Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Folkloric embroidered earrings

 

DSCF2109a

I have made something lovely and tiny.  These were unexpectedly difficult—not even the improvised cross-stitch pattern on microscopic 30-count fabric, but the affixing of the stitched fabric to the gold filigree jewelry finding in a non-messy way.  I settled on hot glue and wrapping the fabric around teensy circles of card stock.  That was tricky, with glue strings and burned fingers abundant, and my eventual success was somewhat marred by frustration, but so worth it in the end.  Oh, but they’re so pretty!  And I think my old eyes have mostly recovered—those stitches are nothing but specks, and the finished size is hardly larger than the eraser on a pencil.  If I were going to attempt this again, I’d find a way to use a magnifying glass.  Inspiration came from this artist.  My goodness, go and have a look.  So beautiful.  

The filigree findings are from snapcrafty, the gold earring wires are from my local bead shop, and the cross-stitch fabric was gifted to me by a very generous and anonymous soul—thank you out there, whoever you are.  When I wore these today, I got a lot of comments that went along the lines of “Did you make those?  What the heeeeck...”

25 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful and so feminine! I would have to use a magnifying glass to make something that small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastically cute, Kristen! Such a pretty colour combination too. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be very impressed also at seeing them. Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO pretty! i am imagining them on you, so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are adorable! such a neat work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are absolutely beautiful

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are pretty. What workmanship. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and chic, I admire you for your skills. Beautiful earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so lovely! How clever and creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got those comments because they are so unique and lovely, they have to be made by you. I love them, but I bet you need stronger readers now.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your kind words about my shop! And your earrings look so lovely!

    xo
    Natalka

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely are they! Well worth the effort (says me who just gets to gaze at the finished product and has not had to suffer the journey!) x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! They don't look that small in the photos. I can't imagine cross-stitching on such tiny fabric. Heck, I can barely see the 14 count anymore so I've moved up to 11 count aida ... or is it 8 count? :) Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh!!!! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so pretty & delicate! What a brilliant use of a teeny tiny scrap of fabric and a bit of floss ;) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so elegant and feminine, well I guess the latter is obvious... Anyway I love them and sorry it took burned fingers to complete but oh so worth it, x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome post!
    Those ear rings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristen I absolutely love these and have just made my own version. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete