Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Loulouthi-edged Blanket

DSCF1336a

This gray wool/cotton blanket needed a little something.  It was originally manufactured in a hurry, I think, because the cut ends were not square, and it was “bound” with sloppy serging, which ruffled up like crazy.  It couldn’t be folded neatly.  There was a sewn-on tag that said “Washing Instructions” and that’s all.  There were no washing instructions on it!  I sort of loved that.  Might be the rest of it faded away. 

DSCF1337a

I squared up the ends and then cut 2 1/2” wide pieces of what remains of my beloved stash of Anna Maria’s Loulouthi, stitching them into a long enough strip and then sewing them over the newly cut ends.  I tacked a piece of cotton lace underneath the edge.  I am so in love with Anna’s design sensibility right now.  So much gorgeous color.  Check this out.  Doesn’t that just make you want to get cracking?  My mama always used to say that, “Come on, let’s get cracking!”  It means, hurry up, get on with it.  Better get on with it, then.  See ya!

15 comments:

  1. Such a good idea! The color is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's a neat idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a awesome and lovely idea...I have a blanket that does that also...drives me nuts! Now I have a perfect solution! Funny about the tag and my grandmother always used to say " lets get crackin!" too funny Have a lovely week. Shari.

    Just incase you didn't realize...this is my new blog...the old one was Shari's Crochet...I made a few changes..") Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I really like the bright colors and especially the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric looks great on the gray. I keep every scrap of Anna Maria's material, no matter how tiny. It's hard to cut into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Loved that lace, adds a lovely touch to the gray.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious to know if this was a thrift store purchase from last post. You've made a dark grey 'meh' blanket come alive - love your quick ideas. And just a note ... you you don't have a thrift store shopping 'problem' until you start hiding the bags you bring in the door from the rest of your family...just saying :)
    Wendy
    ps I hid a thrift store bag from my husband on the weekend :[

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is SO pretty kristen, i want all my blankets to look like that now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, my blanket guru, for yet another great idea.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so pretty! Grey with bright, colourful bits added is my favourite at the moment! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Mom uses that expression too! And you've totally inspired me - I have a vintage Hudson's Bay blanket (in pink) that is in need of a little love. And putting a new binding on it would be the perfect way to make it a little prettier and hopefully put it back into the cosy rotation. We had our first flakes of snow this week so I'm piling up the blanket collection!

    ReplyDelete