Thursday, November 29, 2012

In Which Ann Patchett makes me knit the same sleeve twice

DSCF1588a

Oh, I had this thing all figured out.  I crocheted around the armhole.  I picked up and knit.  I made a sleeve cap using short rows (thank you, Wendy Bernard).  I did a bit of ciphering to figure out how many stitches I would need, and when I had that many, I made coffee, picked up my book, and started knitting.

DSCF1599

This was the scene for most of the day.  The sleeve grew, the book absorbed my attention.  When my thumbs started to ache, I did what any sensible knitter would do and went to the kitchen to make a Sticky Lemon Cake.  Then I came back and knit some more.  When the sleeve was long enough, I put the book down and started to attach the crocheted granny square cuff, and that’s when I noticed I had knit the whole thing without adding the eyelet pattern.  I had gone about eleven inches too far.  I purely forgot about the eyelet pattern.  I put the thing on as it was, and stood in front of the mirror, hoping.  There was a little bit of a back and forth at that point, between me saying “Who cares?  It’s just for me anyway, right?  It looks fine!  It looks fine, right?” and Dean saying, “Well if you don’t care, I don’t care,” and then me saying, “Well, I think it looks fine like this,” and then him saying, “Sure, it looks fine.  If you don’t care.”  And then I thought of coming back here and saying, Well, you know, I goofed it up, but who cares, right?  And then I ripped it all out, all the way back to the sleeve cap, a whole day’s knitting.  Because I care.  I do, I care. 

DSCF1592a

Finish book.  Then knit. 

21 comments:

  1. I care too but I could cry for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have to ask yourself if you care, then you care, otherwise you would have kept going with the other sleeve. How painful to rip out 11 inches of knitting. It will be totally worth it in the end.
    At least you had cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartache indeed!! I would have done the same thing, and you know it will be completely satisfying in the end. You'll be esctatic that you included the eyelet part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have "frogged" more than I like to admit. It just drives me crazy to see a mistake although others may never see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quel nightmare! But you would have always thought about it had you left it............and as Lynne says, atleast you had cake to ease the frustration.
    Lovely colour yarns.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a brave woman, both for ripping all of that knitting back and for reading while knitting. It's still a gorgeous project :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the sensible thing, a pity it was a days work, but in the end you will be glad about it. And you do knit fast!!! I so love it!! groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you for caring. There are times when I have 'not cared' and although others may not have been looking for any errors they were always glaringly obvious to me. You will be glad that you cared in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there! In the end you will be happy that you ripped back and reworked it. Whenever I have tried to ignore a mistake or make do, I end up not liking the garment and wishing I had taken the time to correct it. If you've ever read the YarnHarlot's blog and seen some of the epic re-do's of a project that she made a mistake on, you will realize you have joined the ranks of the superstar knitters!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did right, but how painful.....Be brave!!! I know it will be gorgeous at the end!!
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  11. I nearly missed my flight because I was reading Kate Morton's The Distant Hours while I was sitting in the terminal. This is the second near-miss for me, so I have had to veto reading when I need to keep my wits about me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brave woman! It is good to recognize what you care about, and act accordingly...in my humble opinion:) Soldier on, Kristen...we are cheering you battle plan :) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been there done that...ripped out many times. Its all worth it in the end. Now if I could only figure out how to make my own patterns. You're so talented :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the bottom of your granny sweater turned out. It's gonna be gorgeous once done. Sorry you had to frog it, but you will be so very happy that you did when it is finally finished and you can say "ah, just right!" Have a lovely day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just hate it when something like that happens....humpf!

    But your heart will tell you you did the right thing even if your head is screaming at you....you're joking!!!!!!!

    It's gorgeous..can't wait to see a tah-da!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Think how happy you'll be when it's done the way you envisioned it. I rip, tear, erase and unscrew a LOT of things. I just say to myself "I did it once, I can do it again". It wasn't a day wasted, you finished a book and made cake! (still it does frustrate) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you can read a book AND knit at the same time??? Amazing... I do care, too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving all the colours. Just wanted you to know your boots totally inspired me and I made something similar for a friend.

    http://paperandpearls.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/hexagon-boots-ta-dah.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...If that was me i would of burst into tears...

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGosh...you are a knitting warrior! Your sweater is going to be to-die-for...kudos to you...you rock!
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog and I love it. I love what you make and I very much relate to what you write even though I am not as an experienced knitter as you are. I actually was pretty sure when I saw your blog title that I would enjoy your blog. I love cozy.

    ReplyDelete