Friday, April 13, 2012

Carnaby Coat

carnaby coat 028

You might remember the Elton Coat, which I made last fall, and which, while turning out amazing and fabulous, is a tad too small for me.  Oh, I wear the Elton Coat, you’d better believe it, because a coat made from shiny gold upholstery fabric screams that I have got style.  The only thing is, when I wear it, all I can do is sort of lean against the wall with my arms straight down, concentrating on trying to get blood to circulate to my fingers…I exaggerate, it’s not that bad.  But, I do want a coat that fits me, and I already have the pattern.

carnaby coat 018

I decided it was time to try again.  I had a few yards of upholstery canvas in a print reminiscent of the vinyl glider cushions in my grandma’s breezeway, so of course I thought it would make an awesome coat.  Right?  You don’t do that, too?  Hmm.

carnaby coat 029

My machine, Miss Kastner, and I are still getting to know one another, and it’s mostly been two straws in the milkshake.  We had our first argument today, though, over the buttonholer attachment, and except for the fact that we couldn’t agree on a thread tension, we talked it out and got those babies buttonholed.  I had to dig deep in the Youtube archives to find anybody who wanted to talk about the Singer Professional Buttonholer for Slant Needle Machines, whew.  I am super intimidated by buttonholes anyway, and this attachment comes with four hundred individual pieces and its own instruction manual, and is the size of a handheld mixer.  Not surprisingly, it took me six full hours to figure out how to attach and use it.  But Miss K and I persevered together. 

carnaby coat 004

The buttons are self-covered, in the lining fabric.  I knew that if I had a prayer of keeping this coat from looking like the bathroom wallpaper, I was going to have to get it right with the buttons.  I think the gingham adds just enough cheek to the whole thing, don’t you?

carnaby coat 010

I’m in love with the fashions of 1960’s Carnaby Street.  I want a striped suit.  I want a white ruffled blouse with deep lace cuffs.   I want a tunic-length scrappy granny square vest and white go-go boots.  Yeah, baby!  

carnaby coat 022

The pattern is McCalls 5525, minus all the tabs and flaps and gadgets.  I think I’ll wear this with skinny dark wash jeans and knee boots, and a big helping of irony.

carnaby coat 027

28 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I could sew! Such gorgeous fabric too. That is one beautiful coat!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you are just the most talented person. I can't sew, only Halloween costumes for my kids when they were little. I was heart broken when they told me they wanted costumes like everyone else with the plastic mask. That ended my sewing career. The coat is gorgeous and I think you are going to look amazing, skinny jeans, boots and lots of attitude!
    Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's gorgeous fabric! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coat! And I'm impressed you are already getting familiar with the buttonholer. I have one, too (also for slant machines), but I really need to practice with it some more. Before this, I only did the four-step kind of buttonhole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristen, love your coat and your rings and your heartwarmer ...all brilliant .
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, indeed!!! My compliments!!
    xx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I really love your blog and all that you do, so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Beeeehaaaaave! I am in raptures over this!! This is really stunning - you are so skilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Well done, Kristen.
    Shiny black boots, low heel?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crochet with RaymondApril 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM

    your coat is amazingness.
    I've never before been tempted to learn how to sew... but this coat may have changed me!
    Love it, wear it with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it's stunning! One day I will make clothing too, I just love this.
    kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to come and have a look at your coat when I saw it in Bunny Mummy's sidebar, and it does not disappoint.
    I love the fabric and it looks so professionally made; it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic coat! You're so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed - I cannot imagine being able to make a coat. It'll look great over skinny jeans. To be real carnaby you'll need a floppy wide brimmed hat. I can picture it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It's beautiful! I know you will wear it well. Happy weekend wishes to you. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristen, you have to be the most audacious babe I've yet to meet in blogland but I'm soooooo happy that there are crazy ladies out there like me!!!! This coat rocks! lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, this is the coolest comment I've ever gotten! Audacious babe! I love this SO much! Thank you, my dear. :)

      Delete
  17. I too am impressed - by your wonderful sewing ability and your vision for how grand fabric can look when given a new twist. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous kristen, and well done on showing miss kastner whos boss! hee hee. i am struggling with my buttonholer on my new machine too. thank you for the youtube idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thousands of copper rivets and bronze screws held them together. Interestingly enough, now that they are no longer used by the Navy, these boats - now classed as vintage - are now being used as a luxury motor yacht.boats

      Delete
  19. Just found your blog and I want that coat, it's beautiful! Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't type the actual words that just came out of my mouth when I saw your coat so instead I will have to write a polite version!!! It's absolutley amazing, stunning, gorgeous and truly fabulous honey. You are a sewing wonder (along with all the other crafts you are totally brilliant at!). The fabric is amazing, and the buttons are perfect. I WANT ONE!!!!!!! If only I could sew more than straight lines....

    Have a fab week hon. Make sure to get a pic of you in the coat won't you!!

    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kristen, your coat is GREAT! Wow, really good work! J.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love LOVE this coat, it looks so luxurious!

    ReplyDelete