Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fairy Tale Jacket

DSCF1619a

After waiting three days for the rain to clear so I could photograph this sweater (what, is this Seattle or something?) I gave up and trudged helplessly into the gloom with the camera.  Such flat, gray light.  Which, it turns out, is adding considerably to the already ethereal quality of the project.  It is sucking all the color out of things, but in rather a dreamy way, and I’m a little bit okay with it.

The decision to re-knit the mistake sleeve was the right one.  It hurt at the time, oh yes, but I’m glad I did it.  This design is such an elaborate confection of elements, such a riot of things to do and stuff to look at.   From a technical standpoint, there’s a bit of a challenge in the contrast between the two fabrics.  The knitted parts are very soft and drape-y, and the crocheted bodice feels, by comparison, a bit dense and thick, so making the sleeves fit nicely in the armholes required some thinking.  In the original, Sidsel joined the squares as she went, which goes a long way toward ameliorating the typically firm qualities of granny square crochet.  I decided to join the squares by crocheting them together on the wrong side, and the result is quite sturdy, but I think it all drapes together very nicely.  It’s in the blocking, friends.  It’s all in the blocking.   

DSCF1617a

Goodness, I love it.  It’s like Sgt. Pepper Joins the Circus.  Or Sgt. Pepper Gets a Package From His Mom.   Or Sgt. Pepper Falls Asleep in a Room Full of Industrious Elves.   (There’s a collection of short stories in here somewhere.  A future children’s holiday classic, I’m pretty sure.  Feel free to take this idea and run with it.) 

As I’ve said before, this pattern is only available in Norwegian, and I think only in hard/print copy as well, which is why I undertook the challenge of trying to adapt it on my own.  I simply applied what knowledge I have accumulated in the course of my lifetime of knitting and crocheting, and built a garment based on Sidsel’s brilliant and beautiful design.  She tells me she hopes to include this pattern in a forthcoming book, which will (fingers crossed) possibly be published in English.  Let us all hope very hard!  If it happens to be published in a way I can get my hands on, I can tell you my closet will shortly thereafter be bursting with color.  Have a look at her website, even if you can’t read Norwegian.  So inspiring. 

DSCF1612a

Doesn’t that just look fantastic?  This should be the cover shot for my imaginary upcoming album “a Cozy Northwoods Christmas” with eight-piece all-elf backing band, and featuring me on the autoharp.  Songs include “It Must Be Snowing Somewhere” and “Is That the Last Piece of Kuchen?”  (Who am I kidding?  I can’t stop knitting long enough to do that.  You should, though.  Another free idea, if you want it.)

DSCF1610a

I used Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool in Oatmeal (this comes in huge skeins, and I used two) on a US 7 needle for the knitted parts, and worsted weight scraps in a whole bunch of unidentifiable colors and yarns on a US F hook for the crocheted parts. 

I’d like to wear this over a knee-length jersey dress, with cabled tights and red clogs. That is so cozy.

53 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and beautiful work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. You are a machine. Love it. Even if the pattern comes out in English, I would still get you to make it. So gorgeous you clever chickie. Love it. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ITs gorgeous. Just stunning like all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not loving grannie squares you have changed that for me. This is gorgeous! When it gets published I will be making this sweater. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! I don't know which I like better, the beautiful piece of wearable art you've created here, or your write-up about it. I laughed all the way through :D You need to wear your woodland fantasy sweater to a live performance of the Nutcracker or something now. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!


    nice new look for your blog as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. APPLAUSE!!!!! this jacket is fantastic!!!! such a good work, my dear!!!!
    xxxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that has come to together beautifully. Maybe one day I will be brave enough to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it - you clever gal! It's fabulous.

