Sunday, June 30, 2013

Big Triangle

DSCF2725a

Giant wraps are my new favorite obsession.  They are the coziest things I can imagine, and they offer so much knitting, miles and miles of it, which seems to be what I’m after right now.  This one used to be a sweater, knitted by me about five years ago, and unraveled recently, in order to re-use the yarn.  I think this yarn is Kathmandu DK, a cottony-looking wool with lots of tweedy flecks in it.  It looks kind of recycled, if you know what I mean, like it’s been re-spun, very fluffy.  It’s pretty and soft.  I had spit-joined it all together when I made the sweater, so after unraveling, I was left with one huge ball of this khaki color and two smaller balls in muted shades of lavender and lilac. 

DSCF2730a

The lavender is going to be what I hope will be a huge ruffle at the bottom edge of what I hope will be a really huge triangle.  I guess what I’m aiming for is half a blanket.  Turning that air-conditioner on, then?  Go ahead, I’ll be ready.  (Ugh, air-conditioning.  Don’t let me get all wound up on that subject.)  This edging right now is at about 700 stitches per knuckle-busting row.  I’ll just say that it’s miserable, and that I can’t wait for it to be over.  There’s no way for 700 stitches to slide happily along any needle. 

DSCF2732a

In between rows I’ve been massaging my wrists, making jam and pie, thrifting beautiful old mismatched plates, and washing all the quilts.  And binge-watching 30 Rock on Netflix.  My cherry tree is bursting with fruit; I’ll never be able to reach it all, even with the ladder.  Dean picked a half-bushel yesterday morning, in the rain, barely making a dent. It’s a grand thing that they are my very favorite thing to eat.  I’m looking for a sweet cherry pie recipe, got any good ones?

DSCF2726a

One row at a time. 

18 comments:

  1. THAT My Friend is going to BE MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!
    And WOW 700 stitches per row? Not even sure I could manage to cast on that many without loosing track even with markers LOL!!! Kudos to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that is a HUGE commitment Kristen - well done you! It looks like a lovely yarn.
    And besides tackling your beautiful new up-and-coming wrap, you've been very busy otherwise - wish I could get to that cherry tree!
    Have a great week!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used that brand of yarn before to make a hoodie and I love it. The yarn is very luxurious and warm. Hope you find a good pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You knitting machine, you!
    I'm after a wrap/shawl pattern, I WANT to hook one this winter. Have been furiously printed out pattern after pattern, and this week will be decision making time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how quickly u can knit... Before you know it will be done and you will be starting on something else...I have never met anybody to knit as far as you...:) this will be a warm one for those first fall cold nights :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen,Gosh,that is a huge thing to work on!!!Good on you for recycling an old sweater!!!I have never thought of doing that but it's a great idea if you really like the yarn!!!Nice!!!Have a great day!!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me that is a woolly mammoth. I planted a cherry tree about 5 years ago and my dad's horse ate it! so enjoy the cherries. We have been on an adventure check out here Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. 700 stitches! wow, you go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my 700 stitches, you're either brave or mad. Wish I had a cherry tree, not sure they grow well here in the UK probably not warm enough but I love cherries ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martha will never steer you wrong!

    http://www.marthastewart.com/314828/sweet-cherry-pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a crazy knitting machine! I would love the cherries from your tree! Prices for cherries at the market are astronomical! My grandmother had a cherry tree in the yard when I was growing up( and pear, peach,plum and several apple!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 700 stitches per row....
    Your work looks beautiful and the end result will be stunning. Love to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to re-use your yarn! This wrap is going to be lovely. Looks like you're logging in a lot of miles on this one.
    Enjoy the cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see the finished triangle - you are such a busy bee when do you rest x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cherry pie sounds so good right now. Wow, that's some extensive knitting. No wonder your wrists hurt. I love the yarn and I can't wait to see the wrap. Your work is so nice and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We, too, are madly picking cherries from our tree. We always have so many that the neighbours start running when they see us coming as we're always trying to give so many away. It seems weird to be doing the same thing in western Canada that you're doing in the eastern US. Still don't know how you manage to knit when it's hot out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 700 stitches...just the thought of it kills me! It's looking pretty though, and I know just like everything else you zip through, (you're amazingly fast!) this will be gorgeous! Enjoy your cherry pie. Umm! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. great !
    Greetings from Poland :)
    Katarzyna


    www.sajuki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete