Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Homemade Handwarmers

DSCF1793a

Walking in the early morning is one of life’s most delicious things.  When I can drag myself out of my bed, that is, because people?  I am what you call a sleeper.  I love my comforts, and once I am all warm and snuggly somewhere, you can’t pry me out of there with anything less than a chocolate-covered millionaire.  I had to go out this morning, though, and whoa, it was so nice.  Our snow is completely gone, but the sun was shining, and the air was snapping with teeny snowflakes, and now and then I’d catch the faintest scent of wood smoke from someone’s stove.  I don’t know if there’s a nicer smell anywhere than wood smoke.  Maybe vanilla is nicer.  Or frangipani.  Whatever, anyway.  I was all warm in my wool coat and was clipping along the roadside feeling all fresh and brisk and rosy-cheeked, and my hands in my new mittens were so snug because, check it out, I had these little doodads in there next to my hands.

DSCF1794a 

Why didn’t I think of this sooner????  I can only shake my head in wonder.  Such a brilliant little idea, these handmade handwarmers.  I spotted them in a magazine somewhere, who knows which one—Country Homes and Interiors, maybe?  I don’t know—and just went Well, yeah!   Having warm hands makes such a difference.  Huge, really.  (Feet too, that’s next.) 

To make these, all you do is get your husband to sacrifice a wool jacket that doesn’t fit him anyway (or get one at the thrift store) and cut out four circles.  To make mine, I traced around the rim of a big mug.  Sew two circles together with right sides facing, leaving a 2” opening.  Clip the seam and turn it right side out.  Fill with about 1/4 cup ceramic beans (if you have them) or real dried beans (if, like me, you don’t) and then stitch up the opening.  Work a blanket stitch all the way around the edge for decorative fanciness, and then make another one for the other hand.  Heat them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.  (Don’t wander away from the microwave while they heat up.  You don’t want it to start smoking or worse…)  Then tuck one into each mitten and head confidently out into the weather.  They’ll stay nice and warm for about 30 minutes.  Yum. 

25 comments:

  1. Now why didn't someone think of this sooner!
    Great idea! I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got an old fleece blanket that has a few holes in and I've been thinking what I can do with it. I might just try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Sometime back in the 1960s my girl scout troop did a wilderness camping trip at West Point in November and we got a foot of snow that weekend. I had my Dad's butane hand warmer that he used during the Korean War and it kept my hands toasty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received a gift a few years ago with a neck warmer full of I don't know what (something that smells "soupy" when heated), same deal as your little warmers here. I've used it a lot (despite that warm soupy smell), and I'm sure you'll be using these for a long time too :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful idea! My daughter made neck-warmers to put in the microwave. I believe she used corn. They are so nice for sore muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! It's been rather frigid here lately, these would come in handy! Erm, no pun intended, I didn't even realize till I typed it out. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea Kristen! Some for the feet and life would be perfect. :) I too love a warm, comfy bed and find it very hard to crawl out of there in the morning. Maybe a chocolate covered millionaire would work for me. Where would I find one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, this is perfect for winter! It is so hard to face the world when your hands and feet are cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'm with you Kristen! Once I get nice and cozy getting me up is another thing. I'm like a bear in a cave for the winter. Get me up in the spring. I just love visiting your blog such wonderful ideas. You're so super cool creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You clever girl! I have a sak I made for heating in the microwave to ease aches and warm cold feet, whichever is needed. I buy a big sak of corn at the feed store, and that is what I use. Heat for 3 minutes, and the bag stays hot for hours on end. I like to put one at the foot of my bed when it is really cold!!
    Love your wooly hand warmers!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Harris Tweed Handwarmers - how very decadent! Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are awesome! if our freeze keeps up i may need to finally buy a microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! Seems so easy too. Laughing at the idea of taking one of dh's jackets - yes charity shop a better bet for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh clever! I want to do that.
    * Counting the 5 months to our 6 days of winter *

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea, unfortunately I don't have a microwave! but my neighbour does - maybe if I made her a pair she wouldn't mind my cold morning visits!! (she is my m.i.l. after all)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are the prettiest handwarmers I've ever seen. I LOVE the smell of woodsmoke. A friend gave me some incense from New Mexico that has that smell. Makes me think of a crisp fall day! Warm and cozy wishes to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been making large versions of these to put by my feet in bed; I don't know why it never occurred to me to make them hand-sized!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snappy cold winter walks, woodsmoke, mittens, clever handmade handwarmers and a chocolate covered millionaire. Where do I sign up? Love your pretty little blue scissors too : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are such a good idea! Love the fabric too.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  20. So clever, I was just wondering how to make these. Too easy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I make "rice bags"...so I guess rice would work for these hand warmers too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous idea ... I have some of the gel variety but these are perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi again. Just completed my first pair of hand warmers and am itching to get started on another.
    If you would like to have a look I've just blogged about it.
    Thanks for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wheat works really well. You can also add a few lavender flowers which give a lovely scent

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well...how clever!! Just might be an idea for my 2013 "Christmas Box".

    ReplyDelete