Sunday, May 27, 2012

Project Basket Liner

DSCF0199a

I have a lot of projects going at any one time.  Too many, probably.  I don’t know, I just can’t work on only one thing, and I’ve decided not to worry about that.  I like to segregate each project into its own basket or bag, along with the pattern, scissors, sewing-up needle, and whatever else goes with it, so that if I want to take it with me, I just grab and go, and if I think there’s even the remotest possibility I’ll be sitting around somewhere with nothing to do, I bring a basket of knitting along.  I’ve spent a couple miserable highway traffic jams without a little yarn to ameliorate my impatience, and I am very monkey-minded, so I like to be prepared.  This basket is really lovely, but the inside is rough, and it finally snagged my project-in-progress for the last time.  So I made a liner.

DSCF0127

This is the most haphazard method in the world, but to get the approximate shape of the basket, I just rolled it over a big piece of paper and traced where it went.  Very estimate-y.  I left little cutouts where the handle goes, and added a couple ribbons to tie it there.  I traced the bottom of the basket the same way, and added 1/2” for seam allowances, and a few inches for it to hang over the lip at the top of the basket.  I cut two of each, sewed them together with wrong sides facing, and then turned it right side out to press.  It’s kind of a lined liner, if you know what I mean.  It sort of fits, mostly. 

DSCF0193a

The yarn just looks so snuggly in there, all safe.  No more snags.  Knitting and crochet continues, but I took a wee break—we had a Big Day this weekend:

DeanandDrBorkholder

This is my new favorite Doctor.  I love that medieval academic regalia so much.  You should have seen them all swooping around like magnificent giant bats, velvet sleeves heroically burgeoning.  He looks like he works at Oxford.  Or Hogwarts.  Congratulations, honey. 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely basket idea. Also congrats to Dr!

    How are the chicks? I bet they are getting big!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting big--it happens so fast! One day they're teeny and fluffy and they fit in your hand, and the next thing you know, they're all hen-like and eyeing you with suspicion. They aren't too sure about me yet. :)

      Delete
  2. Whohoo congrats! What is your doctor a doctor in? (Mine is in geohydrology).
    Like the basket liner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stel! He is a Doctor of Microsystems Engineering. :)

      Delete
  3. I loooove the idea of having separate baskets for each project. I put them in small project bags that I make out of fabric, but some of them are too big for the bags. Much like you I also always have many, many projects going. It's fun to be able to change once in a while...
    Congratulations... hope you don't need a dr. soon, but it is sure nice to have one close, ah??? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your husband! The basket lining is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm likewise very afraid of being trapped somewhere with nothing to do. I usually have everything stuffed down in tote bags, but I do have some baskets that need lining. Congratulations to your husband -- that IS a big day for your whole family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your husband. The regalia definitely suits him. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an accomplishment! So many hours of dedication and commitment. Congrats to the new Doctor...Wow. Love your basket liner. I have a basket that needs to be lined...might just have to give 'er a whirl! I have all my projects segregated too...but they're in the plastic bags that come from the yarn store...nothing glamorous...but they are plentiful around here! It's a good thing I have a patient hubby. If he left his fishing gear around like I leave my yarn gear, I'd come unglued!!! Such a double standard! LOL Hugs, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your basket hon! Brilliant idea. Also loving the new doctor's regalia - very flash!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for your husband and your whole family...microsystems engineering doctorate!Brilliant! And Kristen, your yarn basket liner is both lovely and practical. Thanks for sharing your how to(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work on the liner - many happy yarny days ahead I foresee. And a HUGE congratulations to your new favourite Dr!!! What massive amounts of commitment must have gone in to achieve those results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Mr Dr!!! I'd have to go for the Hogwarts option myself!!! Congrats too on the basket liner - it makes such a difference! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the Dr.! Finishing a PhD is no small feat! and the robes...well..fabulous!

    Love the basket liner. I tend to use project bags for my many project and sometimes just the chair next to the couch. You inspire me to organize!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. basket liner : thumbs up!!!
    congrats to the Dr!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to make a liner for my bike basket, so I may follow your lead on your pattern process. The blue gingham is too cute!
    Great picture of Dr. Hubby. It takes a lot of work to earn those robes.... Well done to him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just realized that I've been lurking ::gasp:: on your blog for weeks without a single comment. I knew it was out of hand when I was in New York last week and wondered if I shouldn't be inviting you to lunch on our trip. But when I began referring to your blanket habit -- and multiple baskets of work in progress -- as if it justified my own, it was time to out myself.

    I've been happily knotting yarn around here for over 3 decades but only made the 2 disastrous attempts at quilting along those years. But... I'm starting to obsess a little about attempting one after reading your blog for a bit.

    Please pass my congrats to The Doctor! It feels as if I've been in grad school almost as long as I've been crocheting and so delight in seeing someone achieve that goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gina! This is so lovely to hear. I'm also happy to hear the blanket madness is spreading! I think you'd enjoy making a quilt, too. Thanks for saying hey!

      :)

      Delete