Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Striped Scarf, revisited

DSCF2124a

Another scarf is off my needles, and warm weather is nowhere in sight (oh, you there with your blooming plum trees and your daffodils, know that I am very envious.  Very.)  I don’t know why I expect spring to come in March.  This is New York.  I am not new here.  But I am ever hopeful. 

Along the lines of this, I decided this time to just choose two skeins of sock yarn (about 350 yards each) that seemed happy together and then knit them until they were gone.  A peruse through the stash produced a skein of Araucania Ranco in the lyrically named Color 107, which is a hand dyed semi-solid in indigo, and Cascade Heritage Sock something or other in pearl gray—the ball band is gone, so I don’t know what fancy number name they gave that one.  I used US 4 needles, and knit it back and forth on 80 stitches, changing yarns every two rows and carrying the yarn not in use up the side. It took awhile, because other projects beckoned, but eventually, I noticed that there was this much yarn left:

DSCF2130a

So I bound off in the gray, and sewed up the ends and the long side.

I tried really hard to make sure my chin looked good in the photos.  There were a lot of fails. 

DSCF2111a

Maybe if I tuck it under the scarf?  Better.

DSCF2125a 

I am often asked whether one could knit this in the round, and the short answer is yes indeedy, you sure could do that.  You would have to contend with a few extra issues, though--there would be some row counting, which seems like it would be relatively easy, what with it being a two-row repeat, but I think I have demonstrated how easily I am distracted.  Knitting back and forth lets me do a knit row and a purl row, and that reminds me to change colors, a good enough reminder even if I am deep in concentration elsewhere.

DSCF2090a

You’d also have to deal with the jog, which is what happens when you’re knitting in the round and you change colors.  The stripes don’t line up.  (I know, there’s the jogless jog, but that’s also something to have to pay attention to.  Backing and forthing is utterly mindless for me, which is the whole reason I choose a project like this.  (I’d actually kind of miss the purling, too, if I am being totally straight with you.  I’m not one of those girls who hates to purl, though I know they are many.) 

DSCF2091a

Worst of all, you’d have to spend a few minutes reconciling the length of your circular needle with the number of stitches you were hoping to cast on.  Not necessarily easy, especially if you’re wanting one of those long skinny scarves, since the minimum number of stitches you can get away with on a circular needle is however many stitches will reach around it.   You can’t work 40 stitches in the round on a circular needle, unless you’re willing to use a really teeny short circular needle, which, just, ugh.  You could do it on double-pointed needles, but then you’d be working on double-pointed needles, which have their charms to be sure, but which will tend to get annoyingly hung up in my sleeves or leap deftly into the crack of the couch cushions, and then I have to pause the movie, turn on the light, get up and take the couch apart…

See what I mean?  I just knit it flat, it’s easier. 

As I worked on this, with its manly blues and subdued neutrality, I thought I would stash it as a future gift for one of the wonderful men in my life. 

DSCF2126a

But I really like it on me.  Sorry, boys! 

29 comments:

  1. I don't know about any of this knitting jargon, but your scarf is really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the color really makes your eyes pop!

    keep it for yourself ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another super duper knit - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only wish I were as talented as you...Bravo!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great scarf! And I am with you in your envy of those with warm, sunny spring weather! I'm in Jersey and we got 6 inches of snow again last night!!! But like you said it's March... :) I am also still making scarves and wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done Kristen! I think it's something I could try if it wasn't already 75 degrees (sorry!). Have to find out about the"carry the yarn" part though. It looks really cute on you,(even the chin shots), the guys will have to do without this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I have begun your colourful version and am loving it. Could you give any tips on sewing it up? Doyou turn it inside out to sew up? what is the neatest way to do the seam?
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use mattress stitch--here's a good tutorial:

      http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

      :)

      Delete
  8. Ooo I love it, wouldn't give to the men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful stripes, love the shades and the scarf suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply Beautiful - described well with both adjectives I think. How many men have you got in your life??!! Funny... I have funky zip brooches to show you here:

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/zip-brooch.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kristen - love LOVE LOVE your scarf and don't you dare going giving it away!!!!!!!!! Those colours go with anything and it's going to be one of those perfect items that you just grab as you walk out the door and everyone comments on! Totally agree re knitting in the round, knitting flat is so easy and doable in front of a good movie or reading..... always nice to have a easy peasy WIP!!! xxx ps the chin looks great too!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely scarf! As for knitting skinny in the round, two words--magic loop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are great! I wish I could have your energy and your love for knitting........ you are so good at doing everything... If you were in Italy we would tell you BRAVA, BRAVISSIMA!!!!!
    Gianna from Florence, Italy.... a great fan of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU. CRACK. ME. UP! (and I love your blog!)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, another purl fan! I only recently started knitting, but I much prefer purl to knit!

    Love the scarf :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the scarf. Keep it. And I, too, don't mind purling. Can't figure out why others don't like it. Would love a post on sewing knitting seams, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How on earth do find the time to knit as much as you do? I mean my kids are grown and I have a lot of free time but not so much I could knit all day. It just seems bizzare. I also understand mindless knitting for relaxing because winter seems so incredibly long. But my goodness how on earth again..do you find the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Honey Don't be so hard on yourself!
    YOURE BEAUTIFUL!
    Scarf ain't bad either tee hee!!!
    We had snow yesterday here on the island..... rain came in later in day however and washed it away! Unless Mother Nature has other plans I think that may have been the last hurrah for us...
    Glad You opted to keep this One for You <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh hello beautiful, i love seeing you in your stripy scarf, and couldn't agree more with everything you said. i like to purl too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifull Kirsten! There is something magical about this thin stripes...I just love them. I just finished one of those striped cowls And I did it on the round bcz (shhhh... I'm one of those girls that doesn't really like purl so much... I don't hate it bcz I don't hate any part of knitting. But I do enjoy the knitting stitch a lot more).
    Go check it out if you have a second :)
    As always you amaze me on how talented you are!
    The scarf look great on you...just as beautiful as the model :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous stripy scarf - I love the blues together! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kirsten I would so LOVE to meet you. When are you gonna come to the UK and see me?!!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great knit!

    By the way, you can get around the circular needle too long for your stitch count problem by using the magic loop technique :)

    ReplyDelete