Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When you get to Craftyville, turn left

DSCF1698a

My thrifting pal Michelle and I saw this project in Country Living magazine, or maybe it was Country Homes and Interiors; I can’t remember which, and we both thought it was completely bonkers but also a little bit awesome.  It is—are you ready for this?—a Christmas tree made out of lampshades. 

DSCF1696a

Right?  It leans way more toward crazy if you add all the ball fringe and other doodads you know you have lying around the place:

DSCF1681a

Man, that makes me laugh so hard!  It looks like a wedding cake I decorated with my feet.  Honestly, I can’t decide whether this thing is a complete failure, or whether I love it with my whole being.  It is totally insane.  Ridiculous.  It is lampshade skeletons covered with junk.  And yet, it is making me smile. 

DSCF1684

As if it isn’t way too crafty around here already, now I have this thing, which is smothered in furbelows, squatting on the table beside the front door.  Goodness.  But I laugh my head off every time I look at it, which is not for nothing, you know what I mean? 

Because I am who I am, I already had some thrift store lampshades about the place, and the boy was more than happy to peel the yucky fabric off them to reveal their wire skeletons for me.  I wrapped fabric scraps around the bones, tying on a new piece when I came to the end, and when all the metal was covered, I stacked them up.  Then I decked it out in every kind of scrap trim I could scrounge and fell over laughing at myself.  It felt pretty good. 

15 comments:

  1. Hahaha great crafty tree. I like it! Throw some twinkle lights on there too! I bet it was fun to make : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kristen...I don't know what to say...."I think I've seen it all" won't ever cover it since I am a regular visitor to your lovely blog. I am soooo sure of that! HaHa! You crack me up!!! And... I needed to be cracked up!!!! Thank you, you're lil nut. :)
    Happy Holidays To You!
    penny x
    p.s. Did "The Boy" keep a straight face while assisting?
    He's use to your antics huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you followed a post called "Solace" with one of absolute insanity! That "tree" is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am smiling with you, Kristen...Merry Christmas! xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post and a very cheerful Christmas tree:) Have a happy day!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's what Chrsitmas is all about isn't ? Having fun and spending time together ... You got it all right! Have a great holiday Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Very cheery and pretty! And what a great idea!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a lovely, quirky tree. And your little fabric covered frame can be used to clip photos and other such mementoes on after the holidays. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab Kristen!!! I think you should change your blog by-line to "Kristen makes bonkers things at home"!!!! Such fun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny... I saw something similar done with lamp shades. They left the covers on made a center pole using a dowel with a wooden criss cross bottom. Started with the larger shade up. They spray painted them green then added ornaments cut out of different shapes, with color paint chips cards. Stockings, stars, bells, etc. They taped them on, I thought it was clever for a small space. Oh, and they added ball trim in green around the bottom of each shade.

    I love your blog you're so creative...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best is when family and friends see it and think you've really gone bonkers :) Hahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOORR:

    http://cheezburger.com/6818933248

    or

    http://failblog.cheezburger.com/tag/christmas-tree/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes!!! So many ways to ugh up a tree, so little time. :D

      Delete
  13. You're right on trend Kristen - i have seen quite a few lampshade trees in mags and blogs here in the UK too.
    Yours looks fun and quirky and pretty!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete