Monday, November 26, 2012

Finishing the body, and a note about gauge

DSCF1587a

A couple smallish road trips will do wonders for getting your knitting done.  I had this on my lap during a snowstorm as we drove in the back streets of suburban Buffalo, NY, and with the flakes sprinkling down around the streetlamps and the cozy golden windows and holiday lights and the hot coffee and Andy Williams on the radio, all things conspired to put me in a soft and happy frame of mind. 

The body of this, my adaptation of Sidsel Hoivik’s “Candy Jacket” (pattern published only in print copy and Norwegian, but forthcoming in a new book, according to Sidsel herself.  Stay tuned and keep checking Ravelry) has so far been the easy part.  At the bottom edge of the granny square bodice, I single-crocheted a few rows, working the last through the front loops only, leaving the back loops free for picking up knit stitches.

DSCF1551

I picked up one stitch for each crochet loop and hoped it would be close to the number of stitches needed to fit me.  Here’s where you really have to do a gauge swatch.  I can hear you all sighing; I know, gauge swatches are annoying—they take up time when you really just want to get to it, and what’s worse, they will totally lie to you.  I know.  Gauge swatches can lie like a rug.  But they’re the only chance you have, apart from wild guessing, at getting an end result that will fit you.  To do this, I knit a small sample in stockinette stitch, using the yarn I chose and the needle I hoped would work—in this case, Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool in Oatmeal and US 7—and then used a ruler on it to find out how many stitches I was getting per inch; 4.75.  [Don’t round up or down—that extra .75 of a stitch happens every inch, and if you multiply that by something like 40 inches, which is the distance around some part of most people, you’ll be either adding or subtracting 30 stitches in total, which will cause you big problems and make you hate your sweater in the end, and make you think you can’t knit, which is madness because of course you can, all you need to do is swatch and do the math!] 

DSCF1549

Okay, so once I knew how many stitches I would get per inch if I used this yarn and that needle, and I knew how big around I was at the part of my body where this waist join would hit me when I wore the jacket, I knew how many stitches I would need to pick up here.  So I did that, and then just started working my way toward the hem, increasing at the sides every few rows to accommodate my own increasing circumference as you go down toward the hem, and to create the skirt shape.  After awhile, I added the simple eyelet pattern, switching at that point to working the increases at the front opening edges so as not to disrupt the pattern, and then at the end, a couple rows of stranded knitting to add the little beads of color.  [Remember, this is Sidsel’s original design—none of this is my own.  I’m just working by the seat of my pants in poor imitation.]

DSCF1583a

I steam-blocked it at this point, to give me an idea of how it would drape.  More sighs!  Well, I am hardly ever going to tell you not to block something, because it honestly makes a huge difference in your work.  Here’s this piece before:

DSCF1580a

Not too bad in this stitch pattern, a little bunchy maybe.  Some stitch patterns at this point will look like an egg carton.  Anyway, here it is after I blasted it with a steam iron:

DSCF1581a

See?  It matters.  Blocking is key.  If you’re going to spend all that time and money on a project, you want it to look its very best, and blocking is the way.  Steam blocking is nothing more than hovering the hot iron full of water over the project and letting the steam whoosh out over it.  I smooth it with my hand as I go—carefully, the steam is very hot—maybe pulling the piece into place here and there.  I’m not pressing the piece; the iron doesn’t really touch the yarn at all. 

DSCF1585a

Sleeves next!  Should I start at the cuff and work up, or pick up at the armholes and work down?  Hmm, a puzzle. 

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous....as always!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello!! Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community.valentines teddy bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, your creativity, patience and speed never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's getting along fabulously, Kristen. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to note the process you went through thus far in your current project, Kristen. Even if I never make a sweater exactly like yours I am enjoying yours vicariously, AND I am encouraged to enjoy my next project with greater knowledge and a more positive attitude:)
    xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read each and every word as if I'm a knitter and could possibly make anything like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve the "Fly by the seat of your pants" lifetime achievement award. Your sweater is turning out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely amazing. You must have the patience of a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!!! your patience and accurate work have been prized !!! really good job, my dear!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha, i agree with lynne! fantastic beautiful progress kristen, i really can't wait to see you modeling this work of art. i think i would pick up and work down, but then cuff up you could do both sleeves at once...hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you did it. And I too think I would pick up at the armholes and work down. Groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen, Stumbled across your blog last week and have been going through all the months and years. I am head over heels that I found your blog. Is there anyway to contact you about knitting questions or to have to look at a project? Thank you for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, thanks very much! You can always email me at MissusJATgmailDOTcom. I'm happy to help when I can. :)

      Delete
  13. it is looking amazing! I can't wait to see the completed jacket, it really is like you would wear in a fairytale :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolute Genius! Wow Kristen its stunning and I now need to pick my jaw up from the ground :o) Love it all xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristen, you are soooo brave to do this! I'm envious, it's true. If it were me, I'd probably get in a real mess and end up throwing the whole lot out of the window (it HAS been done before!) but I know yours will be stunning, as always! As for the sleeves, well, I'd probably pick up stitches and work down cos that way you can see how the sleeve fits to the jacket before you've done too much knitting of the sleeve. Good luck! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hola Kristen esto es divino, que buena combinaciĆ³n el resultado final se ve hermoso ☺ me encanta besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks absolutely amazing!!! You are a yarn genius!

    And I have to say YOU DID NOT!!! That is referring to you singing with the Monkees! I just about fell off my chair when I saw that post. You lucky, lucky lady!

    Have a fab week hon,
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty! Perhaps starting at the shoulder and working down? Since you worked down on the body... Wow, I'm such a perfectionist! ;)
    Looking great! The patience to weave in all those ends, goodness! You are one talented gal!
    ~Grace Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brave, brave woman that you are! :) It's looking great! No idea which way you should work the sleeves I'm afraid. Happy immersing yourself in smooshy yarn!
    Sheree
    www.seaweedandraine.com

    ReplyDelete