Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hand/arm warmers

DSCF2086a

I have been lured in by the promises of a beautiful photograph, and have come to believe that if I make these ethereal crocheted arm/handwarmer things, I will become ethereal, too.  In reality, I am the furthest from ethereal you can imagine, so I guess I’m really laying a lot of pressure on this project.  In my helpless pursuit of this goal, I have broken a cardinal rule—I am using thrifted yarn that has clearly and obviously been infested at some point by moth larvae. 

[pause to allow for exclamations of horror]

I know.  I am bad.  I will most likely be paying a stiff price for this transgression at some point, and I will have no one to blame but myself. 

The yarn is some kind of antique shetland in DK weight in the most gorgeous stormy gray, and it was only a dollar, and while there has been (so far) no actual insect spawn, there is a lot—a ridiculous amount—of breakage.  I have had to spit-join about ten times so far.  (Do you know about spit-joining?  If you hate knots and ends, you should know about spit-joining.  More on spit-joining later; it’s so handy.  I’ll tell you all about it sometime.)

DSCF2085a

Come on, look at that gorgeous shetlandy halo.  Doesn’t it just make you want to wear a beautiful pearly gray dress with a tulle underskirt and with maybe a little beaded handbag, an updo, and a corsage from a boy?  I just had to take my chances. 

The yarn did spend a few days in the freezer first, and now the ice cream probably tastes like wool (totally worth it) and I don’t actually know if that trick works or not because I’ve never had a moth infestation before, or maybe that’s why I’ve never had a moth infestation.  It certainly isn’t because I’m super careful about what wools I bring into the house.  Probably I’ve just gotten lucky, and maybe I’ll keep getting lucky, and I’ll keep on spit-joining this as I go, and will finish up these lovely things just in time for the prom. 

23 comments:

  1. Do you mind sharing: What book is that from? (I love the stitch pattern!) Thanks! Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin

    I believe (not a 100% sure but have heard) a soak in some lavender scented soap or rinse might also take care of moth problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How brave! The story of the moths add to the drama - will you become ethereal or will the moths emerge and fly away with your handwarmers?! Whichever happens they are looking good -lovely colour x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I've ever reacted to your blog with an Urgh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now these are going to be very pretty, totally worth the moth thingy. The color is perfect.
    Of course that book is awesome. I really want to make the stripe pillows, the clutch (did you see how she put in that zipper?)and the textured blanket.
    Have fun at the prom : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful pattern - and the colour is lovely too!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pattern and colour but, ewww, my hands are feeling itchy just thinking about the larvae! And please tell me you threw away the ice cream! Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know the name of the pattern book as well? They look like they will be wonderful when they are finished regardless of the moth problem. Good luck and thank you for the inspiration!! Melody A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you should mention 'Shetland' - we've just had a crime drama on tv by the same name. It was quite good.
    Nobody loves moths - hope you've kept yours at bay. Gorgeous handwarmers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not kidding...from the beginning of this post, I was thinking about the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married" because of the beautiful gray color. Kathleen Turner wore a dress that color in the part of the movie where it's the early sixties. Then you said that part about a dress and I felt like you were reading my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't get past the moth larvae bit ... hmmm. Think about this ... if moth larvae survives outdoors through the winter months to burst forth in spring ... maybe the freezer isn't, you know ... um. I killed a tiny moth in the house yesterday. I've turned into my mother who, in an attempt to protect hundreds of dollars worth of wool, would spring like a coiled snake from her chair to clap her hands together with quickening tempo and irregular ups and downs until she looked at her open palms at the dusty little speck with a satisfied smirk ... got 'im. The ethereal look is most becoming, and the stormy yarn suits it perfectly. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh so funny, i just found some vintage scottish wool for a dollar too. no moths yet, crossing fingers. and yes! i always (when i can) spit splice. your gloves are SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a great writer!!! And a true knitter/crocheter I should say. You capture the reader ( me in this case) and make us feel as if we were inside your story...and yes ... Only a true knitter/crocheter would go to the extent of spit joining ten times just to see their beloved garment finished ...
    Can't wait to see the end result :) I bet it will be just gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, at 50 I thought I knew it all....moth larvae from vintage yarn. Never thought about that one. Makes sense though. Funny, as I buy vintage bed sheets all the time, leave them in a plastic bag for two days, and then wash in hot water. Oh gross, now I am wondering about that yarn I purchased from the thrift store. I may start spring cleaning all over again;-)

    I am looking forward to the finished gloves.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! I DO want to wear EXACTLY what you described in this post, my dear!!! :-)
    Don't forget to do a ta-daaaaaa of the finished gloves.....´
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha!! I love your blog - and you crack me up! Can't wait to see the FO's :D
    Hippiejo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at these funky scarf/necklaces, they would look great in grey with those gloves.
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/chain-loop-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is sooooo stunning!!!!! I just love, love, love grey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just spent 1 and 1/2 hours in the wee morning (yes, menopausal 4:30am wake up) perusing your blog and I am in love! Love your blog, love your witty writing style, LOVE your crochet and quilt projects!! I just discovered your blog through Lucy's attic, happy day! Wish I could be best friends with all of you wonderful women I have met in blogland... if only!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jules! I always feel the lovely community of all you fellow crafters is the best part of blogging. :)

      Delete
  20. they look really lovely :) - does anyone know the book that the pattern is out of? please :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't mean to drop the ball on this--it's from "Simple Crocheting" by Erika Knight. More info to come when I get the second one done--so much spit-joining, my lips are drying out...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete