Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Getting Ready

 

DSCF1329a

I have this idea about winter.  There’s me walking along a snowy path as the flakes come drifting down, great big quarter-sized snowflakes that stick to my red hat and mittens, and the streetlamps cast golden circles.  I leave a trail of footprints.  I am probably on my way home from the library.  It’s almost dark, and there is hot soup at home, and cocoa, and the fireside.  I want to knit a wooly brown sweater coat to go with the imagined red mittens and pompom hat, and this is the beginning of it.  There will be (what else?) garter stitch and silver buttons and big military-style cuffs.  Last year it didn’t snow at all, and I wore ballet flats with no socks straight through January—in New York!  I know!—and I don’t want a repeat of that.  I want snow. 

You can see my entire design process in that photo up there.  A spiral-bound notebook, one page with a scribbled drawing (eek, don’t judge my drawing skillz) and some hasty notes, and another page with an actual attempt at a schematic, and real-life measurements and some math.  Once I know what I’m aiming for, I swatch the yarn I plan to use with the needle I’m hoping will work, do a little elementary multiplication, and start knitting.  Very often, I start knitting one end of the sweater before I’ve even decided what the other end will look like.  Once I get a design figured out, and a yarn chosen, and gauge sorted out, I really can’t wait to get started with the knitting.  I’m impatient like that. 

DSCF1333a

21 comments:

  1. Wow, I am agog with your designing skills. If it's not written out for me, I don't think I could do anything like this. You go, girl. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing!!!Now there is no way I can write it all out, sizes and all,and then make it...won't happen. I have to have it all written out for me and then maybe, just maybe it will fit. I agree, I can't wait to see it finished! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last winter I was living in Southern California, the temperature would get to 30C even in January. This year I am moving back to the UK at the start of winter and am quite looking forward to the colder snuggly weather. Miss S x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely warm color! Just wish i could knit at least half as well as i can manage with a hook :( In awe of your design skills:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's already looking like it will be a great sweater. ..I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are on a good path!!! That brown hue is beautiful!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I really envy you your skills kristen, I would love to be able to design and make - even when I follow a pattern it doesn't always turn out right!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see the same in your picture as in my home...halfway around the world. An idea, a bunch of scribbeling in a booklet, yarn and the beginning of a dream come true. I'm also very impatient to see how this story will end. Happily ever after, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so clever!!! And I'm so jealous!!! ;-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to judge your drawing skill - I think it's great drawing and design. You've really captured the style of the cardigan on the page, I can almost see it knitted up already. I think it will be lovely. Very clever.

    Something else occurred to me while reading your blog, I love your pretty makes and beautiful photos of them, but I also really enjoy your words. I bet you would write a beautiful novel or short stories. Could you, would you?

    Sara


    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You can draw and make the pictures come to life... I would love that skill! I can't wait to see the finished product. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm intrigued by that lovely snuggly come walk in the woods with me BROWN!!!!! Love the styling of the sweater coat!!!! Looking forward to seeing it completed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started a brown sweater jacket during the winder Olympics two years ago, it remains in my UFO pile. The yarn just isn't yummy enough, I think I should just felt it all up and make a bag out of it, but what to do with the remaining yarn? Love your idea.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the fact that you can sit down, design a sweater and then make it far overshadow your lack (which, really? you can draw just fine!) of skillz. :)

    Here's hoping you're done for the first snow fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhh, that sounds amazing! I read your blog far too often, and have seen the sweaters you've done, and they're gorgeous, I'm sure a jacket of this sort will be cake for you to finish, and it will be divine when it's done. :) Hopefully it snows as soon as it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing! it will be beautiful i'm sure. i'm loving that color right now also, must be autumn! love your drawings too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sketch is amazeballs, and that sweater is going to be a beaut! Half the fun is the design process isn't it?
    Sometimes, when I'm about three fourths through a project, there is a moment when I want someone else to finish it, so I can go onto the next thing. Then I hit the gas towards the end.
    But the beginning, what you are describing here,(with a story to go with it!) that's where all the magic happens!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what do I think? ...... gorgeous!!!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your design looks gorgeous. Great colour. I love your 'dream' walk home, lets hope you get the chance to live it this winter.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It´s wonderful!
    I visited your blog and believe you´re great designer.
    I´ll back.
    Mi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Kristen, what a beautiful image....you've made me want a knitted sweater coat too ... but in my dreams it's charcoal grey with mulberry mittens and hat!!!! Not sure I'll get round to knitting it this winter though, but it's sure nice to dream about it!

    Happy dreaming and knitting.
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete