Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Blustery

DSCF2529a

It seems like this cold spring is the story everywhere.  I try to find the beauty in it, and I do love the sodden, gloomy skies and the way pink blossoms look against the storm clouds.  So muted, this year, is everything.  So grayed out.  And then will be one gorgeous blue afternoon—yesterday—of basking in sunshine, lounged lazily on a chair watching birds squabble in the branches above me, Dean spotting a woodpecker camouflaged against a tree and coming to get me, to show me [as I was typing that, just now, just this minute, the woodpecker came again to the fence post outside the window, flicking his bright red cap and his quite dangerous-looking beak—he’s kind of an exotic character here in my neighborhood] and I remember how much I love summer, and the next day, cold and rainy again, can be hard to swallow.  I really want to enjoy these days, though, so for now I’m leaving the tags on my new bikini and bundling up, and there’s lots of knitting.  I always knit year-round (as if there would be any stopping me—I am a vaguely anxious, okay, cantankerous harridan, if you take away my knitting) but in this long, blustery cold season, I’ve been knitting scarves.  Serious woolies.  One way or another, I will be warm.

DSCF2528a

This pattern is always so rewarding.  When in doubt, when I can’t find anything else fun to make, and when there isn’t a blanket anywhere on the project horizon, I turn to it.  This one is my third in this pattern, and this time I used Noro Silk Garden, scored in the Great 70% Off Sale of 2012.  Of course, I lost the ball bands—there are two skeins each of two different colorways here, alternating against each other in an endlessly interesting striping pattern.  I can hardly knit this scarf fast enough.  I want to see What.  Happens. Next!  

DSCF2419a

DSCF2424a

DSCF2429a

Swoon!  Infallible, this pattern.  It’s a winner, every time. 

27 comments:

  1. I love this! Definitely a 'must-make' some time. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deliciously coloured! I really like the way you've taken two colourways and alternated them. Very addictive knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... very well said, yummy colors!!! Oh please.. I'd really like to share at least half of the degrees from here, as it is going to be +48C soon! So enjoy your spring days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen is a beautiful scarf! I even imagine what it's warm and cozy! I also love to knit and beautiful yarn. And the name of your multi-colored yarn for this scarf? I often use a company Alize Cashmere and Drops
    We have in this year, the weather is still not old. Spring does not end. It is waiting for the summer to go on nature. There I also love to knit :)
    I liked the VS blog enrolled in regular readers. I will come for your new stories!
    Catherine, Russia

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh so pretty! i love noro too (and jared)what a lovely colorful way to stay warm kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely scarf it's beautiful, it's is such a shame we still need scarves at this time of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful scarf but it's so sad that we still need to be wearing scarves in May ... come on sun shine! ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the thing for this Spring, sadly! Lovely colours, it looks so cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - and in that yarn I imagine it is so soft. Maybe you can wear your bikinis underneath a nice big woolly jumper?! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it warms up soon, and that sunny skies stay with you for days and days.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just beautiful! It certainly looks cosy - I think I will have to knit one up for winter - or now? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this...the color changes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful! I love the way the colors seem to blend together but still stand out from one another. Cantankerous harridan - blahahaha! You're so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! It's at least 110 here every day now so we are looking for ways to keep cool. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to knit and crochet year-round, but when it's hot my hands get too sweaty. How do you knit or crochet with sweaty hands?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful scarf, must be great to wear it. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always loved the look and colours of the Noro range but when I got to grab and touch a skein or two it felt rather scratchy...but it's obviously not when worn as a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people claim the Noro softens when washed--we'll see, because I have to admit, I do find it a little scratchy. Maybe it's the mohair?

      Delete
    2. Oooh can you include a scratchy-ness update in a future post please?

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous colours and looks soooo warm and cozy. It may be the first of June here, but it is cool enough outdoors today for me to wear that scarf! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. You just can't beat Noro, looks lovely every time. Hope you get some warm weather soon, after all it's June now, and soon you will be turning on the fans and checking out your tan lines!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a question with the pattern.
    CO odd #
    slip 1 purlwise, then P, K, P, K...

    Did I understand correctly?

    Gorgeous, btw, I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the basic pattern--the slip 1 at the beginning of each row is optional, but it does make a nice edge. Otherwise, it's just a k1,p1 ribbing. Good luck! :)

      Delete