Saturday, February 23, 2013

Interminable Gingham-Effect Scarf

DSCF1863a

Omigosh, I’ve been working on this scarf forEVer.  It was in progress so long that I sort of forgot about it, and when it did wander across my mind, I doubted whether I was going to like it well enough to keep working on it.  It hunkered there in the work basket almost a year.  A year! 

DSCF1872a

The problem is that the yarn is so utterly delicious that it hardly seemed worthy of any project at all, and the more I looked at it and cuddled it, the more I didn’t like the scarf, just for using it up.  This is two skeins of Madelinetosh DK in the color “Faded Chinos”, worked on US 5 needles.  Oh my goodness, the Madtosh.  So gorgeous. 

DSCF1867a

I saw the gingham-effect stitch pattern in this book, cast on with the Tosh, and was enchanted—for about ten minutes.  After which time I had to keep reminding myself it was there.   I took it with me to appointments; anywhere I knew I’d be a captive to it, just to make some progress.  (That’s how this happened, incidentally.) 

DSCF1874a

As it grew, it started to pull in like ribbing, and I worried, so I steam-blocked the first half, just to make sure.  I almost ripped it out, so many times.

DSCF1864a

When finally it was long enough, I bound it off, worked a crochet crab stitch around the edge, and then blocked it again, this time by soaking it in the sink and then spreading it out on the floor.  I glared at it as it dried, trying to make it stay flat with the force of my will.  It still pulls in a little.  Yargh.

DSCF1865a

Look at that stitch definition!  Swoon.  I am mad for the Madelinetosh.  It’s the best thing about this project.

24 comments:

  1. It is quite lovely, actually, kind of plaid and yet not, because it's all the same colour. But delicious, indeed. It looks like it would be super warm, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is yummy! I love the color!!
    xo kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Golly, that is Gorgeous!!!! I'm going to put it in my Ravelry que. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color is gorgeous! Love how the stitches stand out, but subtly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is gorgeous, and Mad tosh yarn is the best, so yummy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through pinterest and I am in love. I could spend all day looking at the beautiful things you make. You choose such fantastic colors. The scarf looks great, even if it was a bit of a pain to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so cute, I like the color as well :)

    Lluisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's a great scarf! The colour you used goes really well with the pattern, it's like the 'deep' pockets of the gingham have a deeper colour as well!

    Love, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scarf, especially the yarn and the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's so l♥vely!! Good that you hold out :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pattern the stitches created! I don't knit, but looking at this makes me yearn to get on with it and stop thinking about it! Beautiful color! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very pretty :-) Good for you for sticking with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore the pattern - I'm thinking it would be great on cushions. So glad you finished it the yarn is so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the stitch definition. Have you got enough of that brilliant yarn to do a few more rounds of crochet - that often stop the edges curling or are you done with it?!! I have had a similar scarf issue and solved it with the crochet border.

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pattern and love the colour, x

    ReplyDelete
  16. that scarf is stunning. the yarn is lovely, but it's the pattern that really makes it. I think you chose well

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's beautiful! And I love all your different ways of wearing it!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to start off by saying, I could sit and stare at your header for hours. Love it!
    Brilliant yarn and patterning combination. Madtosh has a way with holding up and detailing great patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite yarn in the whole wide world of yarnyness.
    That is one beautiful scarf. The color is delicious. Aren't you glad you stuck with it?
    Have a great week!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  20. it is beautiful kristen, the color is just gorgeous, warm and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I adore the butterscotchy colour,and the simple pattern - just gorgeous Kristen!

    ReplyDelete