Monday, July 23, 2012

Bobble-fringe pillow and the weekend

DSCF0730a

It was one of those weekends I need a vacation from.  You know what I mean?  So full of (wonderful, fun) things, but we got hardly any sleep and the house is completely trashed.  When a basket full of unfolded laundry starts to feel like part of the decor, it might be time to take a minute.  There was little, if any, sitting on the couch, but in anticipation of the possibility, I did find time to make this swirly, ball-fringed pillow cover.  It seems like we have enough pillows already, but every time I see one of those gorgeous magazine photos of a white couch covered in pillows, I just have to start sewing. 

DSCF0724a

Materials are:  one piece of lime-green-with-a-hint-of-mustard upholstery fabric from the remnant bin, one feather pillow insert from the thrift store (obsessively washed and dried on hot a few times) and a length of bobble-fringe from the crafty thrift store. 

DSCF0726a

It’s a thrift store with nothing for sale except crafts supplies!  I know!!!  I find it hard not to go totally overboard in there, what with the oilcloth and the vintage fabrics and buttons, and this whole thingy of bobble-fringe, practically for free.  Thank you, crafty thrift store, I love you. 

There was a 5K (not for me, are you crazy?) but for the doctor…

DSCF0747a

…who couldn’t leave the house until he found his lucky shorts, and then we picked blueberries and then there was a ceremonial sing-along about the war of 1812 (what? I know) and then we were in a parade (fairy tale costumes, 90 degree heat, and the parade we were in was already going past us while we were still stapling fake flowers to the float—“there’s still time, let’s go!”—being towed the wrong way down the road by a tractor, to the bemused stares of the confused onlookers as my teenage and adult children, dressed as pirates, engaged in sword battles with rubber cutlasses, taking it in turns to theatrically die) and then three performances of an operetta (cookies for dinner) and late to bed every single night. 

DSCF0736a

I have an appointment with my new pillow, I think.  Zzzzzz. 

18 comments:

  1. A craft thrift store? How awesome is that??? Wish we had one here! :)

    Love your pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew...exhausting! Love the pillow. Love me some ball fringe! And oh my, I wish I had a thrift store for crafty things!!!!
    I always head for the remnant bin of upholstery fabric first! I have made many of my pillows using that. It is perfect!!
    Hot and muggy here today. Ugh!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a most eventful weekend! Crafty Thrift Store!!!!! I want one!! LOL...I love the pillow! I have to say I had a good laugh reading about the events of the parade!! Excellent!! BTW I recently nominated you for a One Lovely Blog award because I always enjoy your blog! Stop by when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thrift store full of craft supplies?! It sounds like heaven! That pillow is sp adorable and pompoms are probably the cutest things invented. I am glad to hear you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shop sounds amazing and i love your new cushion xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a second I couldn't understand what you meant when you said craft thrift store, I think I didn't really want to because it would make me pout and shout out 'It's not fair.' Why don't I have one near me? It's not fair.
    I love your pom pommy pillow. it looks great next to the patchy one.
    I'm still feeling the it's not fair thing about the crafty thrift store.
    Your weekend sounds mad by the way, mad but fun.
    Happy Monday!
    (It's still not fair.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pillow. I am so rubbish at sewing. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly deserve some down time after such a whirlwind of a weekend! Love the fringed pillow. So cute! I can never have enough pillows myself - to the chagrin of my hubby.

    Wanted to let you know that I have a little award for you on my blog - the One Lovely blog award. If you don't do that sort of thing, I totally understand. Just know you were thought of ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pillow - and as soon as I'm done posting here I am going to google "crafty thrift store" to see if there is one near me (fingers crossed).
    Sounds like your whole family is pretty creative, and I would have paid money to see that parade scene : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. NICE! VERY NICE! I love pillows, something I never have time to make...must make time! Thanks for sharing and giving a great idea!
    x0x0
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm never disappointed clicking into your space. Nice work on the bobble cushion! xx Fi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you did have a crazy busy weekend. Lovely pillow. I enjoy doing 5Ks ... walking, of course. Hope your week is a bit more restful. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. love especially that you made something so lovely with thrift shop finds. congrats to your husband, i sometimes miss competing, then again, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously think your pillow is superb. I didn't think I'd be into bobble thingies, but it just works so well. :) I am jelous of that thrift craft store!!! You could almost buy stuff and then re-sell it!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Go snooze on your pillow, and then take it easy for a day. Phew! (P.S. Did you get any photos of the float?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No photos--we were all in the parade and there wasn't anybody left to hold the camera! :D

      Delete
  15. Hi Kirsten, Love the cushion it's gorgeous. I am so jealous a crafty thift shore. I've been dreaming about that, ha ha. Have a lovely week. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A craft thrift store - you are lucky! I love your comments about the cleaning of the pillow insert; I can imagine you boiling it and then drying it on full heat for hours until its cooked!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha ha hilarious about the parade - love the cush, and it sounds like a lot of fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete