Friday, November 2, 2012

Getting philosophical with Granny

DSCF1374

These little grannies (they’re very small, less than 2” across) are both great and dreadful.  They make excellent use of that last bit of yarn—the first round of 12 sc uses almost none—but they’re so small that it requires a great heap of them to make anything at all.  These are destined to be the bodice of a sweater, and I can’t believe how many I’ll need.  Something like 160.  Which feels like a lot.

I’ve always wanted to make a granny square sweater, a coat of many colors, a riotous and creative concoction to proudly announce my yarny avocation, and this is going to be that sweater, and maybe the first of many because it’s enormously fun.  I find, though, that it is very hard for me to get the colors right.  I scrapped the first thirty squares, pulled them all out and rewound the yarn, because they weren’t telling the right story.  For me, this is different from blanket making, where there’s a lot of leeway and most anything will work and it turns out fine in spite of all my rending and wailing.  This is a garment, and I’m holding it to a higher standard.  I think there’s a pretty fine line here, and I can’t always see it, and it would be so easy to veer off into left field and have it go a little crazy, just like it would be easy to choose a palette of four colors and play it safe—and both would be perfectly lovely sweaters, but they’re not what I’m trying to make.   I feel there’s a bit of an art to this, and normally I sort of just wing it, but this time, with this sweater, I want to use my skills.  I want to place the colors consciously.  There are days, too, when I want to work on this project but the light is wrong or I can’t see the subtleties well enough and anything I put together just fails.  It has taken such a long time, and I have 70 squares so far, and I’m glad to say I’m still having fun.  This is the opposite of garter stitch knitting, a nice counterpoint.  This is bending my brain a little, which feels nice. 

Of course, I also want a little mindless crocheting, so this is happening simultaneously:

DSCF1372a

After the sturm und drang of the mini grannies, working on this new blanket feels like a long, hot bath.  Balance.

18 comments:

  1. Just a note to say that I just discovered your blog thru Attic24 blog and I must say all your post are wonderful. So creative and talent galore. I have digested quite a few ideas for my own creativity. I live in a little hamlet called Water Valley, Alberta, Canada

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to make a granny sweater also, but haven't done it yet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. balance between tiny and huge!!! good!!
    happy weekend Kristen,
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds very exciting so can't wait to see it finished!!! You're over half way so keep going...!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh a granny sweater will be lovely. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the granny sweater, your hook is smoking right now.
    Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at this amazing dress :- http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.227796028.jpg

    Wish my hips were a little slimmer to wear this. Good luck with your sweater. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - I have no idea why all those spaces appeared between my words!

      Delete
  8. Yes, I can´t wait to see your new dress too :-) Have a lovely and productive weekend :-) Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic! I look forward to seeing your granny jumper as I love everything you make and this will be very exciting. I loved the colours in your first post about it, just beautiful :O)
    I agree about the line and we don't always see it... luckily I have my loved ones to point out to us that I may just be going a bit overboard with the granny goodness sometimes! (I don't always agree ;O)
    have a lovely weekend X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything you make Kristen comes out so lovely, can not wait to see it finished. Shari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oohhh can't wait to sit what you come up with! Meanwhile, have a look at the granny sweater my friend Cornell Strydom came up with from the remainders of squares submitted for a yarn bomb she co-ordinated for local magazine Ideas last year.
    (That is a horribly uncomfortably long sentence, sorry :-)
    http://ilovepom-poms.squarespace.com/blog/2012/6/25/granny-square-jersey-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love granny sqaures so much! those tiny ones look like little critters though I must admint! Good Luck all the same!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is something about tiny grannies that get me everytime. A sweater will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever you come up with will be fabulous as always. Grannies of any kind are wonderful and lovely. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. can't wait to see. you are the most productive person i know kristen! now i want tiny grannies in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see the grannie-adorned jersey when you've finished! I bet it will be utterly amazing (just like every other gorgeous creation you whip up). Loving the blanket too. In fact it has got my mind racing and I'm heading to my wool stash immediately.

    Have a fabulous week hon.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete