Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Diversionary tactics

DSCF0540a

The gray sweater is still in a state of limbo while I strain my brain trying to figure out what to do.  (I love all your ideas, and one of them will be the answer—or I’ll take my friend Leda’s advice and just unravel the whole thing and make something else.  Something will happen.)  Anyway, I’m on the third iteration of the same sleeve and am still not making a sweater I want, so it’s going on the back burner for awhile.  I have been distracted by a few other things.  That pearly gray piece of crochet is destined to be a sumptuous fringy shawl, inspired by this bit of gorgeousness [as a matter of fact, there was a lot to love in that post, including her entire wardrobe.  I suddenly hate all my clothes.]  The yarn I’m using is, well, to die for.  I will give all pattern details in the Big Reveal, which will not be long now, because this thing is already shaping up so pretty and soft, and I want to work on it every minute.

That is, unless this grabs my attention, which could happen any time now.

DSCF0523a

It’s a low-volume quilt.  All lights and neutrals and small prints with light backgrounds, which, it turns out, I had a ton of in my stash already.  This one is Lynne’s fault.  Go look at hers, I dare you, but only if you don’t have another thing planned for the next week.  Honestly, if I try to knit, I keep thinking of the fringy crochet shawl, and if I’m crocheting, I’m thinking of this quilt, and while I’m sewing, I’m puzzling about the sweater.  It looks like I need more yoga in my life.  Focus!  Anyhoo.

I also have to confess that I have now reached maximum yarn ownership, a condition known as SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy).  Yarn is stacked on every flat surface and piled in baskets under the work table.  Yarn is everywhere, but I have no remorse.  There was a 70% off sale.  You would have done the same.  I now probably have enough yarn to make that House Cozy my kids keep talking about.  But first, I’d better finish some things. 

22 comments:

  1. Hahaha LMAO. SABLE? House cozy?? Hilarious! I must have double SABLE (yarn and fabric). Isn't it amazing how we justify these purchases? I went into Jonann's for magnetic snaps today and came out with YARN on clearance. I swear it followed me right out the door. I almost forgot the snaps.
    I can't wait to see what pattern you are using for the AMAZING SHAWL. Yes I saw it too. My jaw hit the table when I found that post. I knew you would be on that like butter on toast, so I'm going to squirm until yours is finished. Love the yarn you picked.
    Have a fun 4th of July. I'm making Nutella cupcakes, then I will drink beer and be face down on a raft in the pool for the rest of the day.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo...show the stash?? pretty please!!

    I live vicariously through others with far more space than I have


    pretty shawlette =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful shawl and yes, that wardrobe is to die for. I know your low volume quilt will be a beauty too. It is always hard for me to choose neutrals for myself for some reason, but I love looking at other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I'm reading your post and thinking how does she know what's going on in my head! Honestly, this week I've been swayed by lovely bits of fabric and I'm crocheting a shawl (among other things). When I'm with one all I can do is think about the other. So should we go ahead and get started on that cozy?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... you think just like me...I am always thinking about what I can do while I am working on another project... sorry to hear about the sleeve... I do that all the time..I guess we just have to slow down a bit and focus on one thing and one thing only...haha, yeah right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope I'm not being presumptuous ...But I think I know the answer. I call it Knitting/ crochet ADD... I just cannot work in only one project and sometimes I have to make a list of priorities so I can finish some projects before I start another one... I actually ground myself to focus and finish some projects ( I do have fun while grounded though :)). As for the sweater I have done this a couple of times... One sweater I finished because I was fortunate to find the same yarn in a bit darker color and it worked. The other one, sorry to say is still sitting on my "to finish pile" haven't been able to find anything..your sweater, however, looks to great to be abandoned .... I'm sure you will find a solution! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me again... Just wanted to ask how did u get the pattern for the shawl... I love it also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm combining this pattern: http://craftown.com/crochet/pat51.htm with an improvised edging. :)

      Delete
  8. your shawl is looking so beautiful kristen, it looks like such a pretty pattern. the quilt is going to be lovely too,i'm always so amazed at all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Dory shawl is the shawl I am making at the moment with the bluey green fine merino yarn I bought... wish I had your fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you read the story about the house that got knitted?

    ReplyDelete
  11. SABLE! I love it! 70% off, it would be rude not to buy loads.
    Looking forward to seeing your quilt.
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad to hear other people have this problem. I just bought yarn to make a ripple blanket and Lordy I did not need it! Ulta Alpalca. On sale for 8.00 regularly 10.50. How could I resist? We have a new yarn store in town. (sigh)

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am guilty as charged of brain running ahead with knitting/quilting when crocheting and vice versa etc etc etc!!! I don't have the stash problem though, can only buy to use otherwise what if you then didn't have enough? Nightmare. F xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristen, you make me laugh. I love reading your blog. I wish I was at the SABLE stage, my yarn is fast running out. And the material is gorgeous. I like knitting and crochet but patchwork quilts will always be my true love. I'm currently collecting fabric with small print flowers to do an old fashioned quilt. Just squares sewn together and maybe tied or maybe quilted. I'm not sure yet but I can't wait! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the shawl project. The yarn looks so great! And the quilt is going to look great with all the light shades and colors in it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to see your version of The Shawl. First time I've ever been tempted to make AND wear one. Plus the colors of those Coco Rose granny circles are stunning. Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too struggley with focus!

    Still I think others call it drive!

    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am the same with books that are on sale - i just keep adding them to my stash. I have so many unread that I could do with a year's holiday with nothing to do other than eat and read and, of course, crochet or knit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kristen, last night after reading yr post I went to look for the shawl pattern. I just love it and I want to make one also :) I started one with a brown Malabrigo yarn I have in hopes I can get a bit more since I don't have enough yarn... But I just had to start...thanks for the inspiration,

    ReplyDelete