Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Knitter: a crochet story

 

I finally, suddenly, had 400 little three-round grannies (oh, how lovely they look, all piled together in their neat stacks!  I love them.  I want to take them out to dinner.  I want to smooth their bangs and hem their pants and teach them about life.)  It’s time to join them together, and I’ve had so many brilliant suggestions about which color to use for the joining round.  Lots of you, including a few people who have never been wrong yet about color, have suggested I should go with a lovely pale gray, but I can’t, and here’s why:

 

100_9646a

I already have a gray-bordered granny square blanket.  (For the record, I also have a red one, you may remember the ice blue one, and I also have a chocolate brown one I haven’t even mentioned yet.  The granny sickness is fully upon me.)

This was my first granny square blanket, made back when I was a Knitter.  Not just a knitter, like I am now, but a Knitter, and one who didn’t understand the crazy impulses of others to use hooks and scraps and orange yarn.  In my life as a Knitter, I once had occasion to be the owner of three skeins of Cascade 220 in bubblegum pink, and could not, for the life of me, imagine what I might ever do with it.  Really.  In my life as a Knitter, I had a big stash cupboard full of yarn that was either gray or brown or cream, or some variant of those colors.   I don’t want to suggest that I wasn’t happy as a Knitter, but I will say that having both needles and hooks in my life has made me a much more fulfilled girl.  I still knit things, lots of things, and I am still probably mostly a knitter, but I am not, any longer, a Knitter.  Once, I would never have entertained the idea that crocheting a blanket might be worth my time, even though I loved crocheting as a child.  It just wasn’t on my radar. 

Then came Alicia, who made these granny squares, and my mind opened a crack, and I found myself at the yarn shop buying four bags of yarn in every color.  And so it began. 

All of which is to say that I have decided, in my arbitrary way, to use white as the joining color for this new scrappy, motley, super-colored granny blanket.   I think there really, in the end, were too many different colors in this thing for me to be able to make a non-gray choice.  White was the original intent anyway, and as I said before, seeing this really sealed it.

100_9629a

Progress is slow—good grief, there’s almost as much crocheting left to do as I have done already!  But there’s me with my hook, and I am happy. 

20 comments:

  1. It's going to be so lovely! I've really been enjoying your blog, marveling at how prolific you are, and admiring your color sense. Can't wait to see this one when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White is perfect. And you are so right about life as a knitter, I was the same way and my whole world opened up to amazing possibilities when I began to crochet. Now being able to do both is the best of worlds.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white borders! They are absolutely stunning with all those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially love the yellow and orange square in the front of this blanket. It's going to be really beautiful.

    It's hard to explain how knitting and crochet differs isn't it? I think they both do different things. Crochet seems more fun, colourful (although it doesn't have to be)and able to make quite useless but very pretty things, while knitting is more everyday, while being elegant and utilitarian - while having the ability to be very beautiful with every stitch. I don't have a favourite (and am equally average at both!). If I stray away from one of them I feel pulled back.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty. I am trying to learn HOW to make a granny square at the moment :) very confusing to a left hander, but I will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking gorgeous Kristen. I love the white border...really sets off all those pretty colours
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. White is good Kristen. It makes all those wonderful colors pop. Gorgeous so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, something tells me no matter which color you'd have chosen, it would be beautiful. love that it makes you so happy.
    lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your original pale gray granny, Kristen. It's not a colour I would have thought to use but really works. I'm sure your white version will be equally lovely.
    Karen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. xxohhh i do love a granny square.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I love your blog! I think white will be beautiful. I am making the harlequin stitch blanket now, and I was wondering, how long and wide did you make yours? It just looks so luscious and snuggly!

    erinsplayinghooky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I'm granny squarin' along too with no idea how I will join them together. :) I'm just enjoying the process of the making. Happy weekend wishes to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The white is a fabulous choice gorgeous girl! You have the patience of a saint joining all those babies. Can't wait to see the finished project - it will be AMAZING!!! You really can't beat a granny square, small or large. I adore them.
    Have a fab week!
    Leah
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. White is always good. Can't wait to see it finished! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How are you joining? The sc method? (DC in our terms here in England) or sewing them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using the join-as-you-go method described/invented by the lovely Lucy at Attic24. Check it out, it's SO clever!

      http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-asyougo-sqaures.html

      Delete
  16. I know you've started with the white, but how about a nice leafy green next time (sounds like there will be a next time lol). My mom made an afghan of nasturtium colors and surrounded the squares with one of three shades of nice deep leafy green. It was one of the items I told my dad last year (after her death) that I really wanted. It is still beautiful if a little felted. Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, leaf green sounds gorgeous! I can picture it with the nasturtium colors right now--what a great idea. (Oh yes, there will be a next time! lol) Thanks for the inspiration. :)

      Delete
  17. Fabulous, I love your transition into the multicolored world of the crocheted granny square blanket. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete