Saturday, August 4, 2012

What to do with a messy life

DSCF0722a

The greatest thing in my life is that I have two fantastic kids who seem to want to hang out with me, and one really wonderful husband who sings opera in the shower, and a kitty who lets you snuggle him on the belly with your face, and a dog who won’t go to bed without two hugs and a story, but sometimes, you know what?  It’s pretty messy.  All those gorgeous people just leave a lot of stuff lying around and all those beautiful animals put down a lot of muddy footprints and hair.  So I clean, all the time, and it sometimes feels so endless, and I finish sweeping one room, move on to the next, and by the time I get back, somebody’s got their feet up on the white couch (I know, what was I thinking getting a white couch?) licking popcorn salt off their fingers.  It’s a blessing, really, because they’re all here in my house and I adore them, but I do spend a lot of quality time with my cleaning products. 

DSCF0723a

So then why have I been using ratty pieces of old towels and (I swear this is true) the last of the cloth diapers (my youngest child is 17) when I could be polishing the faucet with something pretty?  There is always room in my life for more lovely things, especially things with which I am so often engaged, so, inspired again by Lucy at Attic24, I stitched up some flowered flannel into cleaning rags.  Yes, I have made some rags.  Each one is just two 10” x 10” squares, stitched wrong-sides together and then turned and topstitched.  Much nicer.  Bring on the dirt.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen, Just catching up on all your posts, haven't had much time recently to read so trying to pop over to my favourite blogs this afternoon.

    Oh what a lovely idea to make the chore of cleaning feel so much better...those little cloths look too good to get dirty though!

    Also love that beautiful crochet lacy top you made a few posts ago, this is the kind of top that really makes me want to crochet rather than knit. Loving the photo of the doctor in his 'lucky' shorts ..hope he had a good 5k...and why not you too ????????

    Have a happy weekend, it's been so nice to pop over and catch up on all your posts.
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your practical attitude to life (and dirt!!!)! ;-D
    Enjoy your weekend, xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh because I am still using a ratty old cloth diaper from my kids too (15 & 21 now)...but they work so well! The flannel ones would be alot prettier :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh. Those are too pretty to clean with. I use socks that have holes in them or those that are pairless. :) Have a great day! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making rags is a good thing! Might as well make it pretty when you have work to do. I have noticed that when there is a houseful of adults, you usually end up with adult messes. My daughter will be moving back in temporarily, and I'm already anticipating the trail of used teabags, messy bathroom counter and jostling for laundry room time. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Pretty rags and Meyers cleaner (love the Basil dish soap) are a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea of making your own rags. Mine to have several holes and each time they make a run through the washer and dryer, I have a ton of strings to fight with.I am telling you, each time I read one of your post I feel like I am reading my life to a T. I to live with my husband, two teenage children...one boy and one girl, and then a 4yr old on top of that. The one who is worst a out of all of them as messes goes, is my husband. I really sometimes think he does it on my nerves cause I am a such a clean freak...it's bad, I even have to vacuum the floors all over the house each night before I go to bed even though I did it about two times already that day! Go ahead and laugh..it's a OCD kind of thing!! Have a great weekend! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea! I think part of why i don't clean as often as I should (I'm a rotten example for my kids) is that it's just so dreary. These might perk it up a bit - and give me something to do with outgrown flannel pjs that are too sweet to throw out and too hole-y to give to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, I still just use terry nappies from my three, age range 23 down to 16, last used 14 years ago for the real deal! Getting pretty raggy now though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! And so perfectly pretty, too.
    Have a super-clean weekend.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should all clean with pretty rags - if we can't get someone else to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this, I am mad on the up-cycle this week, this fits nicely! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Maybe I would even clean if I had pretty rags!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty Rags . . . . this is just so hilarious!
    (but they are lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful, i love that raggs can be nice to look at and clean with too. i remember using the last of the cloth diapers and feeling sad. hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dog gets a bed time story?!! Too cute : -)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! You could also stitch a layer of flannel to a layer of cloth nappy - making 2 sides one more sturdy, one softer. :)
    I love this. I might just have to try it myself. Thanks Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are the prettiest cleaning rags I've ever seen. Almost too nice to mess up cleaning with them. That is a cute idea, though.---------Shannon

    ReplyDelete