Thursday, October 4, 2012

More Driftwood

DSCF1207a

So I had a little bit of cream yarn (Patons Classic Wool, leftover from this) and a little bit of gray yarn (Ella Rae Classic, stashed during the fabled Great 70% Off Sale of 2012), not enough of either to make anything, really, which is frustrating, except…stripes.  Bingo.  This is my second Driftwood, and I hardly ever make two of the same sweater—well, I thought I hardly ever did that, but it looks like I do that a lot—all I can say is this design is just mighty excellent.   (I don’t know why it looks like I’m doing a backbend in that photo.  Probably I thought it would make me look more model-y or something.)  I went down a needle size, to a US 7, and the resulting fabric is lovely, the exact right combination of body and drape.  Goodness, it’s so important to pay attention to the relationship between the yarn and the needles.  It’s fine to “get gauge” but the resulting fabric still has to work.   This yarn wanted a US 7. 

Now I think a multi-colored Driftwood might be kind of fantastic.  Or maybe different shades of one color, for an ombre effect?  Can I stand to make three of these in a row?  I think so.  This sweater just fits me. 

22 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really nice! I wish I could knit like this. I know the basics, but I'm so used to one crochet hook, that I'm totally spastic with two knitting needles. I can't get it to flow easily. I love how this turned out, and the colors and drape too. You DO look very model-y. I thought the photo was the one from the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful, such perfect colors, boy are you going to get a lot of wear out of this one. ANd you do look all modelish with your back bent just so.
    Mueredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great on you Kristen, so comfy and just right for this time of year. Those soft neutrals will go with almost anything.
    A multi coloured one would be amazing!
    I bet you're already burrowing in your yarn stash choosing those colours as I type!
    Have fun!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pattern and it looks fab on you. I've been looking for a sweater pattern for myself and this might just be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's freeee! Give it a try, and I'd love to see it when you're done. :)

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely and warm, Kristen. I am off to find one of my sweaters to put on because I am chilly even though the sun is shining and I have the heat on:) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sweater, no wonder you've made more than one. Modelled very well I have to say, have you been practising? :)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already pinned the pattern from your first denim one, I really must try and make just 1..looks great, neat, comfy smart and casual and not at all frumpy! All the colour combos you suggest would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love following your blog! You are so creative and I can't believe how quickly you spin out your projects! I wish I had your tenacity :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love stripes, too!!!
    Go for the third one!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen, I LOVE this sweater on you, and I feel like I might love it for me too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's completely amazing, i love it and love it on you. my goodness you knit fast. i would defintely like to see one in ombre stripes. beautiful knitting kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous...just gorgeous...when I first opened the picture I thought to myself ... No this wasn't handmade ... But sure it was ...and you did it ... It's absolutely gorgeous! It looks great on you and perfectly made...so professional and elegant just like everything you do... I admire you and your work so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely sweater. Makes me want to try my hand at knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely sweater! Such pretty, soft colours.
    Well done you!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so jealous of your colorful blanket! Gosh, that is nice! And the sweater really suits you, lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like bliss to wear! Totally suits your frame.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What about a solid/noro stripe combo version!? I'd love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic idea--off now to scrounge the stash!

      Delete