Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pup tent

DSCF0664a

Not that I’m complaining, but it’s really hot here.  It’s really, really summer-ish.  If you’re in the UK, I’m so sorry, and I wish I could share some of this heat with you.  I’d gladly trade it for a bit of rain, because the entire yard is brittle and dead, but I do love the heat. 

This tired old lady, however, does not. 

DSCF0662a

She looks pink because she’d just been shorn the day before and now she looks like a baby lamb.  A huge baby lamb.  But she finally stopped panting.  As she gets older, she begins to tell me, with a lot of desperate shedding and panting, that she wants less hair.  And also, a cave to crawl inside, to escape all the hubbub that happens in a houseful of people.  She tells me this by getting behind or underneath anything and everything, knocking over tables and lamps and rearranging the furniture with her bulk in the process.  Sweet thing, she’s too big.

So Dean and I built her this pup tent the other day, after I saw a picture of one like it in the July/August issue of Country Living (US edition).  Ours is about 54” high, and about 28” wide, which is the width of the broken clothes-drying rack I had stashed in the event of needing some dowels for a project. [The benefits of having a huge barn are many.] He built the simple frame with wood scraps, securing them with bolts and wing nuts, and then I sewed the canopy, using a thrifted vintage sheet and a few lengths of grosgrain ribbon to secure it to the frame at the sides.  Because the wood frame is bolted, the tent is removable for washing, and the whole thing can be collapsed flat and stored. 

DSCF0592

Of course, the dog spent the first few days eyeing it suspiciously, sniffing it tentatively, and then lying down, with a deep sigh and a clatter of elbows and collar tags hitting the wood floor, on the other side of the room.

Eventually, though, in the long warm light of afternoon, when I was thinking a nap would be nice, she was thinking the same thing, and so she crawled in there, circled a few times, and flopped down with a snort. 

DSCF0661a

Good dog.

33 comments:

  1. .....what a sweet old lady!!! You have a big heart!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable pup tent. You could put it up outside as well and then she would get some much needed shade while enjoying the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless her, she's lovely and what a good idea. I like to read of nice people doing kind things for their animals.

    You are right about the UK, it has been raining a lot. I don't mind too much though. I like moderate temperatures best, otherwise I wilt or freeze!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet idea for a grand old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww. what a wonderful story..Looks like she made herself right at home..You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutest little (well, big) thing ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, she looks very happy in there :) I'd give it a go for my dogs, but they both have zero spatial awareness so it would probably get flattened instantly :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this is the sweetest thing i've ever seen. you are not only fabulously talented and clever kristen, but have a heart of gold. xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh!!! She's so darn cute laying in her tent. She's surely loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks like she loves her new little den.

    Luv Jane XX

    PS Us Brits would not complain if you sent a little bit of the sun our way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a precious one she is. And what a great little doggy tent. Our temps were pretty darn close to 125 today though the Ministry would never admit to that because by law they would have to send everyone home from work. :/ Have a wonderful new week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Owwwww look at that beautiful last photo! Isn't she gorgeous. She must be the happiest dog in town with her lovely new tent. Clever mum and dad!!!
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute!!!! Great idea and what a stylish design. You could sell these I reckon

    ReplyDelete
  14. she's a lucky girl to be living with such wonderful people who care so much..

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I read the title I thought maybe camping in the back yard - not a tent for the pup! Sweet, kind and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh she is so sweet, bless her little heart. She looks very safe in her own tent.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is wonderful..and it's nice that you take such good care of the pup...bet she loves to get a good scratch now that she is clipped..

    I always remind people that heat waves are not good for animals..dogs and kitties temps start at 102...then add on heat and humidity...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been hotter than blue blazes here too!!! Your pupper is so cute! Love his tent.
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor baby, I bet she feels better now. What a great idea. There is never an end to all the clever uses for vintage sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot dogs, bless them. We had border collies in NZ and had to have them clipped every summer 'cause they got too hot. They did look silly, but were so much more comfortable.

    Here in the UK, not so much of a problem. We had a hose-pipe ban going into April, and it hasn't stopped raining since, now there's been flooding from North to South. I think it's officially the wettest and coldest summer since records began. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww! She's sweet. That's some clever creating. Hope you get some rain soon and a reprieve from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Luvly! The other nice thing about a tent (if the humidity is right) you can dampen the sheet and the turn a fan onto the side of the tent rather than directly misting or blowing air on the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sweet! What a lovely little place to relax. I quite fancy one of those myself! Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poor little Dog to be so hot. What a kind Mumu you are. Its cold here in the UK but I am glad my little (or should I say large!) dog does not have to suffer the heat. He is 13 and I would hate for him to be that uncomfortable. I saw one doggy mother put ice cubes in their water bowl to keep them cool. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bless her! Now she's got her own special corner to rest undisturbed, what a great idea and great job you and your husband did! Shows how those old half broken things tossed in the garage/barn/shed/attic do sometimes come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous pup tent, and your pooch looks well-pleased :-) She looks a lovely old sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea - I can feel fabric inspiration hitting even now as I think of all the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sweetest little pup tent ever. I think she loves it. I may steal this idea from you very soon!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete