Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Salvaged Bag

DSCF0889

I am either super-thrifty or else just a total cheapskate.  I bought this chocolate brown suede Ann Taylor Loft bag at the thrift store the other day for something like seven dollars, and came home feeling like a genius until I got home and opened it up all the way and noticed that it had along the way been the unfortunate victim of a pen explosion:

DSCF0883a

There were the sequential moments, then, of me saying, “Aw, jeeeez,” and the dark, bitter realization of knowing why the bag had been at the thrift store, followed by the wondering whether it would bother me to have big ink blobs on the lining of my new bag, and me trying to convince myself that the blobs were on the inside and nobody would ever know they were there, and then me knowing that I would know they were there and that I would be endlessly bugged by it, and then, finally, me figuring out a way to salvage this bag through the Magic of Crafting.

I turned the lining to the outside and cut open the side seam so I could get my hand in there [yuck.  Why is that yucky?  I don’t know, but it is] and then I hand-appliqued little patches from my scraps basket over each ink blob.

DSCF0885a

I don’t know what it is about doing this that gives me the creeps, but I couldn’t wait to sew it shut again.  Anyhoo.

DSCF0887a

There!  So much better.  And now it’s crafty, too, which is, as you know, my favorite thing ever.  I tucked a cotton ball dosed with a few drops of lavender essential oil into the pocket and waited, and overnight, this bag became brand new again.  That is magic. 

16 comments:

  1. Again you have made something just perfect. I love it.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I like the cheerful patches you used; fresh and fun. Have a great day Kristen. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something grungy about that space between the lining and the purse. I feel that way when reaching my hand between the couch cushions, then I realize it needs a good vacuum. This is a fab idea, I love the patches, and the lining is PINK! (extra cuteness) Now I'll be looking at bags in the Thrift store with a different eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! I love little patches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love it! that's something i would do! So glad to know there are other people like me out there! =) What a find, by the way - give yourself a little pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a crafty genius. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey, you're clever.
    Like the tip about lavender oil on cotton wool to freshen it up, too.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a genius!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~thud~

    my very favoritiest color combo ever in the Whole Wide World is Chocolate brown and Just So Pink

    I am eternally jealous of your find!


    and the patches are just too dang sweet! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great idea and it turned out so cute.
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about those creepy inner spaces on purses! Great fix to a "yucky" problem! It turned out really nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! Otherwise it would have been a pity to toss it away since it is a GREAT bag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thrifty and super cute. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a brilliant idea! Too cute. Have a fab weekend hon. Enjoy your gorgeous new bag!
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very smart and a fabulous idea! I might have gone a different way and made things more complicated,I would have ripped it all out and start over..but you were so clever and ta da.....supper cute!!

    ReplyDelete