Sunday, March 4, 2012

Teeny cross-stitch heart

100_9899a

A few weeks ago, I became the lucky recipient of a serious embroiderer’s de-stashing, and turned immediately to this darling book for inspiration. 

100_9898a 

I’ve been thinking a lot about why we craft, and probably there are as many reasons as there are people.  High on my own list of reasons is that the repetitive motions of needle through canvas or fabric or linen or yarn is just soothing, calming, quiet.  Stillness is not my default setting, and I love, more and more, the steadiness that needlework brings me.  It can be a bridge over troubled water.

100_9900a

It can fill the empty places, on your walls and in your spirit, too.

10 comments:

  1. i love the colour you've used to stitch the heart and the design is really interesting..i'm drawn more and more to cross stitch too..i am always on the lookout for small patterns that don't take too much time that i can use to embellish cards and tea towels and so on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart is so lovely. I feel the same way about handwork. It is so soothing. And the round frame sets the heart off perfectly. Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your words kristen and your wee stitched heart. and those needle cases! so cute. as always, you inspire me so much.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That heart design is stunning hon! It looks amazing on your wall. Clever gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the heart. My default setting is also restless and I find needlecrafting almost meditative. If I'm really stressed I crochet really really fast until all the stress seems to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, there are many reasons.
    Beautiful heart, so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about the soothing, calm and quiet. I usually never sit down during the day unless I'm working on some project. B.C.(before crochet) my butt barely hit a chair seat. Now I appreciate the down time more than ever. Your heart is delightful, and lucky you getting a stash of embroidery supplies. Take care, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty, I have been cross stitching hearts a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, simple yet effective. x

    ReplyDelete