Monday, May 28, 2012

Inspired by Gee’s Bend

DSCF0245a

After I finished my last quilt, which was instantly claimed by the cat, I decided not to make any more bed-sized quilts.  The beds are already covered with quilts (I have dreamed of owning a huge country house with ten bedrooms, just for the purpose of having more beds to dress, but that’s neither here nor there) and nobody around here is particularly interested in more quilts.  Well, nobody except me.

DSCF0247a

Apparently, I am endlessly interested in them, and in the making of more of them. 

I recently found a gorgeous book about the quilts of Gee’s Bend—if you don’t know about Gee’s Bend, I really do encourage you to have a google on the subject.  The whole thing fascinates me on an almost academic level, and the quilts themselves are so inspiring; they’re masterpieces, each one.  

DSCF0255a

Anyway, so much for no more big quilts.  This one is so big I can’t even see it all yet. 

12 comments:

  1. Can you ever really have too many quilts? I think your latest is lovely. And congrats to your favorite Doctor.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...funny how that happens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how it only takes a few pictures of somebody's fabric stash and I go to my happy place. This is going to be great!!! Gee's bend quilts are a great inspiration. Thanks for the book tip, I'm going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did look up Gee's Bend. Very interesting. Amazing quilts. I know your recent make will be beautiful. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite tshirt is from the Gee's Bend exhibition that was at the de Young Museum a few years ago. And, BTW, I have a couple of beds that could use quilts, most especially my king size one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I checked the Gee's Bend quilt book out from the library several years ago and was amazed at the beauty of the quilts. What a great source of inspiration! Your quilt is sure to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOhh I can't wait to see how your quilt is coming out. I love to read and look at the quilts in the Gee's Bend book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for bringing the Gee's Bend quilts to my attention, Krisen. Amazing! I just want to make a simple patchwork quilt, but I so admire the artistry of others in designing quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I am looking forward to your new quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like your eclectic mix of fabrics and colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm feeling that about crocheted blankets at the mo and I cant tell you how much it's been troubling me. Strange thing to worry about perhaps but there we go.
    You can make me a gorgeous quilt anytime. Problem solved?!

    ReplyDelete