Monday, May 13, 2013

Weather Report—still cold.

DSCF2415a

Don’t be fooled by the green grass and leafy tree in this photo.  It is cold here, mercilessly.  It is taking the stuffing out of me, I’ll tell you.  I may have seen a few snowflakes today, for real.  I won’t be putting the woolens away just yet.  Ugh, enough about the weather. 

DSCF2414a

I made these arm warmers because I’m cold, and also because I love love loved the yarn.  It is Knitcol trends, in the very poetically named color 047.  Really, I think it is the name of the yarn that tempted me this time.  047.  Sigh!  Swoon!  It sounds like a song, doesn’t it? 

DSCF2040a

I tried without success to make a hat with it, noticing eventually that the stitch count has to be just so or the self-striping doesn’t work.  So that left me with the option of socks, a scarf, or arm warmers.  I guess my arms were cold.  Plus, I just wanted to see this yarn in action.

I made up the pattern, so if your arms are cold and you’re sick of winter and it snowed where you are this morning and you just can’t take it anymore and you happen to have about 250 meters of a DK weight self-striping yarn lying around and you feel like making a pair of these today, here’s what I did: 

Using US 4 double pointed needles, I cast on 60 and worked about three rounds in stockinette stitch, then decreased six stitches evenly spaced in the next round—54 stitches.  Then I knit around and around for awhile and watched TV until it seemed like it was time for another decrease, about six inches later.  I decreased another six stitches evenly spaced in the next round—48 stitches.  Then I watched some more TV and knit around and around without paying attention until it was time to make a hole for my thumb, which I made by binding off 10 stitches, then knitting around again, and when I came to the bound off stitches, I cast on ten.  Then I kept knitting around and around until the first ball of yarn was almost gone, saving just enough to single crochet around both edges and the thumbhole.  Make another one with the second ball of yarn. 

DSCF2413a

Getting proactive around here.  No griping about the sleet!  No moping!  No lamenting the potential loss of another season of peaches.  (I might lament that a little bit, you can understand, I’m sure.)  Just knitting.  Knit.  Knit.  Knit. 

26 comments:

  1. Such pretty yarn! I'll have to check that out. Stay warm and keep up that wonderful knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,I Know!!!!What's up with this darn weather!!!It's mid May and it's still sweltering hot here!!!Come on!!!Please can we have winter now!!!!The signs are there but not the cold!!!Loooove that yarn and what a great idea to make arm warmers!!!Unique!!!And it keeps the stipes in pattern!!!Nice!!!Really, really nice!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very pretty arm warmers. I made a hat and scarf out of worsted weight Knitcol and I love them! It's still a little cool here in Texas but I did put away my winter clothes today except for a cotton shawl to wear to the theater. I hope it's not too early! HA! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're really cute. I like that yarn a lot, old 047.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you can just grab a ball of yarn and knit something pretty without a pattern in sight. Love the colors in this yarn, even the tag is cute!
    I guess I shouldn't tell you I went swimming this past weekend, and the grasses are already turning brown. Okay, never mind, you didn't hear it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my baby girl a little cardigan in this and we called it her festival cardigan, the pattern didn't run out as well as you have shown but the two side fronts matched enough. I loved knitting with it, every row felt like a surprise. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love these arm warmers! It is still cold here in the UK too, so I am with you on the weather. we had no summer (I mean NO summer -the wettest one on record) so I am rather desperate for the weather to improve. But arm warmers like these would cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic.....gonna be making me a whole bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look perfect for this crap weather we're having lately. We had a small scale blizzard whipping against our windows after supper last night ... wha?! But your arm warmers DO look lovely and cozy, and you'll be able to still sit outdoors and knit with all that woolen charm covering your arms. I admire your pattern-writing ;) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really great, they will do the job x

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're gorgeous! I KNEW there must be SOMETHING good about crappy weather. I was right - wonderful woollens! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. practical and cute! i hope it warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the yarn is incredible!!


    we had snow here as well *YUCK* I am SO over it already


    omg!! no peaches??? you should wear black to morn their demise :'(

    wait...you sort of are!


    poor lost peaches

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so pretty. I love the yarn too. Gee, I wish I was better (way better) at knitting! You're so inspiring, Kristen...and so quick at bopping out fab projects!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What cool yarn! I have been wanting to make hand arm warmers all winter and just have not gotten to it! These are beautiful! I actually still use them! It was a high of 50 degrees here today! Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is some very awesome yarn you've got there! ( and I was all thinkin that you had made the stripes yourself... my yarn ignorance is showing here... is self striping the same as varagated? I have never seen any varigated yarn turn out like that... how do you spell varigated anyway?! I've tried 4 different ways and the computer red pencil has come out on all of them. I'm to lazy to look it up, maybe tomorrow). Back to the point I was trying to make about the awesome yarn and the totally cool arm warmers that you just "whipped up"...if you follow
    Kristen's blog, prepare to be impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jules! "Variegated" just means the yarn has color variety, and can be self-patterning or not--handpainted, space-dyed, self-striping, multicolored, and so on, are all variegated yarns. :)

      Delete
  17. I bet that yarn was fun to work with, knitting away seeing what came next.
    love them,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. ps: on the webby you linked, 047 is named "Gauguin Fancy"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gauguin Fancy!!! Now that's what I'm talking about! Now I love this yarn even more. :)

      Delete
  19. These are beautiful - very inspiring!! I'm gonna search for some "OH..47!!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Kristen,
    Gorgeous warmers and they do look warm. Love those colours.
    I've googled the name of the yarn and see I can order from etsy...bit expensive but this yarn does look extra nice.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Groovy yarn Kristen. I love how you just knit till it looks right. I think you'll be forgiven for your lamentations if you lose another season of peaches - I certainly would if I were in your position. Instead i lament the loss of my creative time... Between school runs, a pre-schooler and a baby who is trying to give up a sleep... :)
    Let's hope the warmer weather kicks in and you get a bumper crop instead.
    Sheree

    ReplyDelete