Friday, October 26, 2012

Memento

DSCF0893a

When I was a girl, we took a trip to Whitefish Point on Lake Superior, where the water was achingly cold, even in August.  We watched our ankles turn white, then purple as we tried to wade in the waves.  Whitefish Point is, famously, the safe haven never reached by the Edmund FitzgeraldThis was one of my dad’s favorite songs.  His heartstrings were easily tugged, and I am a girl like that, too.  Things move me.  The beach that day was made up of a million flat white stones, and my dad picked one up, one just like all the others, and said, “Here.  This is your souvenir.  Keep it in your pocket.”  Nothing flowery or sentimental, though he and I both were the flowery, sentimental type, and I tucked the stone—an agate, I think—into my pocket.  I thought I would probably keep it forever, and I did, for a long time.  I knew exactly where that stone was for such a long time, and it is only recently that I’m not sure where it is.  It is somewhere, though, the stone he chose for me out of the millions that were just like it. 

If I could find it today, I might crochet a little jacket for it, like this one, and wear it.  Like the pebble I used here, it was nothing special, just a rock, just like all the others on the beach.  There is something about the choosing, isn’t there? 

DSCF0899a

I didn’t use any pattern; I just found some crochet cotton and a teeny hook and hooked up something that looked good.  What you do is you make the front of it, some kind of medallion or motif that’s mostly the same size as the stone, then you do a round or two of decreases to cinch it up at the back a little, stick the stone inside, and cinch it up some more.  Fasten it off, make a loop, weave in the ends.  That’s all.  I sort of think this looks like a turtle. 

15 comments:

  1. Yes it does look like a perfect little turtle...I also am very emotional about the things my dad gave to me or made...the pebble looks just like it was made for this perfect little locket. So pretty and so sentimental ... I love it. It makes me think of my dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty.... I think you're really going to have to search around and find that stone. Now it has the perfect home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a turtle! Definitely! A cute one at that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a tiny cute turtle!!! I love it!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea! I think I might have to give it a go. And yes I agree, it's definitely a turtle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet idea - next rainy day you've got to find that stone! I like the simplicity of this little pendant - really nice :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up beautiful stones this summer when on a trip north of Duluth, I just might make a little jacket for one of them. Lovely post about your Dad.
    Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. On a camping trip to the beach, my Dad and I found a piece of driftwood that looked just like a fish. He mounted it on a piece of wood and has it hanging up on his porch. Good thing, because there is no way I could wear that thing around my neck like your pebble. Which is a super idea by the way. And very cute, maybe with a peasant blouse? You must have had to use like a -d crochet hook, or something equally as teeny tiny?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing a beautiful memory and a lovely idea, Kristen. Your creation reminds me of a turtle ,too... and I like turtles:) xx Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely idea for a special stone, I have little collections of special stones & shells on shelves & windowsills around the house so I have plenty to practise on! Love how it looks like a turtle too. You're right it's all in the choosing ;) Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet! I hope you find your special little stone. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the most perfect little stone! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Minha querida, não falo sua língua mas sei apreciar o belo e o bem feito.
    Seu blog é lindo!
    Amei suas blusas de trico e tudo mais.
    Parabens.
    Beijoca Nilda
    http://meucantin5.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool idea. I have been carrying around a very flat stone (tiny) since we have been living out in the country. This rock is 6 years old and I found it at the river. Time to wear it around my neck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this idea, but still can't fathom out how to do the back. I'm a hopeless beginner at this crochet lark! Any more top tips please? And I'm so envious that you visited Whitefish Bay..was only listening to my Gordon Lightfoot compilation the other day and listening to 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' over and over again! Thanks so much for sharing all your ideas

    ReplyDelete