Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Flannel Nightgown

DSCF1362a

If I had to choose one thing to wear every day for the rest of my natural life, it would be this nightgown.  I don’t know how it went so right, but it did and I’m glad, and now I have the pattern forever and ever.

DSCF1360a

Critical Element 1:  This little gathered bit at the front, below the [Critical Element 2] yoke.   That seemingly insignificant detail makes things just roomy enough at the front.  Too many more gathers than this and you have billowy, and billowy is not my friend. 

DSCF1359a

More stuff that worked:  this hand-sewn bias edging (it has to be on the bias, see the  fabric grain?  That’s what makes it go around the curves) made a neat finish, and no rough seams.

DSCF1365a

The depth of the armholes is just right, the amount of positive ease (that’s the measure of the difference between the actual size of the garment and the actual size of myself) is perfect, and the calico-printed brushed flannel is soft and snuggly.  I want to live in this!  Couldn’t I just add a little scarf and a pair of Audrey Hepburn flats and see if it would pass for a dress?  No? 

To make it, I simply traced my old favorite nightgown onto some big paper, drawing the yoke piece separately and marking where I should gather the fabric.  I cut everything out, sewed the yoke to the front, sewed the back to the front at the shoulders and sides, made a long strip of 1 1/4” bias edging and attached it at the neck and arm openings, and then hemmed the bottom edge.  Really, so easy.  So cozy.  It’s my new uniform.

DSCF1363a

I’m sending love to all those who were in Sandy’s path, and thanks to all who did the same for me and mine—we were spared all but some rain and gusty winds, thank goodness.  She was a terrible beast. 

12 comments:

  1. Hello Kristen
    Glad to hear you have weathered the storm well. IT Truly must have been a bone shaker if I go by the scenes I've seen on the news here....scary very scary. I do feel for those people who have lost their homes....what a nightmare!!!
    Thats certainly my sort of nightdress .light,comfy and no frills to ruffle up or crease over and cause discomfort. I pass on the sexy negligee gear....sleeping well and feeling comfy is my preference.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous nightie!!! Looks very snuggly... Glad you survived the storm. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a perfectly perfect nightie.
    So glad you are okay from the storm!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks perfect for snuggling in! Glad to heaar the storm missed you, it looked dreadful
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice nightie. I go even cozier with full flannel pajamas including arms and legs (once I turned 40, I felt the cold winters more). Glad to hear you were safe from the storm. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI KIRSTEN, IT'S VERY NICE. LOOKS SO SOFT. I WOULD LIVE IN IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! SO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU ARE SAFE FORM THAT STORM, SHARI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are safe, Sandy was just a terrible storm. Love your new flannel creation.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go! Very cute. I would wear this with my Ugg boots and a cozy sweater. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Glad you are ok, I have been worrying for you and have checked in on you often this week. Relieved to hear from you.
    Now then......you have just made the EXACT pattern I've had in my mind and have been searching for! I'm wanting to make some simple sleeveless tunic/tops with pretty bias binding trim and large patch pockets to wear long over jeans. I was wondering about needing a yoke and a simple pleat/gathers at that point, you have proved that it is indeed necessary. Did you really just make the pattern yourself? So wish I could do that. I don't know where to look for a patterm any suggestions?
    lots of love, and a warm, safe-from-the-storm hug, can stop worrying about ya now!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kirsten. Glad that you are safe from the storm. Love your nightie. I've never worn nighties - I'm a PJ gal - but this really looks comfy. Do they get twisted around you when sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes you can wear it as a dress! it's adorable, maybe choose something nonflannel to make it up in. i love it kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you made it through Sandy ok :) That is one gorgeous nightgown! You make it look/sound so simple to design & make I am in awe of your talents yet again Kristen! It looks so perfect & snuggly I would want to live in that too :) Have a lovely weekend, Helen x

    ReplyDelete