Saturday, May 19, 2012

Summer on the Patio

DSCF0161a

We’re having the most spectacular May weather ever in my memory, and in a stroke of some beautiful luck, it is also festival weekend here in my little town, which means parades, fireworks, corndogs, glow necklaces, fire trucks, mounted police, antique tractors, convertibles and the County Dairy Princess, and I am wearing sandals and sunglasses for the first time in years.  (Sometimes, it sleets on our festival, which takes some of the fun out of things.  I have huddled through many a parade in my winter coat.) How blissful of the sky to be such an endless blue, just when I want to stroll amidst the mood ring craft booths and Bloomin’ Onion wagons.  How lucky I feel!  I can’t even tell you how much I love it.  Summer is here. 

In anticipation of this moment, I have spent the last three weekends toiling over this stone patio. 

DSCF0086a

This patio has plagued me ever since we moved here—twenty years ago—as a weedy, creepy, dark corner of our yard.  No matter what cute furniture I put there; no matter how many pots of cheerful geraniums, it was dank and spooky and full of broken glass.  It was the ghetto of my yard.  Nobody ever sat there, and the weeds grew and grew and grew.  Finally, I decided to take charge, so I put on some gloves and, by myself, prised up each one of those huge heavy rocks—and some of them are two feet long and as thick as tombstones—removed the weed-filled layer of rocky dirt underneath, put down a weed barrier, and put all the rocks back.  Dean helped me fill in between them with gravel, and then I sagged into a hot bath and could barely move my arms for a week. 

The men knocked down a crumbling old homemade barbecue grill, and once those rocks were hauled away, this happened:

DSCF0088a

Light!  It poured over this formerly woeful corner, and suddenly everything was in color. 

DSCF0162a 

I thrifted this wrought metal garden furniture, and this morning, I added new cushion covers, which I made by cutting off one of the old ones and using it as a pattern.  A yucky process—that old foam under there just seems like a filthy sponge—but worth it.

And, on top of all this, I solved my camera problem.  Saturation!  Yes, it’s been a great day.  I’ll be on the patio. 

25 comments:

  1. Que lugar mais lindo.
    Lindo o colorido das almofadas.
    Beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristen,
    I'm a newish follower to your blog and have enjoyed reading several of your posts and admiring your makes such as that glorious tea cosy which would be the centre piece of any tea party.
    I very much like the bright splash of colours you have used for the make over on your garden chair covers. I think that says to me its about time I tried something similar on the tired old sun bleached ones I have.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Amanda! Thanks very much. The new cushion covers made a huge difference, I can tell you. :)

      Delete
  3. Your a talented writer I love everything you say or how you say it. Its like reading a good book I am drawn in.. Patio looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neicee! This is so lovely to hear. :)

      Delete
  4. You have created such a beautiful space, it looks like a lovely place to have a cup of tea and a bit of knitting. Great job.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can sit down and sip a lemonade or ginger beer after your hard work. Well done for tackling those stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JEALOUS!!!! That's the only word for it hon. I'm sitting here with the fire on and my merino jersey keeping me cosy. It's so lovely to see your sunny photos - those cushion covers are just amazing! Totally my kind of colours. That's a very impressive effort lugging all those giant stones. It looks fantastic.

    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen - the patio looks fab! Love your thrifted furniture ... I'm looking for similar for my patio! Gorgeous fabric on your cushions too. Have a great weekend. lol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kristen , you did a great job ! Have a wonderful sunny weekend....still raining here .
    Love your patio furniture and your patchwork cushion is beautiful.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really have been busy!! Good on you for tackling such a heavy job. The furniture looks fabulous with your handmade cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Kristen! I see, you are really busy! :-) But the relax place looks nice :-)

    Hm, at our is sunday morning, so... have a nice and sunny day! :-)

    Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kristen - I love your new little corner. I am doing similar at the top of the garden. Weed control fabric is brilliant stuff. You are so lucky to have sun - in the UK we are on a wet wet roll. Although it is desperately needed, it would be nice to see the sun for a bit. Enjoy your lovely weather and the festival. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your patio looks lovely, very welcoming indeed! In England we are having the worst May weather ever, absolutely awful. Mind you it hasn't rained for a few days. (I'm whispering that in case the Queen In Charge Of Rain hears me say it.)
    Make the most of your pretty corner.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. magical!

    What a tranqill space to chill in!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You patio looks like such a lovely spot to sit & enjoy the fine weather! Your cushion covers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks soooooooooo pretty, colourful....sunny... a place to spend hours and hours and hours....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa! Good for you pulling up all that rock! It's amazing what a woman can accomplish with a little determination and some pretty cushion fabric. Enjoy your patio, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have the perfect spot now to enjoy the sunshine and you deserve to relax after all that hard work. Maybe a nice cool drink with ice! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pour me a glass of lemonade and I'll come and sit with you! :) It look lovely. You have done a great job on both the patio and the cushion covers! Put your feet up - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely place to sit and enjoy the outside air and relax! Well done for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just started following your blog a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE it. You have a wonderful style of writing and a tremendous talent. I already have many new knitting and crochet projects in mind (I am now knitting the kitchen towel you talked about). I am very envious of your sewing skills and hope to be able to sew half as well as you sometime in the future.

    Love the patio!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  21. How beautiful, your patio looks so pretty, I hope you enjoy many sunny mornings and warm evenings sat out there with your yarn!

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that looks gorgeous - such a beautiful place to sit and mull over stuff.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete