Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Easy

DSCF1563a

One of my big roadblocks in this life is figuring out what’s for dinner.  “What’s for dinner?”  makes me kind of cringe.  I always think What, again?  Already?  Didn’t we just eat dinner yesterday?  I don’t know, I’d rather just eat leftover Chinese takeout straight from the carton.  I’m kinda lazy.  So I was pretty happy when I came up with the most genius post-holiday dinner idea ever:  Leftover Thanksgiving Dinner Mashed Potato Soup.  It’s just all your leftover mashed potatoes, plus some broth, plus a couple chopped up leeks, plus a little bit of sour cream and the last of the milk before it goes bad, plus I fried up some bacon and crumbled that in, which is when it started to get really heavenly, and then I shredded about a cup of cheese and stirred that in, too.  Salt and pepper.  It was so good!  I just ate it, thinking, That’s what I’m talking about.  In case you want a real recipe, here’s mostly what I did:

Lazy Girl Leftover Thanksgiving Dinner Mashed Potato Soup

1/4 cup olive oil

2 leeks, chopped

2 or 3 cups (leftover Thanksgiving Day) mashed potatoes

2 cups (leftover Thanksgiving Day) chicken broth

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup (leftover Thanksgiving Day) sour cream

Salt and pepper to taste

Pinch dried tarragon, if you feel like it

6 strips bacon, fried crispy and crumbled

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Saute the leeks in the olive oil until they’re soft.  Dump in the mashed potatoes, and add the broth.  Add water if it needs more liquid.  Stir it up good and bring it to a boil.  Let it bubble for awhile, until everything is nice and hot, then turn the heat down to a simmer, and use an immersion blender to whip it all smooth.  Stir in the milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, and tarragon.  Crumble in the bacon and stir in the cheese.   Easy, and delicious. 

DSCF1559a

One night last week, I came home to find the girl and her BFF sitting around the table making needle-felted animals from little kits they’d bought, which honestly made my heart leap around with comfort and joy.  The craftiness around here does not end with me.  The next day they were casting about for something to do so I put them to work on pom poms, which are also easy.  They happily made these, amid much giggling and narration.  They made tea. They posed for goofy pictures. 

DSCF1564a

Then Dean made a huge pan of cinnamon rolls from scratch, and we ate them and decorated the Christmas tree, listening to a lot of Nat King Cole on Pandora.  Crafts.  Soup.  Friends.  Cinnamon.  Life is so good. 

12 comments:

  1. Lots of good ingredients there for a good life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup sounded so good ... but the friends/pompoms/cinnamon/tree & Nat sounded the best! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and my father-in-law both made the best soups from leftovers so it is easy for me to believe your LGLTDMPS was scrumptious, Kristen. Thanks for sharing your recipe and for sharing your delight in the crafting and decorating and visiting that has been going on in your house, too. You have delighted me as well :) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup sounds great! You had me at bacon. And cheese. And what a great idea for leftover mashed potatoes, since they NEVER reheat properly anyway, and you always have to keep sticking them back in the microwave again and again.
    Pom Poms look like fun! And now I want cinnamon rolls for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you ... That is what life is all about :) Hapiness in the little things :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life sounds awesome, and so does that soup.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Kristen:
    Your soup sounds so very good.... Now I find myself wishing i Had some leftover tatos!!! My old go to use for them was to shape them into patties and very lightly dust them with flour and then fry them up in a cast iron pan in some butter.... I think yours you BETTER..... sure Bacon cheese and sour cream! Why not!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a happy post! :-)
    Pompoms are great fun to make! I tried making some with my class of 6-year-olds last year. Some of them got it. Others.... not so much! But I got totally addicted and couldn't stop pomom-making!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your blog. It is my morning coffee break and gets me started for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the most tasty dishes are made from leftovers. Your soup sounds delicious and so do the cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete