Sunday, July 8, 2012

Apple Honey Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Cloud Frosting

DSCF0466a

We had a birthday around here, and I made the most beautiful cake.  Look at that gorgeous cloud of frosting!  Eating this cake felt like having a party with fairies.  With our assortment of vegetarians, vegans and sugar-avoiders, we are a hard family to feed, but this cake satisfies everyone—the vegans eat it without the frosting--and just look at it.  So pretty.  If you’re like me and you don’t want a lot (well, any) refined sugar in your diet, you can have this cake, and I swear it will make you cry. 

This is an Apple Honey Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Cloud Frosting. Some of it I made up, and some of it is an adaptation of a recipe I found somewhere;  somebody sent me a link, and I don’t know where it went.  Anyway, here’s what  you do:

Apple Honey Cake

Mix 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 tsp baking soda together.  Add 1/4 cup well-steeped tea, 1 cup honey, 1 Tbsp vinegar, 5 Tbsp oil, 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice, and 1 tsp vanilla.  Mix it all together until it’s very smooth, and pour into a greased 9” cake pan.  Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.  [This cake has a very strong honey flavor, so if you’re a fan of honey, you’ll love it.  I’ve wondered how it would work using maple syrup—If you try that, let me know how it goes.]  After removing from oven, cool five minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

Vanilla Cream Cheese Cloud Frosting

Whip 1 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form.  Blend in 1 Tbsp agave nectar.  In a separate bowl, beat one 8 oz package of room temperature cream cheese until smooth.  Add 1 Tbsp honey and beat.  Fold in the whipped cream, and then fold in 1 tsp vanilla. 

Scoop giant dollops of this frosting onto the cooled honey cake and decorate with whole strawberries.  Eat as much as you can right away, because it’s best the first day.  Refrigerate whatever’s left.  [After refrigerating, the character of the frosting changes, becoming very thick and vanilla fudge-ish, which is also quite wonderful.  Just so you know.]

Do you know of any other good no-sugar baked goodies recipes?  I’m always on the lookout. 

DSCF0468a

15 comments:

  1. this looks divine! I am anxious to try this! Thank you for sharing!
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, very summery, and the frosting sounds delicious. Just say heavy cream and I'm there. I like using honey and agave instead of sugar too. Lately I've been trying almond or coconut flour instead of regular flour. It takes some getting used to. Try Elana's Pantry, she has some great recipes(you can use regular flour if you want, but she is mostly gluten free)she bakes with agave and maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy. I am always after healthier versions of treats. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I am catching up on blogs and just about jumped out of my skin when I saw this recipe had no sugar. My oldest and I are sever hypoglycemic's and we can not have sugar or honey or molasses. But we can have agave and this recipe looks like agave can be added instead of honey. I am willing to give it a try. And your shawl is gorgeous, and you are absolutely lovely in every way, shape and form. I am tall and willowy and I look ridiculous in many, many things that shorter, shapelier people look great in. Thanks for the great ideas,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mere, thank you so much. You always say such nice things. I am anxious to hear how your agave version works out--honey is lovely, but it tastes so much like itself, you know? :)

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering how it would be with orange blossom honey and fresh-squeezed oj instead of the apple juice?


    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuuummm! Please try it and tell me how it works? :)

      Delete
  7. what a gorgeous cake! i will definitely try this recipe on my vegetarian/vegan family :)
    thank you so much for sharing it xx

    i really like your sweet little figurine too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! I'd like to try it.
    Is that 1/4 cup of the tea?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely on my list of recipes to try very, very soon. Looks and sounds yummy! And the shawl in your previous post is gorgeous. I think you could wear just about anything. :) Best wishes for a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! It looks soooo sweet!!! :-) I like cakes like this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has become one of my go-to recipes. Cupcakes in the oven now--we'll see how it goes this way.

    ReplyDelete