    Leah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Love the pom poms too!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is just amazing and I am so excited to see it finished! you are so clever :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would also look lovely and wintery with some stylish leather boots. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I'm so impressed! It's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristen, it's absolutely gorgeous and straight out of a fairy tale. I love your idea of the cable tights and red clogs with it - everyone always wears clogs in fairy tales! I think it would also be wonderful with a longer full skirt, boots and a flamboyant furry hat or headband - fairy godmother all over it! (wand optional!) enjoy it however you wear it - it's just fabulous! E x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely divine! Love the Sgt Pepper reference.
    The colour combination in the top half I can only dribble at! I salute your skill and artistry.
    Best wishes
    Karen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is absolutely gorgeous! Great to have something that you have made yourself and are unlikely to see anyone else wearing!
    A true work of art.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful, I love the contrast between the crochet and the knitting. It looks lovely and warm.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You must love it even more for the fact you had to kind of make the pattern up as you went along. I hope you feel a great sense of achievement!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is wonderful! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's absolutely fantabulous!!!!!! :) I'm so jealous. Can you make me one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That is gorgeous! I love the way the crocheted and knitted sections seem to flow together. I hope you enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a feast for the eyes!! I love the colors and the detail. Now that the sleeves are done, I see why you re-knit them. The eyelet? stitch adds so much. I especially like the granny square cuffs and the edging all down the front. Plus, it fits you perfectly!
    Nice header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That first picture had me thinking Sgt. Pepper, too. It is absolutely fantastically beautiful!! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Knitting Idol,just when I thought you could not outdo yourself you have. This sweater is amazing, absolutely stunning. Gorgeous, perfect, delicious...what else can I say?
    Oh yeah, wonderful!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazingly Beautiful! You must feel so fulfilled!!!! This was quite the undertaking!!!
    LOVE the reference to Sgt Pepper.... My take was Sgt Pepper joins Ravelry LOL......
    Kudos to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks absolutely gorgeous Kristen! So much hard work.Well done!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so pleased for you, this has been an awsome project, I have really enjoyed your journalling and comentary on it here in the UK. What next??!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this sweater! I pinned this same sweater some time ago with the hopes of trying to create a version at some point. Seeing yours makes me want to start now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is realy gorgeous, very beautiful. You can be proud about your achievement.Groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my. I'm speechless. So beautiful. I've already blogged about it because you are too talented for one person! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a stunning project - I am going to take a look at Sidsel's website. Some of my ancestors were Norwegian - pity they are not still with us or they could translate!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for sharing the process as well as the result of your efforts, Kristen. It is unanimous...your work is wonderful :) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful You saw...you conquered. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This jacket is phenomenal. I love the colours you chose... I turned out beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obviously that should have been it!!!

      Delete
  35. Holy Moley....it's GORGEOUS! And you are right...it's soooo Sgt. Pepper! I LOVE it. Congrats on an awesome completion!
    Smiles, DianeM <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is STUNNING! I love it! I want the pattern to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. SEN-SATIONAL Kristen!! Looks fabulous on you : -)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Kristen

    Everyone must have told you this....stunning,sensational,wonderful,fabulous and.....and ... I want!

    Great combination of colours and looks great on you too.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen! I seriously WANT one. You are tremendously talented.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! Nice!!!
    That's my jacket and my design!
    I like the colours that you have picked for your jacket. ;-)
    This jacket is one among 50 patterns in my new book " Lekre masker og lekne sting" which will be released the 16. of april 2013.
    Only in norwegian by now, but I hope for translations eventually. In the link you can have a sneakpeak in 22 of the 230 pages of the book.
    http://www.gyldendal.no/Fakta-og-dokumentar/Hobby/Lekre-masker-og-lekne-sting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sidsel--I am humbled before your beautiful design sensibility. And wonderful news about the book, too. I'll be buying a copy in Norwegian, just for the photos. Gorgeous! :)

      Delete
  41. Yes, hope you do. ;-)
    Even if you do not undrestand the word you might enjoy the wonderful photos shot by the gifted Anne Helene Gjelstad.
    Thank you for your kind words.I,m very happy that you like my designs. ;-)
    Best regards from Sidsel

    ReplyDelete
  42. WAOUHHHH !
    It's so nice, so great and finally so simply but a marvellous creation.
    I hope, I could do it myself, one day ...
    Thank you so lot.

    ReplyDelete