Monday, February 27, 2012

Honey Cowl

100_9886a

Even though it was 60 degrees F and the daffodils were blooming in Central Park and the birds would have been singing if there had been any birds, and even though my mama (who is a Midwestern gal and knows a thing or two about weather) thought it was a little too warm, everyone on the street in New York was bundled up like they were heading off into a blizzard at the South Pole.   The drag queen being filmed for an arty short movie in the park was quickly hustled into his fur coat between takes.  The nannies on the Upper West Side were swathed in wool.  The pouty-lipped and long-legged knee-boot wearers of Midtown were wrapped in three layers of puffy coat and cowls.   These people look like they have been cold before and do not want to go there again. 

100_9885a

New York is a city on foot.  Here’s what I learned:  if you walk as much as they do, blocks and blocks of walking; it might be several blocks to your subway station, and there are stairs to climb everywhere, then you can eat all the pizza, hot dogs, gelato, and foot-tall pastrami on rye sandwiches you can handle and still you will look like a million bucks.  This is great to know. 

100_9891a

Meanwhile, it is not 60 degrees F here in my neighborhood at home.  It is still pretty cold.  So I made this cowl, to wear while I walk and walk and walk.  I used a gorgeous soft wool gifted to me by a very generous knitter, two skeins of Shepherd’s Wool, in “Beaches” and “Milk Chocolate”.  The yarn was made in my home state of Michigan, where it is also still pretty cold.  The cowl pattern can be found here, and as you can see, it knits up fast. 

100_9888a 

That thing is the soul of urban chic right now, and it’s cozy, too.  I thought I saw Steven Spielberg wearing one of these last week.  But it wasn’t him. 

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know you are from MICHIGAN ... so am I. =) =) =) Love.Love.Love Shepherds Wool!!!! Email me your addy and I'll post you something special spun by them. I know you will love it. xoxoxo

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy cowl! I adore the ones I made similarly, an infinity scarf, doubled up into a yummy cowl when really cold.
    NYC is fab, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of New York, and the teenage son being patient is perfect. I took my son to the yarn store in NC once, I said just give me 10 minutes that can't be too long. He assured me that even ten minutes was too long for a yarn store. Ah Children......
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, yes that looks good - especially with the red jacket.
    Henny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly why everyone in Paris is so thin -- all that walking, walking, walking. They even eat baguettes on the run in between subway stations. Your cowl is lovely. I've been wanting to crochet one but haven't done so yet. Our cool days are likely coming to an end very soon though so wouldn't be able to make use of it now. Loved your pictures of NY. have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great pattern. I really like it in the stripe. And your red jacket. And the pastrami on rye, pizza, hot dog, and gelato thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! i love your cowl, the colors are great and now i feel i must try this shepards wool too!

    oh ny, be still my heart. did i tell you my youngest moved there 18 months ago and i've been 5 times now (since she's lived there). now my husband has forbidden me to go anymore before our upcoming trip. even if you only eat at the hotdog stand, it can be expensive! my girl keeps luring me back with giftcards though, to purl soho. love love love nyc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your cowl - totally my kind of colours! Now if only I could knit fast enough to actually get one made for winter ....

    ReplyDelete