Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hand towels and corners

100_9605a

And now I have a humungous pile of hand towels.  This is the second half of a project I began back in August, after I shockingly sadly fortuitously shrank a two-sided cotton shower curtain in the wash.  That episode was actually a perfect example of the way I operate:  first, make a stupid mistake.  Shrinking something in the laundry is rookie stuff, and this isn’t my first rodeo, so you’d think I’d have that one nailed down by now, but clearly not.  Then, make lemons into lemonade by looking at other uses for the busted/shrunken/stained up thing of which I am suddenly in possession. 

So, clutching my ruined shower curtain in my hands, I thought to myself, what besides a shower curtain is made of terry cloth and waffle-weave cotton?  Well, towels!  First I made these, and they worked out pretty well, except they are mostly white and therefore I don’t like to use them.  Do you all have that problem?  I have a serious problem with that problem.  The other day, somebody used one of them to wipe the counter, and to myself, I wailed, What are you doing????  That towel is white!!!  Of course, that’s what Oxi-clean is for, so I know it’s just me and I’m working on it. 

100_9602a

The curtain yielded six hand towel sized pieces of this waffle-y woven cotton, which I cut out last summer, then realized they would need bias edging, and became overwhelmed by the prospect, so I stashed them in a basket on a high shelf and tried to forget about it.  But a crisis revolving around the arrival of company, combined with an actual shortage of towels firmed my resolve and I finally got it together to finish them. 

There are six towels, which means there are 24 corners, and so I decided to use this tedious chore as an opportunity to work on my miters.  There were quite a few failures:

100_9609a

Bleah!  But there were also a lot of successes:

100_9611a

There were more good than bad, I’m happy to say.  I do love me a nice sharp mitered corner.  I don’t make them often enough to really do it well, but I want to.  Twenty-four corners later, I think I’ve got this.

I’ll be away for the next few days; my mom is coming for a visit, and together we are heading somewhere fun!  See you next week. 

17 comments:

  1. Really pretty Kristen & well done with all those corners! They would rather fill me with dread too & would probably still be lurking waiting to be finished one mythical day ;-) Have fun times with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kristen, those are beautiful! i had to laugh at your honesty, although my mum used to say never point out your flaws.
    such a clever idea, i love the way you repurpose. have fun with your company! and use those towels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really impressed. I would not have thought about making anything out of the disaster except alot of pouting and stamping and probably yelling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few so-so corners are nothing compared to you now having 6 very pretty towels to use. You have inspired me!!

    blessings, jilly
    stalking from notes of sincerity;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them very much and I am impressed. White is my preferred choice for household linens. If the become too badly stained try boiling them with some bicarb or was it cream or tartar? Since the advent of regular use of oxygen bleaches and drying in the sun my whites are doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are brilliant! Not many folks would think to do that. I don't sew. When I see all that you do, I sure wish I could. Wouldn't have the patience to learn at this point. :/ Enjoy time with your mom! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad someone else shrinks stuff in the washing machine.
    The Mister is always complaining that this jumper or that one are too short. What I fail to understand is that no-one else's stuff shrinks. May be he is still growing (as I keep telling him).
    Lovely towels. Good idea.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look gorgeous! I have border envy!!!
    Hhave a great time with your Mum!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your towels, what a great way to brighten them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnifique. Vos ouvrages comme vos photos sont superbes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi , my name is Luna , first time in your blog and I'm so happy I found it,you have such a great blog and beautiful projects.Love it and I will follow it.I do love to crochet to ....love to make granny and more...I'm inviting you to my blog and have fun , if you see a good project a pattern or an idea ....feel free to obtain it...everything is for sharing in my blog...Thanks and have a wonderful week.

    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good miters. What a perfectly great way to salvage a near miss!! Have fun with your Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowee - look at those fabulous corners!! There really is no end to the wonderful, clever things you can whip up is there? Have a lovely weekend hon.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoodness, l can see hand stitching & no machine stitches on edges of these towels... Very good.. Shows you really care... Best Wishes, Hahnsmum..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty towels! :)
    I've got something similar in my mind, too...
    :)

    ReplyDelete