Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Monogrammed Wedding Gift for Cool People

DSCF0478a

A couple of the cool people in my life recently got married to each other.  It made me sweetly teary to sit in their beautiful old church with the fans gently turning and the afternoon light pouring through the stained glass windows, with the warm summer all around us, and with friends dressed up to usher and other friends singing in the choir and at the piano.  My yoga teacher was the officiant.  It was so personal, and perfect.  The processional was a Ben Folds song.  I told you, these are cool people. 

DSCF0479a

I knew they already have a blender, and that they are just the sort of people who appreciate a handmade gift. I made these pillowcases from a gorgeously thick vintage cotton sheet, and then designed the monogram using a font scoured from the internet—I think it’s called “Ptarmigan,” which somehow seems wonderful.  I stitched it over the course of a few days, then pressed the living daylights out of the whole thing, until the pillowcases were as crisp and fancy as I could make them. 

DSCF0491a

I wrapped them in a piece of vintage voile printed with little violets, and tucked a silk flower into the knot.  I hope they love them.  They come with wishes for sweet dreams, and a happy life together.

22 comments:

  1. I love cozy weddings. And what a beautiful and original gift! Hurray for friends and handmade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. They will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift to get from a dear friend. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really gorgeous Kristen.......so much more...when its a handmade gift. Love the embroidery and the wrapping...thats.....very fine.
    Keep well
    Amanda :-)
    PS: I'm giving a giveaway and its open to everyone,
    pop in when you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo beautiful! You are so thoughtful!
    Shari ")

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i was your friend and that i was getting married..jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweat and elegant. Very beautiful gift... They are lucky friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weddings are so fun! What a great gift, I love how you wrapped it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely adorable and sweet gift. I'm sure they will be blown away. Loved the wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful present - handmade gifts are so special. I love personal weddings. These days so many weddings are very high cost but lose the character of the bride and groom. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just started following your blog. Love the pillowcases, a gift that will be treasured, x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would have opened these and felt happy!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a fabulous wedding gift! Hope you're having a lovely week.
    Leah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've JUST found your lovely blog and have been laughing, enjoying, and prepping for all of my MANY future projects! This has been like sitting down with an old, dear, friend. Amazing how people from such different areas, can be in sinc with their pursuits! If you're ever needing a sister in the Southeast, you've found her! Will be back often. Thanks for the delightful sharing. De-lish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, this is lovely to hear. And I'm always in need of a sister! (Can I borrow your black cashmere cardigan? I'll put it right back, I promise...) :)

      Delete
    2. of course you may borrow the black cashmere cardigan! I laid out the little silk bag I usually carry with it too. ;) Can you let Abbles and Aiden out to tinkle before you leave? Thanks a bunch. Hope it's a lovely week where you are. TN is overcast and rainy today- we're loving it.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing your lovely gift, which encourages me to want to follow your generous good example, Kristen =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet and wonderful gift. The wrapping is fantastic! Have a great day! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. really so lovely kristen, they will surely love them and keep them forever. ben folds was in our wedding music although i walked down the aisle to coldplay (green eyes) :)

    ReplyDelete