Friday, May 11, 2012

Yarn Everywhere

DSCF0078a

I must be crazy, but I’ve started another blanket.  This one is Ann and Kay’s Log Cabin, and I resisted it as long as I could, but I guess I just missed having a project involving endless miles of garter stitch, so here it is.  This is pretty easy knitting, so if you’re not a knitter (yet) and are inclined to try it, this pattern would be a good place to start.  You can keep going as long as your yarn lasts, or make smaller blocks and sew them together—there are lots of possibilities.  The pattern can be found here.

I can’t even make noises about using up my scraps, because I recently realized that I’m not accumulating scraps anymore; I’m accumulating scrappy yarns.  On purpose.  For things like blankets.  Look:

DSCF0068a

Those aren’t leftovers, those are what happens when I find a 40% off sale at my local yarn shop.  I go along the Wall of Every Color (oh, so tempting!) and pick out individual balls of whatever grabs me.  Just to add to my palette, you know.  Do you all do that too?  Looking at that photo, I can sure see what my palette is.  (Lime green with a hint of olive and mustard, anyone?) All this yarn doesn’t fit in the yarn cupboard, so there’s nothing left to be done except make blankets.  What can I do?  I gotta be me. 

DSCF0060a

I’m still fighting with the settings of the amazing new camera.  Stuff is blurry.  Nothing is the right color.  Change is hard. 

18 comments:

  1. I love it..I have been actually tempted a few times to try this one. Its going to be gorgeous Im sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knitted log cabin blanket looks so nice, wish I could make something like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great project. Love the colours in you wool stash!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hie hee...Kristen, you have a problem!
    (I started two stash-busting blankets this week, to use up the stash...but found myself buying one or two extra balls (6!!!) - "just to get colour balance...")

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a granny square log cabin blanket last year in Autumn colors and it's one of my faves, so far



    do you ever pick up colors that you "love" then when you go to put them with anything else you already own, they go with nothing else you have?


    you make me want to try knitting again!


    have fun with your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pattern looks like a fun one. I bet you have enough yarn to make several of those blankets!
    I love it when people share pictures of their yarn stash. But it's dangerous! You know when you see someone yawn, and it makes you yawn too? Yeah, it's like that. I think I need to go to ye old yarn shoppe....

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely! A perfect excuse for another blanket make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors so far! I'd love to try knitting a log cabin, I want to have at least one knitted blanket, maybe I can try log cabin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yarn galore!!! I feel at home when I look at those pics!!!
    Have a lovely weekend; xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do that. I keep saying I am only going to knit from my stash but somehow a random colour here and there will pull me in. I also have too many blankets with no signs of letting up. By the way, I love your blog. Somehow it just feels like home to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yarn everywhere and am resisting the urge to go find more. I need to make with what I've got. The color from your camera may not be right but sure looks good from where I'm sitting. have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it.... it's coming along very nicely!
    I can not knit at all...I have tried several times but just haven't master it yet.. but I can crochet!! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I love just going by colour. I do get a little distracted and doubtful as to whether I should be using different brand, blends etc. But since I have been reading your blog, I realise that there are no rules for blankets. And boy, yarny blankets scream coziness that quilted ones can't quite claim. Well, I think that anyway. Your palette is gorgeous and your last pic looks great to me but admittedly its the content that is just sooo appealing, I can't even tell if it is 'photographed' correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new quilt looks nice, and I see again lovely colors!! J.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do - got to use up that yarn!
    Loving all those turquoise/blues/greens together - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. tienes unas manos maravillosas me gustan mucho tus colchas de crochet ,yo hago tambien muchas labores de crochet...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your stash! The colours look so dreamy and calming. The blanket is looking beautiful already :)

    ReplyDelete