Thursday, May 24, 2012

Magical Garden Lights

DSCF0173

Now that my back yard is fully amazing, with a fresh and tidy patio, baby chickens, and circus tent seat covers on my French-looking white furniture, I want to sit out there at night, too, so I wanted to add some lights.  I saw this idea here, and it is so fantastically thrifty!  All you need is a string or two of mini lights and a few opaque glass domes, and I don’t know about you, but I see these domes in the thrift stores every time I go.  Yet another lesson to me in thinking outside the box. 

I accumulated six glass domes, and sent an explorer into the sweltering attic to find the Christmas tree lights. He found them (a miracle) and I tucked them up into the glass domes, ran a green outdoor extension cord invisibly among the violets, and hooked them up to a timer so they magically begin glowing at dusk, and then click off again after I’ve gone to bed.  In the daytime, they look like ordinary garden sculptures:

DSCF0166

But at night, they look like something out of a Midsummer Night’s Dream, full of fairies and magic. 

DSCF0176

I have always felt that a string of fairy lights can make all the difference.  They can turn a dark tunnel into a wonderland.

15 comments:

  1. Fairy lights are magic. There is something about them that makes everything good again. But I had never thought to use them outside (other than the set that's strung up in my pergola) and will have to give your idea a try. You're right about seeing the glass domes in op shops all of the time - we have a few lying around the house that I will have to put to use again!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent idea.I agree with Emma, fairy lights make everything good. I am after a solar powered set so that I can put them right up the top of my garden. To take electricity up there would be a major tasks and not worth it because of us moving soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a clever and magical idea!! lovely!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so simple and clever! I think finding the lights (in my house) would be harder than finding the globes at a thrift store. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea! I am afraid to do it in my backyard because there are too many feet that would find a way to accidentally step on them, but we are trying to figure out a way to string lights overhead on my patio. Here in Texas, after dark will be about the only time it will be cool enough to go sit on the patio this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of those domes, and I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Kristen....great idea I'm trying to think what those luminous domes remind me of ..... Gaudi' house thats it ... they had these type of domes lit up too scattered around in the patio garden in Barcelona. It looked great!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, he did??? Me and Gaudi, we have the same yard decor! I love that. Must Google him now, and see. :) :)

      Delete
  8. very cool idea and it looks so ethereal..jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the most fantastic idea! Now all I need is summer so I can sit out in the evening. Only about 8 months to wait!!!! Ha ha. Still, you can't beat a nice fire burning in the corner of the living room (she says, trying to convince herself).

    Have a fab weekend hon.
    Leah
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic idea, I think I am going to give it a try. Happy Weekend,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love using baskets to tote my yarny projects in. But they do snag on them. This is a great way to prevent that.
    Congrats to your hubby. Dr. of???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genius! I also love how you can use them for winter and for bird feeders! What a great way to recycle/up-cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, you are right! They look really magical! If I was a child I'd think that pixies might actually live there and I would put my little doll furniture around it and wait for them. Honestly, though, gardens are meant to look magical, especially at night and this gives that perfect feel. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete