Sunday, January 20, 2013

Atelier cardigan

DSCF1844a

The wind is pounding against the house, rattling anything that’s loose and probably loosening a few new things, too, but the sun is shining, and there are just a few puffy-looking fair weather clouds.  It sounds like we’re having a terrible storm, but the sky is blue as an iris in summer.  Weird.  Cold weather is coming. 

DSCF1846a

I finished Atelier, another Heidi Kirrmaier design.  I really had to have faith with this sweater—those mysterious garter stitch bands at the front were a little confounding, and I was convinced, based on past experience, that I would run out of yarn.  But I didn’t, at least not until I got to the pocket linings, which I had almost sort of decided to do in a different color anyway, so running out there was not a big deal.

DSCF1852a

I did use every single inch of six skeins of Silky Wool, which both lasts forever and also runs out on me, kind of like when you buy 32 rolls of toilet paper at the bulk store and then you’re amazed when you suddenly find you’ve used the last of it?  Like you thought this was so much toilet paper, just such a gigantic quantity, that you would have enough toilet paper to last your whole life?  Silky Wool is like that for me. 

DSCF1856a

This knit took a long time, and by the end, I was pretty ready to be done with it.  I had convinced myself it wasn’t going to fit (which of course it does, Heidi is a genius) and that the yarn would fail me (it didn’t) and that I don’t really need any more gray sweaters (that one is true) but after a nice bath and a nap in front of the fire (the sweater, not me) it has a wonderful drape, fits beautifully, and is soft and warm.  Just what you want from a little cardigan like this.  Ahhh, success. 

DSCF1855a 

DSCF1845a

How do you like my new painting?  It is the work of my very talented daughter, and is called “Not a Lobster”.  Obviously. 

23 comments:

  1. both the cardigan and the painting are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater came out fantastic!

    And your daughter is quite the talented painter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, how quick you are at this!! I'm amazed every time - you don't post for a few days, and then when you do it's an entirely finished project! Amazing! It looks ever so comfy, and may benefit from a nap in front of the fire a well!!
    And the painting is lovely :) Very talented indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous cardigan!! I am adding it to my Rav queue immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cardigan. It is enough to make me want to pick up my needles again (if I could remember where they are)! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gray being my very favorite color makes this beautiful sweater even better, wow it is gorgeous, and so is that painting by your very talented daughter,
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous cardigan! And it's definitely not a lobster! ;) Your daughter is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen I love this cardigan. I see you've added extra length in the sleeves, which is what I will do since I'm tall. Well, eventually when I learn how to knit this will be one of my first intermediate projects. Seeing all the beautiful things you have made has inspired me to start crocheting again and to learn how to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Color me green with envy. Not over your lovely cardigan--too hot here most of the year for such a fabulous piece--but that the cardigan had a warm bath and a nap in front of the fire! I miss napping in front of the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love your cardigan - and you have chosen my favourite colour X

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is truly gorgeous kristen, it looks like one that will get a lot of wear. your daughter is taking after her super talented mother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice cardigan!!!
    Love your witty comments, too!!!
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cardigan. I'm trying one of her patterns also, but have put it aside because I was so frustrated ( I couldn't figure it out for a while) ... Maybe will pick it up again now that I saw yours done... Motivation is such a powerful thing ... :) thanks again for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever! I like the colour you used!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love gray it just goes with everything. You can't go wrong. Your cardigan is gorgeous. I am always in aw of how fast your complete projects. I so enjoy visiting your blog it keeps me inspired to continue working with yarn. Thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cardigan ... it drapes so nicely ... love the detail around the shoulders. The sort of elegant cardigan to wear in front of the fire with a nice Irish coffee in a tall pretty china mug :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your choice of the grey and now thinking maybe I need to make a second one of these in a solid color -- I used Misti Alpaca's Handpainted Silk/Cotton first time around and I LOVE it, but now seeing your solid version I really love that too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful finish. Lovin' the stripes inside those pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely elegant cardi, and i do so love grey as it goes with everything!
    The subtle pink stripes in the pocket add a quirky touch to it - just perfect.
    Well done Kristen!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. How adorable!! I Love this! Now I'm sure: I really want to learn knitting! Liefs Else X

    ReplyDelete