab Xmas stockings to hang up!!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent, I agree, don't wear them out to the chickens, or you will be bringing back your own non-skid bits into the house! Love them, they are so cheery. From a fellow chicken owner, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. KB,
    These are totally awesome. OMG. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are right up my street! love everything about them and you did a wonderful job x

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are TO DIE FOR... So warm & cuddly looking. Love the colours too.. Best Wishes, Hahnsmum..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love them!!! and gotta have me some!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. I too have been perusing all things granny square lately. I love those boots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. WIll you PLEASE write this up??? I'd love to buy the pattern from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ya'll are so kind! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :)

    Since this is not my original idea, I really can't write up the pattern, but I think if you make ten hexagons and sew them together per the pictures, you'll be able to figure it all out. Make the soles according to the original instructions and then sew them to the boots in the way that will make them fit you best. You can read about all my modifications here: http://www.cozymadethings.blogspot.com/2012/02/gingham-blanket-progress-report-and-few.html.

    Good luck--you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoops, the link didn't work:

    http://www.cozymadethings.blogspot.com/2012/02/gingham-blanket-progress-report-and-few.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh man, these are spectacular indeed, lady!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello dear plz how i can makes one like it>>>can u send me the pattren and thanks alot>>>>alarqam20008@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete