Saturday, February 25, 2012

Love Letter

100_9717

Let us caption this photo.  I will call it “Teenage Boy Being Patient.”  I was not about to go to New York without visiting that incredible nexus of taste and style and visible demonstrations of color theory in action that is Purl Soho.  It is small, but every inch of the store counts, and that wall of yarn up there?  That is a work of art.  It was so hard to know where to start, because I wanted all of it, and then it was so hard to know when to quit.  In fact, I sort of want to live upstairs at Purl, with a view of  the “Eat Your Veggies” graffiti on the building next door.  I would buy coffee in the East Village and then bring it home on the subway (oh, the subway!  Surprise, the subway in NYC is wonderful) and then carry it home to my loft on Broome Street in Soho, made of windows and brick and filled with all my crochet blankets and maybe a bunch of expressionist art painted by my bohemian friends.   That coffee would be the best coffee I’d ever had, and I would walk to Chinatown and have dumplings for dinner.  Then I’d come home, crawl out onto the fire escape, and knit and knit and knit.  That’s the dream. 

Rockefeller Plaza looks like this:
100_9834

Strawberry Fields in Central Park looks like this:

CentralPark2

That’s pretty nice.  I’m just saying.  Well done, New York.  Okay, back to work.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, nothing like a visit to a fabric or yarn store to induce groaning in a son:)
    I would love to go to PurlSoho. Very cool picture of Rockefeller Plaza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly would be a wonderful thing to stand in front of all that yarn at Purl Soho! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, thanks for taking us to NY, with the cool teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go to NY but will probably never get there so thank you soooo much for this post. If you want to go again (especially to Purl Soho) please do and just say it's for me!!! lol x p.s. can I have the apartment next to yours?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are having such a lovely time. I feel the same way about London that you feel about New York. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ...love all the yarns.Happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting trip. The trees in the Rockefeller Plaza look so pretty. I have often fancied lights in the trees outside my house all year round but I just haven't the guts leave them out after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your son is a good sport! The sight of all that yarn in Purl would have had me swooning! Sounds like you had a good time. Can't wait to see what you brought home with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good lad!
    So glad you are having fun - those colours of yarn are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to go to PurlSoho. Very cool picture of Rockefeller Plaza.Sounds like you had a good time.thank you for sharing article!

    ReplyDelete