Friday, December 28, 2012

Tidying

DSCF1765a

Post-holiday, my thoughts turn to de-cluttering.  We are somewhat short on square footage here at the Cozy Things cottage, and in direct proportion to the number of college students in residence, the stuff, especially the bathroom counter stuff, begins to multiply. 

What do I do?  I fight back with knitting! 

DSCF1766a

These are the Stripey Washbags (which sounds like an inventive insult along the lines of so’s your old man, and which is also a good name for a band—the Hilton/Bloomington is pleased to welcome The Stripey Washbags!) from this book.  You hang them on the doorknob and then fill them with all the loose stuff that gathers around the sink; brushes and hair ties and contact lens solution and toothpaste.  Brilliant!  

DSCF1761a

Hopefully, these will help keep us from turning completely feral.  The end of the year is so indolent around here, with cookies for breakfast and too much tv, and there’s always someone scavenging in the kitchen, and I got so lazy yesterday that I forgot about a dentist appointment (Kath, I’m so sorry!  I will reschedule!) and thank goodness that always ends in a burst of renewed motivation to Get It Together for the new year.  Starting now, with washbags.  Tidy that bathroom. 

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that is brilliant! And they look nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same thing going on here- so many adults in the house!!
    I get my sewing room back today, but my daughter goes home, so it's kind of "Yay!", but at the same time "Waaa", I'm going to miss her.
    These bags are cute and functional. Really good idea.
    My kids would add "YOUR MOM makes stripey washbags" to the list of inventive insults, which really isn't an insult is it? Have a great time tidying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such a great idea, it's so weird as I have been sorting out my crafting and knitting books and was looking through my copy of this Jane Brocket book for inspiration this afternoon xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....I LIKE this idea! I think I'll be sewing mine tho. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe... maybe I should try this with my hubby and my son.
    A very Happy New Year to you, dear Kristen and your family.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet idea! I understand the clutter of those young adults. As an empty nester it's nice not to clean the clutter anymore. Not that I don't make my own. It's just a lot easier. Have a Safe and Happy New Year. Blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds brilliant! I almost wish I had more people around, just to try this out with...isn't that bonkers! xoxo, oh and Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ... That is a wonderful idea! I may have to make one for my daughter now ...
    Happy New Year to you kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are darling! My grown daughter lives with us, and she is VERY, VERY messy! I wonder if this would work for her? Nah, I doubt it.
    Happy New Year!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish a few knitted bags would help to sort things out around here. Sadly it will take much, much more than that. :) Best wishes to you and yours for the new year. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great plan! I'm a crocheter and in 2013 am taking up knitting. I credit (blame?) your blog for this; you make such amazing things and they are so beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Except maybe a hook added to the back of the door would be better, things dangling from the door handle DRIVE US NUTS!

    Lovely bags but. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hung a hook on the side of the counter. Out of sight, out of mind! :)

      Delete
  13. I need two super-sized stripey washbags for my daughters' bedroom, approximately the size of two small elephants would do the trick nicely I think.

    ReplyDelete