Monday, April 16, 2012

Apple Blossom Crochet Handbag

100_0347b

Thanks to our very weird non-winter, the fruit trees are all in bloom already, a month early.  I can’t help worrying that the bees will not have got the message that it is go-time, and won’t come to do the pollinating, and all the blossoms will wither, unfulfilled.   Do bees know about these things?  Actually, I think they do.  Bees are pretty awesome. Maybe it will be okay.

We had a jam-packed weekend, with no time leftover for anything except what I could bring with me in the car [the ongoing, never-ending, giant knitted blanket] and thirteen of these little lily-pad hexagons [most excellent free pattern here.]100_0346a

Oh my goodness, these are so cute!  I keep underestimating how long a crochet project will take—I see this and think, I have an extremely busy weekend coming up.  I think I’ll just throw this together today and it’ll be done in time.  And then I’m wrong, but it doesn’t matter because these are really fun.

100_0355a  

I finally finished the lining this morning—here, look at the lining:

100_0360a

This bag is small, a little sweet something to tuck over your arm when you’re going out.  When you’re not bringing your appointment book and your knitting [wait, what?] and your e-reader and a sandwich for later.  Just room enough for the essentials [hang on, knitting is essential…]

100_0348b

I think I could fit a small project in there. 

100_0359b

I have an Important Event coming up in a few weeks, and I have a brown and white polka-dot dress to wear, and now I have this bag to go with it.  You can find the lovely tutorial here.  Fingers crossed for the bees.

34 comments:

  1. Nossa, que luxo.
    Muito, muito linda.
    Que capricho.
    Parabéns.
    Beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! I thought it was a Japanese pattern and I love Japanese crochet very much. How nice to realise it's a pattern that I will be able to follow easily! A nice new blog to read too. I love your colour changes; it makes me think of delicate Japanese blossom. I might have to make one of these. The lining is perfect for it.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous and is going to look great with the polka dot dress!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely soft colors you picked for this Kristen. So cute and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love this bag! So pretty! I'm going to have to give it a try. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! another thing going on my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its really feminine. I love brown and pale pink together. It'll look lovely with the dress. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh kristen. i am in love. it's the prettiest purse i've ever seen. i can't make it though! i'm not a crochet master like you. oh dear, i love it so, i guess i'll have to be content looking at it's photo.
    and that lining. oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty bag such gorgeous colours.
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet, and the lining is perfect! You are so prolific :) At the moment I'm puttering around with nothing more ambitious than dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous work I live your fabric in the backgtound mush be fun at your house

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen; love, love, love your bag; the colours are beautifully delicate and feminine and the lining matches perfectly. I'm afraid the bag does work up a bit small... I'd never get one of my projects in it!!
    best wishes
    Karen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen--I saw yours, and I was a goner. :) Thank you for sharing your pattern.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous!! I am a bit of a handbag addict and yours is putting a huge smile on my face. I can't believe the speed that you can create such gorgeousness hon. Are you bionic?

    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So puffy and cute!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, it is gorgeous. I have seen a few around blog land and just can't believe how wonderful the bags turn out. It will look great with your outfit.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, and you have chosen the perfect fabric for the lining too.

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh.. this is very nice. I love the colors you pick. Great for this time of the year. Beautiful work! Have a great day, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and chic handbag! Lovely! J.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable -- well done!
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pink flowers...bestill my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful!!!
    I hope we will see a picture of you with polca dot dress and this incredibly lovely handbag (with knitting peeking out of it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, so pretty! How long did it end up taking?

    xxMaDonna
    MeMaDonna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took three days, I think, but I worked on other things, too. :)

      Delete
  23. Oh wow, I love this! Those colours are so pretty!!!! And the sweet lining is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful. Love the colours, love the design, love the handles, love the lining... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gasp! This is sooo pretty! Soft and feminine and will look lovely with your dress. The lining is perfect. Don't you just love it! Of course you do.
    I was just getting over the amazing coat in your previous post, and now this bag! Slow down, I can't take it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The purse is lovely! I think I have to try to make one. The lining part looks a little intimidating though. The projects you show on your blog are inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my, Kristen, this is just too gorgeous.
    I love love love it.
    Thank you do much for sharing it! It is crazily inspiring, I really can't wait to try this!! (If only I will find this in German...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot:
      Do you understand Portuguese?
      I'm asking, because you seem to get a lot comments in Portuguese... I could help you, if you'd want me to!
      :)

      Delete
    2. I don't speak Portuguese, nope--thank goodness for Google translator! :)

      Delete