Monday, July 30, 2012

Sleepover Sweater

 

DSCF0780a

I don’t usually like pullovers, but this one grabbed me and I made the whole thing in about a week.  Something about working stripes is just so fascinating.  Getting to the next color change, just six rows away, seems like such an accomplishment.  Even though I think it actually takes a little longer, having to keep cutting the yarn and joining a new color, it feels like progress.  I don’t know, it’s just entertaining.  I’m pretty simple that way.  (Oooh, blue!  Oooh, brown!  Ooooh, blue again!) 

DSCF0775a

All the yarns I used (there are actually four different colors here) came from recycled yarn—stuff I’ve made and didn’t love.  The blue is from this, and the browns are from this and this.  I’m known to do this from time to time, unravel something when I’m tired of it and make something else.  Do you all do this, too?  I’ll do that until the yarn is so worn out and felted and pilly that it won’t come apart anymore. 

DSCF0748a

This is Driftwood by Isabell Kraemer (free pattern!  Isabell, you’re awesome!) and it is exactly the kind of sweater I love to have.  Big and comfy and soft, something to pull on over what I’m already wearing, something for when it’s a little chilly.  I have a lot of shaped and fitted cardigans for when I need to look like a grown up, but this sweater is for when I’m at home in my socks and maybe there’s a little rain, and maybe my BFF is here and we’re making avocado face masks and staying up late to watch SNL.   If the sleeves look extra-long, it’s because A) they are—I like extra-long sleeves—B) the shoulders on the dress form are a bit narrow, so they hang down a lot, and C) the gauge on this project is intentionally loose, so it got a little (okay, a lot) stretched out after blocking.  Well, happily, I do like long sleeves, but next time I think I’d use a smaller needle.  

DSCF0770a

This design has a really interesting construction element, too—it’s worked from the top down, all in one piece, as usual, but the sleeve increases are done so that the result appears to be a set-in sleeve cap, which is just extremely clever.  This method is the brainchild of Susie Myers, and I love that people are still, still inventing new ways to make knitting work better. 

DSCF0764a

There’s the perfect use for some vintage buttons.  Everything about this sweater just worked—oh, I love it when that happens.  I felt like starting a project on a Thursday night while the kids were at a midnight movie and I couldn’t go to bed anyway, and the yarn was right there in the cupboard and the pattern was easy and also interesting, and by the time they got home I was most of the way down the yoke and awful sleepy but that sense of getting something underway is just so great, and I tell you, I was in the grip of this, and I just worked on this constantly until it was done. 

DSCF0783a

It’s a knitting success story. 

30 comments:

  1. It's beautiful well done, and the long sleeves just add to it's cosyness I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous...I could so use one in a bright yellow with a bright pink lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A success story indeed! It has such a cozy look to it. It's faced and put on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! Looks so warm and cozy. and you are knittting sweaters in a week! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfy, eco, fun to make and looks good...congratulations! Even better you finished it quickly! Will bookmark that pattern, thanks. I have still never knitted a top down sweater :o Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so comfy! I love the blue and brown together. And you made that in only a week?? Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a complete success! i love it kristen, it's the perfect cosy sweater, love the stripes and the florals you've paired it with, and of course you know i need one too. off to follow your links, but i was too excited to comment first. your amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your sweater - the colours go perfectly and it looks so cosy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is darling! I can't believe how fast you knit!!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally cute, the kind of sweater I look for when I go shopping. You are a sweater making wizard/goddess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i thought the name seemed familiar, i have paulie queued, LOVE her designs. followed the links, but didn't find your ravelry page?

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it soooo much, too!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great sweater - perfect for a night on the couch. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern link!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just getting to grips with knitting (I'm a crochet bod by preference) as I want to be able to knit my own jumpers. This is lovely, and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this jumper and I loved being able to look back at where you'd recycled the yarn from. Thanks for sharing, x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for that! I've just popped it in my ravelry library collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I love the colors and the extraaaa long sleeves and the buttons such an awesome sweater!!
    Have a great week looking forward to your next post.
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristen, you continue to amaze and inspire me! I have yet to knit a sweater, but what you have made looks beautiful on you...and that you unraveled other garments to make it so impresses me. My first attempt at starting a sweater is still in a basket on top of a bookshelf waiting for me to unravel it and repurpose the yarn...I think I confessed that to you before not long ago and here you have already completed another sweater. I really must get busy =)
    Hugs from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kristin. Your sweater looks wonderful. I have this same one on my needles right now. I am so impressed with your speed as I had to pull out the first 4 rows about a dozen times (those increases did my head in)- I am slightly above beginner, mind you! And so I am about a week into it with only a dozen rows! haha. I've chosen a soft white with a soft green (serenade by Bendigo Woollen Mills in Powder and Aloe). You have given me new gusto to keep going- the olympics air in the night here (australia) so plenty of late night staying up clickety-clacking is in order. xx Fi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute -- I'm simple about color change like that too -- it's like eating potato chip, just one more and before you know it the bag's empty! Congrats on a lovely sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You gotta love a success story!! Looks lovely and comfy and just the type of jumper to relax in. The speed with which you complete projects is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! You are so talented and to make it in just a week! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How nice...I LOVE IT! You did a great job and loveling the long sleeves. I to undo things all the time. If I run out of one color for a new project...instead of running to town, I look through all my other things to see if I really need it and then the unraveling begins!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kristen,My daughter's blog LookbookUnlimited is began broadcasting...I hope, you do support her:)))Have a nice day:))

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great jumper (yes that is what we call them in NZ!) - love the stripes and the casual beachy look.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love, love, love your striped jumper! Blue and brown is such a yummy colour combo. (Just spotted another kiwi comment above mine explaining the jumper thing!).

    Just back from holiday so am in catch up mode. Can't wait to see what else you've been up to hon.
    Leah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your sweater. I'm making a size 42 tall right now for my son....all stockinette and I tell ya, when's it gonna end!!!?? I admire your stick-to-it-ness, completing yours in a week. His birthday is in September and, well, I'm not gonna make it!!

    Thanks for listening :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  28. This truly is a beautiful sweater,I love the stripes and the colours really compliment each other. Your really are one super sonic knitter to do this in 1 week! Thanks for the links xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete