Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Clothespin Bag and a Moment of Terror

 

DSCF0386a

I really love my back yard.  This is my clothesline and, behind it, my antique roses.  Look:

DSCF0388a

I know everybody’s seen roses, but I am wildly in love with these, even though the thorns are completely vicious.  A few weeks ago, one of them stabbed me as I was weeding, and it made my knuckle swell up like a golf ball, but that misery did not diminish my admiration for this rose or any of its sisters:

DSCF0389a

That one is called “Fantin Letour” and it smells so delectable—I had a quick impulse to take a bite out of it.  The buds are striped.  I know, right? 

Anyway, between fresh strawberries and the single annual blooming of these roses, June is really the most delicious month of the year.  So I spend a lot of time in the yard if I can, and I hang my laundry out whenever possible, and the clothespin bag situation (storing them in a pile in the grass at the base of the clothesline?) finally got too ridiculous, so I spent fifteen minutes making a bag for them.

DSCF0415a

Yes, the utility crafts continue.   This is made from a scrap of outdoor fabric leftover from my chair cushions, and the design idea came from here, where she used a placemat (brilliant!)  I would totally have used a placemat if I’d had one, but I had this fabric, so I used it.  I folded four layers of it together for sturdiness, and it worked great. 

DSCF0385a

I love things that make my life easier and more lovely.  In fact, I think that’s why I do everything I do.

Relevant to neither the laundry nor the roses, but to the backyard in general, last night as we all four sat convivially around the patio table in the glow of the fairy lights, having a happy debriefing about our various days and watching the fireflies and I was enjoying a glass of Cab Sauv, suddenly there was a HUGE rustling in the bushes, and snapping of sticks and we all just froze for a terrified minute.  I said, “It’s probably the cat,” and the boy said, “No, he’s in the house.”  Then the rustling was closer, and the branches were cracking and snapping, and Dean suddenly jumped up, and that’s when I lost it and yelled, “CHUPACABRA!” and all four of us ran screaming for the house.  When we reached the safety of the kitchen, we looked at each other and fell apart laughing.  These people are the best. 

20 comments:

  1. Your roses are gorgeous! And I didn't know the chupacabra had made it so far north ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I can just picture you guys running for the back door! Glad you got your pins out of the grass.
    Good idea using the leftover chair fabric for your cute bag. I'm jealous of your blue clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the clothespin bag (all those stripes...yummy)!
    ....and the chupacapra...eh!eh!eh!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristen..I am not sure where you live.. but I live in Louisiana and I wasn't sure what a "chupacabra" was so I looked it up... and girl!!! No wonder why you all went running in the house. I have never in my life seen anything that ugly and creepy. Oh love'n the bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there. I have enjoyed reading your blog and seeing all of your yummy crochet things lately. I got here from a link to you on Casey Plus3's blog. I love your header picture! So fresh looking. Come visit me if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi kristen
    what a wonderful post.love your clotheline and your roses.lovely blog.
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!!! Love the bag. I love hanging out my laundry, and need to make a new bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked up chupacabra too - very scary!! Your roses are beautiful. Its sad that there are so many roses these days that have no fragrance at all. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen, I'm new to your lovely blog. I was really attracted to the name as I love anything cozy! Loving your peg bag! Looking forward to your future posts. Please pop by my blog if you get a minute :) Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at that gorgeous peg bag, all stripey and fabulous!!

    I have spent the morning preparing a sewing project (I know - what has happened to me?), it's all cut out, the iron is on, a large cup of tea is by my side and wouldn't you know it, my sewing machine has decided to die. I could have cried. The tension is all over the place and it seems to want to self-gather which is not ideal!!! Maybe I should just stick to crochet....

    Have a fab week hon,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  11. “CHUPACABRA!” That's the greatest line ever! LOL. Your roses are so pretty I wish I could smell them through the computer screen and your clothespin bag is full of happy colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmm roses can smell and look so lovely....our Joseph's Coat bushes just have buds.
    Your pin bag is clever and cheery,
    and I do think you were wise to run for the house...just in case :)
    Joy to you and yours,
    Gracie <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well ... I don't know what I like more, story or bag. Bag I would like to make (great idea! great fabric!), story should be wrote in some book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the pics, I could look at roses all day, they don't look the same to me! They're each individually marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny! I had to look up this word and creature, u-uh!, but it can't be as "dangerous" as your posts - I am knitting dishcloths right now and want to handsew skirts or a dress like you have shown...
    xo xo xo
    Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love your backyard too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good! I like it! If you need more information at http://www.sobeautifulbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kristen.. Shari again.. If you have a moment today...stop by my blog... I left a little something for you!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha Ha Ha!!! Chupacabra indeed! what was it though in the end?

    Lovely Lovely photos of your roses...the Queen of flowers.
    Wish I had a back yard with or without Chupacabra!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it was--we didn't stick around to find out. Probably a fox or a coyote. Eeeeeek!

      Delete