Thursday, April 4, 2013

Funny Hat

DSCF2238a

The scraps.  THE SCRAPS.  Nobody should have this many scraps.  I love my basket of scraps, but I can’t help wanting it to make something of itself, you know?  I don’t really want the scraps to go away; I don’t want to have No Scraps, but I look at them like a problem to solve.  I keep arranging them, saying “Hmm, and “Why do I have so much lilac?” The smaller balls of leftover bits have risen up and announced that they would like to be a whole bunch of striped hats, apparently with a vaguely naughty flavor about them, eep!  And so it went yesterday.  As I slouched horizontally on the furniture watching back-to-back episodes of Lidia’s Italy on PBS, I cranked out a couple striped hats, re-inventing the wheel for no good reason and making the pattern up as I went.  As if there aren’t enough hat patterns in the world already.  Anyway, I think it is adorable; the crazy colors all in random order, ending with that little nozzle at the top.  It kind of makes me giggle.  And also, a hat is fast.  Instant gratification.

DSCF2236a

Miserably, this morning it snowed again.  Hold me.  I am so over it.  Anyway, Dean, who is totally game, saw me angling myself at the mirror, trying to see the hat on my own head from one awkward angle and another, and he said, “I’ll put it on.” 

DSCF2237a

And out he went, into the yard.  Because, you know, the light was better. 

So there’s me, still in the kitchen, still in my jammies, hanging out the open window with the camera.  He’s out in the back yard, sidestepping the thawing chicken poo and trying to get into optimum position.  Giant fluffy flakes are starting to accumulate on my bare arms, and I’m art directing the photo shoot, saying, “Get closer.  Not that close.  Turn around, I can’t see the nozzle.  Do a 3/4 turn toward the chickens.  Other way.”  Snow was collecting on him, too.

He got tired of being serious, in a hurry.

DSCF2239a

DSCF2240a

DSCF2242a

DSCF2243a

“Haha! That’s great!” I said, “now, do something funny.”

DSCF2244a

“We’re done here.” 

Models.  So temperamental.

They tell me it will be warm tomorrow, but I’ll believe that when I see it. 

35 comments:

  1. love the model, he suits the hat very much. I am not surprised that the hat feels so much faster than your blankets!!! very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha so funny and what a great model! So enjoyed reading this, the things we do for a good photograph! Rowen@Coastal Colours x

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice stripy hat!!!!
    your model has been great!!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have mechanical hands. You seem to whizz through so many projects so quickly. Love looking at your finished pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your model should keep the hat it suits him x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try again, too many typos! I love your posts they always make me 'titter'. What a willing model and so handsome too! I have just finished a hat with scraps but my model was very well behaved...

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-sublime-hat.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well give Dean a gold star from me - what a hero! Love the little nozzle bit on the top of the hat x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great hat and great modelling, if you get bored of straight stripes you could always throw in some chevrons? Something like: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chevron-love-mittens and the matching hat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah! what a fun hat (and model!) I really like thinking about what I'll do with my scraps while I'm making a project, I'm reaching the end of a really bright ripple blanket and have lots of little balls to play with, I already have a couple of projects I want to use them for
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There, perhaps now he needs a "coat of many colors"?!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good sport, uh, I mean model! Awesome hat! And if you want to let on, I do think he was funny, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristen...Thank you and your other half for the big smile to start my day. What a wonderful model!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehe ... that's fab, what wonderful cheery pics. I to am so over the snow that has been lying on the ground here for 2 weeks now. Hurry up Spring. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I wish my family members were so willing to model my makes as yours are. When I approach them with a hat and a question on my lips, they scurry away and I'm left putting hats on things like glass cake domes. Today is going to be 10'C! TEN! Well, bless my frost-bitten cheeks, that wind chill sure changes things. Happy Day Kristen :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the willing model that helped you out with this photo shoot. Awesome! Love the hat also in all its scrappy colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the snow, but love the hat. Husbands are adorable when they think it is important enough to model.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's so cute! I laughed a lot reading this post. He's an interesting model and so cooperative! I watch Lidia's Italy every night!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh your hubby is so sweet to oblige in the modelling department! I have a load of scraps building up , maybe a hat is in order...oh and yes its been lightly snowing here too. Getting boring now! x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny man :-) Love the nozzle-thingey.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the hat but what a diva, lol, x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kristen, I am still laughing as I type to you. Thank you and Dean for the fun. Why am I not surprised that you can make "scraps" look so snazzy :) We are having rain today and it along with warmer temps will eventually reach you...honest!
    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it ... The hat is great and whimsical and the photo shoot just a hoot! ...free entertainment ... I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So funny! And so good to have such a congenial model.

    ReplyDelete
  25. :) I have to smile!!! Really funny!!! :) Have a wonderful weekend! J.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bless Dean!
    You take good care of such a great man.

    I feel inspired to make a haiku because today is poetry day at:
    http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be



    ReplyDelete
  27. So wonderful! The story, the model, the hat, the nozzle, .... You are the best!
    xxx
    Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hahaha! Your husband is a good sport! Your striped hat turned out great, LOVE the nozzle thing. The snowflakes make a perfect addition to the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha, great hat, LOVE the snow (sorry, i hope it melts soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This post made me laugh so hard. I love the hat. It is awesome!I like the tip the best, in purple. Perfection. And your model is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. He looks fun! and a nice hat! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  32. So funny photos! Great compliment to the model and photographer :-). I like that hat a lot! Is the pattern already to find somewhere?

    ReplyDelete