Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gingham blanket progress report, and a few boot details

100_9544b

Gradually, this pile of yarn is being turned into a pile of blanket.  I’ve done six strips of thirteen squares so far, and I’m hoping to have the stamina to make eleven strips, though I may bail at nine.  Then I’ll whipstitch them together and put on an unobtrusive border, and it’ll be done, after which time I’ll probably wander sadly from room to room, wishing I had a big garter stitch blanket to gently, mindlessly knit as my brain goes on about other things. 

Thank you all for your lovely comments on my hexagon slipper boots!  A few have asked me to write up a pattern, and while a whole pattern is beyond my abilities, I can give you the basics of what I did to modify the original.

100_9558a

As you know, I first made ten hexagons according to the pattern, in five pairs of scrappy color combinations.  In other words, each boot is an assortment of scrap hexagons, but both boots are the same.  Then I chose two different hot pink yarns and worked three additional rounds of sc (all terms are US) on each hexagon, alternating light, dark, light.  So now, the hexagons are bigger than the pattern intends.  Good thing I’m using the smallest hook they recommend—US F, or 3.75mm. 

Next, I crocheted them together using the darker pink as called for in the pattern, and adding two more hexagons to the leg portion of each boot.  At this point, I left the bottom of the boots open and worked on the upper leg, peering at the photo and figuring it out as I went. 

100_9585a

I began at the back of the leg, joined with a sl st, and worked a few sc, then a few hdc, then a few dc, then one tc, then a few dc, then a few hdc, then a few sc again—in effect, using the graduated heights of those stitches to fill in the “dent” at the point where the two hexagons came together.  I just improvised this as I went, so I don’t know how many of each to tell you—just work the single crochets where the hexagon is at its highest point, and work the triple crochet in the lowest point, and fill in between with the other stitches.  The first round didn’t quite fill in the dent, so the second round was worked much the same way, using sc and hdc.  These two rounds level out the top edge.  Then, alternating colors as my whims dictated, I worked four rounds of dc3 clusters (as described in the original pattern) three rounds of dc, and one final round of sc.  I toyed with the idea of adding yet another round of fancy shell edging at the top, and I still may do that, but it seemed like it was getting to be decorative enough already.

Next, I made the boot soles. You work them separately, and I made them strictly according to Priscilla’s instructions—this was a technique new to me, but easily figured out, if tough on the knuckles (if you try it, you’ll see) and when I sewed them to the boots according to the instructions and tried them on, the fit was not so great—closely fitted at the toe, but very baggy at the ankle.  So I took the soles off, sewed the two hexagons at the back of the heel together at the bottom (I don’t know how to explain that any better—you’ll just see that there are two hexagons at the back of the heel, and if you sew the bottom edges of them together, you’ll have it) and then sewed the sole down on top of that.  The sole went over the hexagons at the heel, and was seamed to the toe hexagon as called for in the instructions.  The sole is double thick now, at the heel only, and the two hexagons edges come together at the inside of the boot, under my foot.  I hope this makes sense—I think you’ll see what I mean when you get there.

100_9589a

Those are my modifications to this already very clever pattern, and the results are relaxed and comfy and fabulous!  You’ll probably be able to wear these with socks, and might even be able to sew in a fleecy liner (somebody out there on Ravelry did that, I think) and you can forget being able to fit them in your shoes, but for snuggling up on the couch working on your endless miles of garter stitch blanket in three exciting shades of taupe, they are perfect.  Good luck! 

Many thanks, too, to the very talented Sandra for the lovely award--gosh, Sandra is crocheting circles around me.   Muchas gracias, mi amiga! 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing up your modifications. I can't stop looking at these socks, they are amazing! I'm making a crochet blanket (in color) a la dottie angel, similar to your gingham. I think those neutral squares are going to be beautiful, especially on your white couch. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Kristen gracias por los piropos jajaja, pero te lo mereces , que belleza esas botas de media re locas y divertidas me encantaron, cuando llegue aquí el invierno voy a recurrir a tu blog de archivo jaja besitos Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ecru colored blankie! And love those mocks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about :) but those hexagon boots are sensational. I've only made a few hexagons, one was a dishcloth that I gave away. Need to find that pattern again. I would like to try and make some crocheted slippers, but not sure I could ever do those boots. You are brilliant! hope your day is a good one. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! And I know, crochet patterns read like hieroglyphics to me, and I never know what the heck any of it means until I do it. And thank you very much, m'dear. :)

      Delete
  5. I love your blog, it's so interesting and well written and there are so many lovely and varied things that you show us. I wish I were not such a procrastinator. I put off the things I WANT to do. Am due to start my socks tomorrow, thanks to the help you gave me. I've written it down here, so now it has to happen!

    Thanks for giving the modifications for these boots, I think they are brilliant.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello kristen,
    you makes wonderful things.your hexagon boots are so amazing....love,love.
    i like your blog!!!!!
    have a nice weekend,
    greetings from germany,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blanket is looking really beautiful, and you are very clever figuring out how to crochet in 3D. The slipper boots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting here looking at my poor bare feet - nowhere near as colourful as your toasty tootsies! Thank you so much for all these details - I will most definitely be trying to make a pair. Your blanket is looking fabulous too hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the boots! very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love those colourful boots! I bet they are warm!
    The new blanket is looking well underway, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! I can't knit but I can crochet! I really want to do this project, as I never find nice projects to crochet, just knitting... Thanks!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What size foot would your version fit? would it fit a size 8.5 in US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my own shoe size, so yes! There's quite a bit of wiggle room, so I'd say it would fit anywhere from US 7 to US 9 or 10. :)

      Delete
  13. Mary van AsperenApril 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

    Love your boots, working on them myself, I just can't figure out the soles...could you help me out?
    What does unworked loop mean?

    ReplyDelete