Monday, February 13, 2012

Little Leaf Whimsy

100_9635a

I am constitutionally unable to leave any flat surface uncovered.  There was a little table that needed a dose of something pretty, so here is this piece of whimsy to be of remedy.  It was much more sharp and square before I removed the ill-advised ball fringe that I originally added around the edge, which certainly looked whimsical, but which, I eventually felt, added a little too much goofiness to the whole thing.  Now it just needs a good pressing at the edges, and it will snap to attention. 

100_9628a

This is a quilt block design called “Little Leaves” from this book, by Elizabeth Hartman.  I used an assortment of scraps, mostly from my much-loved and ever-shrinking stash of Loulouthi, and pressed lightweight fusible web to the wrong side of the fabric pieces.  Then I traced the leaf patterns onto the paper side of the web and cut them all out.  Now, I think there must be a better way to remove the paper backing from the fabric at this point, because picking at it with my fingernail and cussing a lot didn’t seem to work that well and it took most of the morning.  Anyway, once that was done, I fused the leaves to the white backing with a hot iron and blanket stitched around them with embroidery floss.  Then I stitched the whole thing to a second square of white muslin and turned it right side out, pressing well.  [At which point I added the aforementioned ball fringe, feeling all the while, sinkingly, that it was not working, and so this morning, I took it off again.  I don’t know, now I’m thinking the ball fringe was kind of cool.  Indecision!]

100_9640a

It is going to live with an art student whose current medium is charcoal, so I rather fear for it, and actually I assume it will not last long.  Better enjoy it now. 

You might want to see it with the fringe:

100_9618a

Oh dear, now I like it again.  Sigh.

20 comments:

  1. I like it with the ball fringe and think it would make a really cute pillow, too. Love the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leaf whimsy is charming. Lucky friend! I've been using Loulouthi to make star blocks. It's one of my favorite lines, too. Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely cute! Both ways look great. But my most favorite is with the fringe. I'm going to have to pull my copy of that book out and give the projects a second glance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your leaves Kristen :0) You are really inspiring ..... I L O V E D your boots, but know that they will be WAY beyond me,they must make you smile and feel warm and happy all over!
    I have a new blog and hope you have time to pop over sometimg
    http://sunshineattic.wordpress.com
    hope to see you there, but I will keep calling on you ..... often!
    Val xx Berkshire

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off I thought 'without the fringe', then I wasn't so sure and wondered. My daughter though was positive and very decisive about it (and I didn't tell her what I thought first). She said 'definitely without'.

    Having thought about it, I do think that I love it best without the fringe as it allows the lovely leaves to be deservedly more centre stage.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the different pieces of fabric that you have used as leaves. What a great way to ad print in my life. Did i mention that print scares me?:)

    Kisses and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Fear not the prints, Adrianna! Something like this--mostly white, little doses of the scary stuff--is indeed a good way to get started. Good luck! ;D

      Delete
  7. Love the fringe.
    It's got a fabulous kitsch feel to it and maybe makes it feel more 'finished'?
    Oh, but I like it plain and simple, too.
    What a quandary.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the fringe too. Very cute! Different brands of fusible web work better than others. The one that my LFS sells is horrible. I use heat n bond or wonder under and always have good results. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fringe, but it looks great without it too. I have yet to do fusible appliqué. Did you machine sew it down or do it all by hand? I have to confess I have not been doing much lately. You are so productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to machine zigzag it down, and it just looked terrible, so I got busy with my seam ripper and then did it by hand. :)

      Delete
  10. Kristen, it's lovely. Without the bobbles, though ;-) I would rather use a red/orange blanket stitch around the edge then.
    My sis gave me a super Orla Kiely cabin bag for my 40th - the leaf patter would look great next to this cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a simple reddish orange blanket stitch around the edge! Stel, you just solved it. :)

      Delete
  11. I love it! Love the leaves and the fabrics. I like it a lot better without the fringe though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE IT!!! I'd have to make it into a cushion cover tho. Too beautiful for anything else.... p.s. definitely without the ball fringe - too distracting. lol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything you do! I actually love the fringe but I can see that opinions are divided on that. No matter what you decide, it'll be fantabulous! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really pretty - i love the fabrics you've used. I'm with the crowd saying better without the fringe, although I do love a bobble fringe. Although now I look at them both again.......you'll just have to make another with a fringe!

    Thanks for being as inspiring as ever - my output has increased this year helped by thinking of how much you manage to achieve!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete