Saturday, November 10, 2012

Winging it

DSCF1512a

I fell madly for this sweater (designed by the extremely talented Sidsel Hoivik) which I think is actually some kind of magical fairy coat, or maybe something made for baby elves by their old grannies.  It definitely belongs in a fairy tale.  I think if you wear it, you’ll automatically smell like cinnamon sugar.  You’ll find yourself living in a stone cottage in a forest meadow, your friends consisting of woodland creatures and one cranky old man with a hand-carved walking stick and a heart of gold. 

It also seems to me this sweater is the perfect blend of crochet and knitting; it is the best of both—the granny square bodice is a creative wonderland, and the knitted part makes it wearable.  I love it, so much.

DSCF1514a

I had all those leftovers. 

I could not wait to start.

I can not find the pattern.

Now, nothing is impossible in this world, but short of hitting up a few yarn shops in Oslo and then learning to read Norwegian, I have had to admit defeat. 

DSCF1508a

So, I decided I’m just gonna wing it. I’m going to make something similar to the original, something (heavily) inspired by the original, something mostly belonging to Sidsel in design, but made with what I already have lying around the place and with my own ingenuity.  Believe me, I’d rather not.  But I am in the grips of this thing, people!  I’m in the throes!

DSCF1517a

I’ve looked everywhere I can look, and in the meantime, I optimistically made 160 mini granny squares, which are blocked now, and clamoring to be made into the bodice of a sweater.  So here is where I step off the trail and turn into the woods. 

DSCF1491a

Sidsel, if you’re out there, thank you for the inspiration.  Gulp.  My first-ever crocheted sweater.  I have no idea what I’m doing.  Here goes!

32 comments:

  1. I love your sense of adventure and spirit. You can do it, have no fear. Where there is a will, there is a way. Just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just from reading your blog, I have complete confidence that you will succeed. You can do it! :) You are awesome! I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm sure the finished garment will be fantastic and I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a lot of fun. I just checked out the designer's info on Ravelry and it is written in English. She also lists email addresses for contacting her. She would probably be happy to provide you with the pattern in English if you approached her.
    xXx Helen
    PS. I am also one to jump in and try something out if I can't find a pattern for what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent her an inquiry, waiting for reply. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! Go for it. It'll be amazing when it's done. Love the colour combos, really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're going to do fine! I'm loving all these bright, happy colors that you're using!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you feel it, you can do it!!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so amazed by you kristen, you are a constant source of inspiration! and yes, you WILL do it! look at all those cute little granny squares!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that coat! and really love your description of where wearing this coat takes you (in your imagination!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristen - you could try emailing Sidsel at sidsel.hoivik@getmail.no
    she might be able to help you out with a copy of her pattern!!! Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. you will be able to do it, I have complete faith in you!
    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely understand the compulsion - hope the pattern comes through and if not, trust your own judgement and skill. Reading through your blog posts there's overwhelming evidence that the result will be fabulous! I love garments that sort of carry a persona or aura of lifestyle with them - perhaps all clothes do. Enjoy the creative journey - fairy tale coat here you come! E x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you are doing! Free styling trail blazer. We will be here with you all the way. Can't wait to see yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You, my dear, can do anything! I have no doubt you will create something wearable and absolutely gorgeous! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors and think it will LOOK GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you succeed and looking forward to seeing the end result. The colors in your little squares are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look forward to watching this grow! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my... Kristen, I'm sure it will be utterly fabulous and you'll do a terrific job of putting it together. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure you will a beautiful sweater! The squares are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with your sweater! I hope you have fun putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've got the faeries on your side. I can't wait to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful sweater and beautiful small squares... Squares are one thing to wing but the rest??? You are a brave woman and I am following this project of yours with excitement... Keep me posted on your progress. And I am Swedish... I might be able to translate parts of the pattern if you get stuck. Give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to see it. Your blog truly inspires me and if you can crochet like you knit it will be easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://sidsel-j-hoivik.webnode.com/album/photogallery/#forside-konfekt-sommer-2011-jpg


    omg this sweater? It's beautiful and your squares are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are once again blowing me away with your skills, this is the sweater you pick for your first crochet sweater? Really? I am in awe!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're Compelled to have this magnificent piece aside there is always the option to write the designer, perhaps the pattern is translatable! But truer still are Your Magical powers and I Know whatever you come up with will be grander still!!! SO looking forward to seeing the Ta Da moment! I also saw this on ravelry and was pondering the piece...... magical minds think alike....
    perhaps my grandmother's pink needles will work a spell of their own! (Now she was truly gifted with magic!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been in touch, yes, but the pattern is, as of now, only available in print and only in Norwegian. Alas. Time to get fancy! :)

      Delete
  27. This is an awesome use of granny squares in a garment! I've never seen them so well-executed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are SO funny!! I don't for a minute doubt that you can execute this sweater with ease. Just be careful of the placement of those granny squares ... particularly two out front (if you know what I mean!). :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete