Sunday, March 10, 2013

TV Technicolor Blanket

DSCF2073a

This is the latest in what seems to be my current series--Stripes:  A Hectic Melange of Whatever’s In the Cupboard.  It has an almost vibratory quality—as I look at it, my eyes can not rest, which your Studio Art 101 professor will tell you is not necessarily a plus.  It hums.  It’s like an optical migraine.  It might give you one, if you peer at it too long.  The interspersed neutrals offer breathing space and contrast, but the saturated darks just keep jumping, waving at me, jostling for attention.  Looklooklooklook!

DSCF2078a

I began this, as usual, in an effort to cultivate a long term project for the winter.  I spent a few lovely months knitting long scarves in stockinette stitch, using random oddments from my leftovers basket, which sat beside my chair, always at the ready.  I knit some sections that were wide (45 stitches, 60 stitches) and some that were narrow (one of them is 15 stitches across) to accommodate the tiny leftover pieces.  I made an effort to place the colors well, all of which went down the tubes when I sewed the long strips together and pink and blue ended up next to each other a lot. 

DSCF2074a

I chose the widths of the strips at random, trying to make sure there were a roughly even number of wide vs. narrow.  I worked 54 color stripes of eight rows each, then bound off and set the piece aside, and began another.  When the total number of cast on stitches equaled 285, I bound off the last strip and sewed them all together using mattress stitch.  I lost my mojo a little bit at this point, because it was all very wonky and weird, and then I was in the yarn store browsing around while they were having a class in the back, and I heard the instructor telling them [the truth] that no matter what you do to it, stockinette stitch will curl at the edges, and there’s no hope for it, and that they should not use stockinette stitch for things that they wish would lie flat.  Which, of course, is completely true, but which fact I have managed to circumvent on occasion, using the almighty steam iron and a couple other tricks; chiefly, a single crocheted border using a relatively small hook.  Still, I fretted.  The blanket was curling at the edges, a lot.  But I blocked the heck out of it, and of course, it turned out okay.  The blanket is flat.  So, yes, stockinette stitch will curl, no matter what you do.  That’s true.  But, you can also sometimes block out the curl, which is also true.  There you go, a little piece of knitting paradox. 

DSCF2069a 

When it was all finished and I held it up, we agreed it looks just like a television test pattern.  This station is experiencing technical difficulties.  (Remember that?)  The skinnier panels appear to neatly, almost disturbingly, bisect a larger striped scheme.  There is an effect of its having been cut up and sewn back together wrong.  My brain keeps trying to organize the stripes, to sort the patterns, and keeps failing. 

DSCF2065a

Maybe I’m just being rebellious, but I sort of love all that discord.  It’s exciting, it’s crazy, it’s beautiful.  

DSCF2082a

71 comments:

  1. Me gusta mucho la colcha,tu blog es encantador.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! It reminds me of a Bridget Riley painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. It's incredible. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A masterpiece to be sure!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright and beautiful!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect. As I have said before, you always make the best, most beautiful things. It reminds me of patchwork. Gorgeous colours too. Have you got any of that yarn left? Matching cushion perhaps?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love it. What a fantastic way to use up all those odds and ends, and makes a change from numerous granny squares which then need to be sewn together. Love it, x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That FABULOUS blanket wouldn't look out of place around Joseph's shoulders - it's a technicolour dream! Very well done you - you have the patience of a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous and perfect. Your projects make me want to be a better knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. What a fantastic work. And I could kill for that chair. Makes the blanket look even nicer. I am in ave of your knitting pace... I don't knit and a blanket like that would probably take me a good 10 years. Be proud. Love it. I do.
    Annette
    My Rose Valley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous, what a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waaohhh! I really enjoyed reading your blog, so I immediately became your follower.

    For those interested, currently there's a givewaway at:
    http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is truly amazing, gorgeous use of color, even if it was random.
    Love it.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well if this is the test pattern, I can't wait to see the final result! Another beautiful piece ... thanks for never disappointing ;) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely: an abstract, totally randomised pattern. Your patience sewing all those strips together is enviable - I would have give up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an amazing beautiful blanket! I would have surely given up along time ago. I am so glad you stuck with it and look what you created! It's Awesome!!
    Hugs, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks comfy and cozy! You did a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seriously need this in my house! I honestly don't have the patience (or budget unfortunately!) to complete something like this, but ooooooohh I want this so bad!!
    It's excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So amazing. Words can not describe how much I love/covet a blanket like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely, bright colors, I love it, looks fantastic on the bed

    Lluisa x

    http://spinningyarn74.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is 'eye-poppingly' great. I love it!

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have created a masterpiece again, it is so beautiful!! Groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is PERFECTION. I'd wear it like a cape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it,it truly zzzzzings with colour xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loves the previews, but now it is official: I am in love with your blanket!!! It is a work of art. Congratulations!
    ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really funky. And thanks for bringing back memories of television test patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First word out of my mouth when I seen it was, "Wow"! Definitely a WOW! It's just beautiful and I so admire your creativity and perserverance. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow thats fantastic! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Kirsten, I missed a couple of your posts. I had a problem on my blog and it too some of my sidebar out...
    Love it, love it!
    I am always so impressed with how much you can get done in just a couple of months ( I don't even know if it has been that long). You are amazing and the blanket is gorgeous. I can't wait until I have more time so I can knit more.
    The blanket is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful blanket! you are very quick at knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. As always - you're blankets are just the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohhhhh! I love your new blanket. Lovely color combination

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it, and yes very "technical difficulties" in style but I love it for being off the wall and breaking some rules! I am getting on well with my French Stripey throw from your beach stripe crochet pattern. Stripes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  34. love this crazy blanket!!!!!
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it! It is great. Such a joy to look at especially at this dreary time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I adore your "Technical difficulties" blanket! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Kristen you never fail to make me laugh out loud!!! I love your blanket and when I first saw it I thought 'Whoever made that forgot to take their pill this morning!" ... Will normal service be resumed shortly????? xxx ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! This might be my favorite comment ever! :D

      Delete
  38. GREAT finish Kristen! You're right..it does remind me of the tv test pattern, but sooo much prettier. NOW is your stash any smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have a finished item to view too, a spring vest. Check it out here:
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh wow this is beautiful crazy, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That blanket of yours is gorgeous. On a dreary, cloudy, and overcast day, it certainly does it's share of bringing out bunches of cheeriness. Lovely...
    And on another note, are all of the colors you used the same weight of yarn? The palette is great!
    Thanks for your inspiration as always,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes, these are all worsted weight yarns, though I confess I am not above sneaking in a light worsted or DK yarn if the color is just right. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kristen!
      I can only hope my bits and pieces of yarn can one day grow up to be a blanket like yours.
      Ann

      Delete
  42. YOWZA Kristen!!!!
    Colorlicious!!!!
    As always: brilliant compelling and cozy!!!!
    If I ever catch up I've a pile of bits and pieces that would benefit from a project like this...
    Of course I can not imagine wanting to knit it when I can crochet so much more at a faster pace,
    but that perhaps might just be the challenge I need!!
    Kudos on another wonderful WIP completed!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love it! So bright and full of zest - just what these dreary end of winter day's need ... I also love your witty writing - always makes me smile!
    Thanks for brightening up this dull, grey day!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this one! The simple pattern and all these colours are looking awesome! Liefs Else X

    ReplyDelete
  45. i don't know which i enjoy more, your knitting or your writing. fantastic blanket my friend. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  46. Absolutely incredible, I love love it. Yes i love the jingle-jangle of the colours too, it's alive and kicking and buzzing with energy, pretty much how i imagine you to be!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. What an amazing blanket! I also love it's craziness and colour, just awesome, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the blanket, the chair and the floorboards, just my sort of thing x

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is amazing! I love the colours and I really enjoyed your way of writing, I'm now a follower :) Have a wonderful day! Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  50. I call it: luxury!!! Your blanket is really sooo nice!
    Have a great day, Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a beautiful blanket!! Love those colors

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think that the blanket is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This blanket is just phenomenal. So beautiful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete